Thread: What is wrong with this UDF? MS SQL 2K5

Giants World Champs!!!! Mark Gambo's Avatar

What is wrong with this UDF? MS SQL 2K5

Here is my User Defined Function that I am using with MS SQL 2K5:

T-SQL Code:
    1. IF  EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[fn_InsertSplit]') AND type in (N'FN', N'IF', N'TF', N'FS', N'FT'))
    2. DROP FUNCTION [dbo].[fn_InsertSplit]
    3. GO
    5. CREATE  FUNCTION fn_InsertSplit(
    6.     @TableName nVarChar(100),
    7.     @FieldName nVarChar(100),
    8.     @text varchar(8000),
    9.     @delimiter varchar(20) = ' '
    10. )
    12.     RETURNS nvarchar(10)
    14. AS
    16. BEGIN
    17.     DECLARE @index int
    18.     DECLARE @SQL as nVarChar(1000)
    19.     DECLARE @Result nVarChar(100)
    21.     SET @index = -1
    23.     WHILE (LEN(@text) > 0)
    24.       BEGIN  
    25.         SET @index = CHARINDEX(@delimiter , @text)  
    26.         IF (@index = 0) AND (LEN(@text) > 0)  
    27.             BEGIN  
    28.                 SET @SQL = 'INSERT ' + @TableName + '(' + @FieldName + ') VALUES(' + (LEFT(@text, @index - 1)) + ')'
    29.                 EXEC sp_executesql @SQL
    30.                 BREAK  
    31.               END  
    32.         IF (@index > 1)  
    33.             BEGIN  
    34.                 SET @SQL = 'INSERT ' + @TableName + '(' + @FieldName + ') VALUES(' + (LEFT(@text, @index - 1)) + ')'
    35.                 EXEC sp_executesql @SQL
    36.                 SET @text = RIGHT(@text, (LEN(@text) - @index))  
    37.             END  
    38.         ELSE
    39.             SET @text = RIGHT(@text, (LEN(@text) - @index))
    40.         END
    41.     SET @RESULT = 'Done'   
    42.     RETURN @RESULT
    43. END

and I am calling it like this:

T-SQL Code:
    1. SELECT IADATA.dbo.fn_InsertSplit('dbo.College_CLASSES','College_CLASS','A,B,C,D,E,F',',')

I am getting the following error:

Msg 557, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Only functions and extended stored procedures can be executed from within a function.
    Regards,

Mark

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful. Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post". Please use [highlight='vb'] your code goes in here [/highlight] tags when posting code. When a question you asked has been resolved, please go to the top of the original post and click "Thread Tools" then select "Mark Thread Resolved."

PowerPoster

Re: What is wrong with this UDF? MS SQL 2K5

Within a UDF, you cannot execute Insert, Update, Delete statements that will affect database tables.
    sp_ExecuteSQL is not an "extended stored procedure".

Quote Originally Posted by brucevde
    Within a UDF, you cannot execute Insert, Update, Delete statements that will affect database tables.
    sp_ExecuteSQL is not an "extended stored procedure".

Hmmm, so I guess I am out of luck then?
    Regards,

Mark

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful. Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post". Please use [highlight='vb'] your code goes in here [/highlight] tags when posting code. When a question you asked has been resolved, please go to the top of the original post and click "Thread Tools" then select "Mark Thread Resolved."

Quote Originally Posted by brucevde
    Really?

I've never tried to do anything but SELECT's in UDF's.

But it's amazing to me that they prohibit insert, update and delete statements.

Triggers can do insert, update and delete - I always considered a UDF just a cousin of a trigger.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

What you want to do is create a Multistatement Table-valued Function.

The function returns a table representing the splitted values, and you reference it as any other table in an INSERT statement.

Table Value Functions are my new best friend...

I put together a code bank example of using it - with the CROSS APPLY JOIN that really makes then useful

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=502948

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kaffenils
    What you want to do is create a Multistatement Table-valued Function.

The function returns a table representing the splitted values, and you reference it as any other table in an INSERT statement.

But I don't know the name of the table that I want to insert the data into, that is why I am using the Dynamic SQL string.
    Regards,

Mark

Why a function? Should be a stored procedure straight up....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    Why a function? Should be a stored procedure straight up....

-tg

Yeah, I was thinking about that but I never created a function before and I wanted to see what they could do. Basically, what is the difference between a SPROC and a Function? They both can return values, correct?

Thanks!
    Regards,

Mark

Back in SQL 2000 - only SPROCS and UDF's

SPROC could be EXECUTED.

You could take the results of the EXEC and put them into a TEMP TABLE in another SPROC.

But you could not JOIN to the SPROC nor include it in the SELECT list.

UDF's - you could include in the SELECT list.

Keep in mind that the traditional reason for a UDF is for a scalar function - such as formatting a phone #'s with ()-'s or an SSN - pass in a string - pass back out a string. Or a number... You get my meaning?

At any rate - now - with TABLE VALUE FUNCTIONS - the lines are blurred. TVF's can return a table. Can be JOIN'd to in a SELECT. The power of that is tremendous. Now a TVF is basically a VIEW with CODE!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hmm, I need a little more time to wrap my brain around this. Thanks Steve!
    Regards,

Mark