Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tabbed WebBrowser - a work in progress

Tabbed WebBrowser - a work in progress

Lots of people have asked lots of questions relating to building a tabbed Web browser. I've seen the same questions asked again and again so, rather than answering them again and again, I'm going to build a tabbed Web browser, piece by piece, and post the result here.

The first stage is the WebBrowser controls on the TabPages. It's usually beginners but I've answered the question of how to put multiple WebBrowser controls on multiple TabPages too many times already. One of the basic ideas of OOP is encapsulation. Another is inheritance. Let's put those together to inherit the TabPage control to encapsulate a WebBrowser control.
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Public Class WebBrowserTabPage
    2.     Inherits System.Windows.Forms.TabPage
    4.     Private _browser As New WebBrowser
    6.     Public ReadOnly Property Browser() As WebBrowser
    7.         Get
    8.             Return Me._browser
    9.         End Get
    10.     End Property
    12.     Public Sub New()
    13.         Me._browser.Dock = DockStyle.Fill
    14.         Me.Controls.Add(Me._browser)
    15.     End Sub
    17. End Class
    Now, instead of adding regular TabPages to your TabControl you create WebBrowserTabPage objects and add them. Each one IS a TabPage so it can be added to a TabControl, and each one creates and displays it's own WebBrowser control.

I've added a ReadOnly property via which you can access the WebBrowser control from the TabPage. This allows you to access properties, methods and events of the WebBrowser from outside the TabPage. If you wanted to be "more correct" you could keep the WebBrowser private and declare pass-through members in the WebBrowserTabPage class, e.g.
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Public Sub Navigate(ByVal urlString As String)
    2.     Me._browser.Navigate(urlString)
    3. End Sub
    That would be considerably more work though, as the WebBrowser class has quite a few members.

Stay tuned for additions and improvements but, for now, it's a start.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Tabbed WebBrowser - a work in progress

Here's the first update. It's a couple of improvements to the WebBrowserTabPage class.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Public Class WebBrowserTabPage
    2.     Inherits System.Windows.Forms.TabPage
    4.     Private WithEvents _browser As WebBrowser
    6.     Public ReadOnly Property Browser() As WebBrowser
    7.         Get
    8.             Return Me._browser
    9.         End Get
    10.     End Property
    12.     Public Sub New()
    13.         Me.New(New WebBrowser)
    14.     End Sub
    16.     Public Sub New(ByVal browser As WebBrowser)
    17.         browser.Dock = DockStyle.Fill
    18.         Me.Controls.Add(browser)
    19.         Me._browser = browser
    21.         If browser.DocumentTitle = String.Empty Then
    22.             Me.Text = "(Empty)"
    23.         Else
    24.             Me.Text = browser.DocumentTitle
    25.         End If
    26.     End Sub
    28.     Private Sub _browser_DocumentTitleChanged(ByVal sender As Object, _
    29.                                               ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles _browser.DocumentTitleChanged
    30.         Me.Text = Me.Browser.DocumentTitle
    31.     End Sub
    33. End Class
    Firstly the _browser variable has been declared WithEvents. I've then handled its DocumentTitleChanged event so the the page title is displayed automatically on the tab.

I've also changed the constructor a bit and added another. This allows you to create a page with an existing WebBrowser control. The reason for this will become clear at a later stage.

Thanks for this, it is very helpful!

The next instalment is here. It's nothing too exciting. I've added some pass-through members to the WebBrowserTabPage class for what I consider to be the most important members of the WebBrowser class. By "pass-through members" I mean public members whose only purpose is to provide access to the corresponding member of the internal WebBrowser control. For instance, the WebBrowserTabPage.IsBusy property simply returns the value of the WebBrowser.IsBusy property. This just makes things a bit cleaner because we can access members of the tab page instead of having to access a member of its Browser property. The Browser property is still there in case we need to access other members though.

This is pretty much it for the WebBrowserTabPage. The next step will be to customise the TabControl a little to get easier access to WebBrowserTabpage objects, rather than casting TabPage references all the time. After that it will be time to create a UserControl that incorporates the customised TabControl but also lets us hide the tabs when there is only one page open, which many browsers do. Beyond that it will be time to put that control on a form and start implementing some real Web browser functionality.

