Thread: [2008] compiler crash

[2008] compiler crash

Hi all

I have written a simple program that needs two arrays of 300,000 cells each. The program searchs each cell for certain criteria and returns an answer in a third array, again of length 300,000.

My compiler faults and usually vb itself crashes. This cannot be the computer as I have tried it on two top of the range computers.

Specifically the error says " VB compiler is unable to recover from the following error: system error &H800700008&

I believe my coding to be correct so I must be making some kind of stupid error. Any help you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
    amick

Re: [2008] compiler crash

did you try to do a clean on your project? Try that and see if the error persists.
    Boooya
    • Visual Studio 2008 Professional
    • Don't forget to use [CODE]your code here[/CODE] when posting code
    • Don't forget to rate helpful posts!
    • If you're question was answered please mark your thread [Resolved]

Code Contributions:
    PHP
    PHP Image Gallery v1.0PHP Image Gallery v2.0
    VB 2005
    Find Computers on a networkSimple License EncryptionSQL Server Database Access dllUse Reflection to Return Crystal ReportDocumentSilently Print PDFGeneric Xml Serailizer

Useful Links: (more to come)
    MSDN (The first and foremost)MSDN Design Guidelines API Reference • Inno Setup CompilerInno Setup PreprocessorISTool - Fairly easy to use GUI for creating inno setup projects • Connection StringsNAnt -Automated BuildsCruise Control .NET - Frontend for automated builds

Thanks for the prompt reply bmahler.

How do you go about doing a clean. I open vb and the project and get the compiler error in about thirty seconds.

From the Build menu. Rebuild = Clean + Build

There is only two options under the build menu
    1. build projectname
    2. publish projectname.

I am using Visual basic 2008 express edition. Do i need to download additional software or buy additional software

tks
    amick

Right-click the menu/toolbar area and select Customize. On the Commands tab select the Build category, then drag one or more of the Clean items onto your Build menu. I don't have 2008 Express here but I'm assuming those options are available, just not displayed by default.

Alternatively you can simply go to your project folder and delete the bin and obj folders, which is all Clean does anyway.

It may be that your installation is corrupt too, if the compiler itself is dying. Perhaps a reinstall of the IDE is in order.

Cannot be IDE as this is the second installation on a second computer.

Below is the three error messages that come up.

Error 2 The "Vbc" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.
    at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Hosting.IVbcHostObject.EndInitialization()
    at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Vbc.InitializeHostCompiler(IVbcHostObject vbcHostObject)
    at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Vbc.InitializeHostObject()
    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute()
    at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult) box3
    Error 3 Visual Basic compiler is unable to recover from the following error: System Error &H80070008&
    Save your work and restart Visual Studio.
    Error 1 A problem occurred while trying to set the "Resources" parameter for the IDE's in-process compiler. External component has thrown an exception. box3

It may be that your project is corrupt. You could try starting a new project and then dragging your existing types to that, using Add Existing Item to copy them across.

Frenzied Member

I'm confused. Can you compile it? Is VB crashing at runtime? Have you thought maybe that it's because you have two arrays of 300,000 cells each? Do you really expect VB not to crash?

Have you thought maybe that it's because you have two arrays of 300,000 cells each? Do you really expect VB not to crash?
    Brilliant. Why did I not think of that.

So basically my dataset must be less than than 600,000. Monte Carlo simulation requires the use and storage of over a billion pieces of data. Our in house computer program handles this in seconds.

http://home.earthlink.net/~commander...errorcodes.htm
    &H80070008 Not enough storage is available to process this command.
    Hazarding a guess, I would guess that your in-house computer program handles it by not keeping 600,000 cells in-memory at any one time

Hi axion

So its about redesigning the program i.e putting in loops etc. If you declare an array of 300,000 but do not assign values to parts of the array does this still put a strain on the memory. You see the array values cannot change but I could post the array into the program piecemeal.

Tks
    amick

Short answer: yes, there would be a little strain. System memory management isn't a topic I'm particularly au fait with, so I'll give explanations a skip

Help is at hand though! The clever pixies at Microsoft have an article that introduces, at a very high level, the reader to Windows memory management: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...07/415733.aspx [you don't have to read past the "How much memory does Exchange need?" section :P ]

Frenzied Member

On my computer, I am loading 600,000 indices easily with no errors into an array in around 50 milliseconds. However, it may be failing at your end. Do you really need 300,000 indices in two arrays? Are you sure there isn't a better design or way to do this?