Back again with another addition. As I said it would be, this is not especially exciting but it is useful. It's a customised TabControl will return the SelectedTab or any tab page by index as a WebBrwoserTabPage reference. That saves you having to cast from type TabPage to type WebBrowserTabPage yourself every time you want to reference a page.

Note that this control will be beefed up later on, with the addition of things like context menus on each tab and a close button on each tab too. That's advanced functionality though, so let's get the basics in place first.

The next installment will be the promised UserControl, which will be a bit more interesting. After that there will be a form involved, so we will start to see some of this functionality in action. Initially the form will have an address bar, a Go button and Back and Forward buttons.

Could i get a full project of this?

Quote Originally Posted by gameguru345
    Could i get a full project of this?
    I will be attaching the project to each post as I go as soon as there's a project worth posting. That will be when there's more than just my own code involved. That will be as soon as I create a user control or a form. That will be the next stage.

thank you, but please hurry, i have limited time to get the tabs. (homework project)

Quote Originally Posted by gameguru345
    thank you, but please hurry, i have limited time to get the tabs. (homework project)
    Yes, let me hurry to do this on my own time so you don't have to do your own homework.

soz, cant you just send a full project of your last one. it would make things easier

and no your not doing it for me its a feature i want to have in my own project.

I have a small problem when i add the first tab it works great when i add others all the web browser controls disapear am i doing some thing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dead-man
    I have a small problem when i add the first tab it works great when i add others all the web browser controls disapear am i doing some thing wrong
    Yes you are.

To those who were following this thread, I apologise for letting it go stale. I have been looking for a job and a place to live in recent weeks. I've been spending most of my free time improving my ASP.NET skills. I start a new job in a week and once I'm settled in I'll get back to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney
    To those who were following this thread, I apologise for letting it go stale. I have been looking for a job and a place to live in recent weeks. I've been spending most of my free time improving my ASP.NET skills. I start a new job in a week and once I'm settled in I'll get back to this project.
    You going to be alright? At least where you live the economy's not f**ked (unlike where I live - Michigan, USA)
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

Hey! I'm finally back to this project. I have attached the most recent version of the project to the first post in this thread. I'll do the same each time I make changes.

Note that the code is well commented so make sure you read it carefully before posting any questions.

At the moment you can add and close tabs and the application will react appropriately to changes in the selected tab. This means that the window title, the address and the status text and progress will update for the currently selected tab.

The Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop and Open commands don't work at the moment. Working versions of these will be the next addition to the project. After that I'll look at adding functionality like favourites and history, as well as addressing issues like what happens when a new window wants to open.

Questions and suggestions are welcome but I make no guarantees about if or when I'll be able to address them.

Great news Looking forward for uptades

I've added another update to the project. The Back and Forward buttons and menu items now work. I've also added a Home button and menu item and an Options dialogue where you can set the home page. There are a few other little superficial changes that I won't go into. The new version has replaced the old version attached to the first post.

Note that the home page feature demonstrates the use of My.Settings for those who aren't familiar with it. I chose not to bind the controls in the Options dialogue to the settings to allow the user to make changes and then cancel without saving.

It might be superfluous but you could make the default page for each new tab "about:Tabs". Then it shows the "new tab opened" page from Internet Explorer.

Otherwise, a brilliant little application! You could always try and write your own web browser too if you had the patience!
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

If my post has been helpful, please rate it, unless you don't believe in Karma... which actually I don't!

Resources:
    Visual Basic Tutorials (1, 2) | MSDN Library | Google | Krugle | Search Forums

Free components:
    Windows Forms Components | XP Common Controls Library

if you do incorporate anything, make the home page configurable. That annoying home page is one of the reasons i quit using IE. Besides which, even that page itself has a setting to stop you ever seeing it again. then it automatically opens about:blank.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Fanatic Member

jmc, excellent work on this project.

Please can you show me how to capture the url of the currently selected tab within tabbedwebbrowser ?

Quote Originally Posted by Xancholy
    jmc, excellent work on this project.

Please can you show me how to capture the url of the currently selected tab within tabbedwebbrowser ?
    The current project already does that, when a page loads or when you switch tabs.

Fanatic Member

Thanks. I see what you mean. Selected tab's url is displayed in addressbar.

Thanks. I see what you mean. Selected tab's url is displayed in addressbar.
    Uhuh. Look first, ask questions later.

When user selects any tab, how can I find the tab name and refer to that tab in code ? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Referee2424
    When user selects any tab, how can I find the tab name and refer to that tab in code ? Thank you
    did you happen to read his other posts? Read #5 again.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney
    It's a customised TabControl will return the SelectedTab or any tab page by index as a WebBrwoserTabPage reference.
    Thanks> I'm sorry I'm just learning. Please can you show me how to refer to selectedtab by code ?

Thanks> I'm sorry I'm just learning. Please can you show me how to refer to selectedtab by code ?
    No. Download the project. Open it. Read the code.

No ? I had downloaded it, opened it and read the code. OK, then, people seem to be rude on these forums.

Fanatic Member

Code:
    Warning	1	XML comment has a tag with a 'cref' attribute 'OptionsDialogue' that could not be resolved. XML comment will be ignored.	TabbedWeBrowserOptionsDialogue.vb	18	39	Tabbed Web Browser
    Anyone else getting this error ? Also main form line 22/39 same xml 'cref' error.

Code compiles and builds fine though... Just thought I'd check.

No ? I had downloaded it, opened it and read the code. OK, then, people seem to be rude on these forums.
    Maybe people think that when they spend hours creating a sample program for the benefit of others that those others shouldn't really need to ask a questions that are clearly answered in that sample program. Have you searched that code for SelectedTab to see how I've used it? If you have a separate question that doesn't relate to my code specifically then this thread is not the place to post it.

Code:
    Warning	1	XML comment has a tag with a 'cref' attribute 'OptionsDialogue' that could not be resolved. XML comment will be ignored.	TabbedWeBrowserOptionsDialogue.vb	18	39	Tabbed Web Browser
    Anyone else getting this error ? Also main form line 22/39 same xml 'cref' error.

Code compiles and builds fine though... Just thought I'd check.
    That's a warning, not an error, and it doesn't exist in my code. You have presumably changed the name of the OptionsDialogue class to TabbedWeBrowserOptionsDialogue and failed to change the reference to the original class name in the XML documentation comments. Just double-click the warning message in the Error List window and it will take you to the offending line, which you can then edit. You might also like to consider spelling the name of your class correctly. It should be "TabbedWebBrowserOptionsDialogue".

That said, how many Options dialogues are you going to have in the Tabbed Web Browser project that you need to change the name like that anyway? Isn't it fairly obvious that an OptionsDialogue class in a Tabbed Web Browser project is a dialogue for the options for the app without changing the name? What's the point of really long names if they don't actually add any clarity?

Fanatic Member

Nice job jmc on the tabbed browser.

What other plans do you have for this?
    What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by epixelman
    Nice job jmc on the tabbed browser.

What other plans do you have for this?
    What's next?

Bookmarks, history and then some tab-specific features like a right-click menu.

Addicted Member

Wink Re: Tabbed WebBrowser - a work in progress

Jmc, if it's possible, how can I add your WebBrowserTabControl component to my toolbox? I already added files to my project, but WebBrowserTabControl component is still missing...

Edit: Nevermind, I found a video tutorial on youtube
    Last edited by Miha2c30; Aug 28th, 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    If this post helped you, rate it!

yay for youtube :P

Anyway, on topic reply: Great job here , I would ask for permission to use this project as a basis for a big thing I'm doing, but, I'll use it as a reference, cause it is well commented as he has said.

Props to you my friend

Quote Originally Posted by formlesstree4
    yay for youtube :P

Anyway, on topic reply: Great job here , I would ask for permission to use this project as a basis for a big thing I'm doing, but, I'll use it as a reference, cause it is well commented as he has said.

Props to you my friend
    Anything I post on this forum is intended to be free to access and use under any conditions by anyone, unless otherwise stated. I do appreciate your asking though.

Oh ok then, well, I'll still be sure to give you credits in the about page

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

I have removed some posts from this thread. If you have any comments concerning other members then you are welcome to state them directly in a private message and not in the public forums. Please keep this this thread to comments and discussion concerning this codebank submisssion ONLY.

Lively Member

No this doesn't help to download files from FTP server

Addicted Member

Hey JMC, how's this project coming along? You haven't been asked since 25-Aug-08...thought it'd be time to annoy you again! ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast