Thread: [RESOLVED] Training Course Selection Help

Resolved [RESOLVED] Training Course Selection Help

Hello. I'm sending a couple of my employees to a VB course over the next couple weeks. Originally I had them going to a VB6, 5 day course, however since then I have found out that I couldn't buy VB6 software any longer to use. I was hoping to get their feet wet in VB6 before moving to ".net" later this year. They both have used Excel VBA and I thought VB6 would be the logical "next step".

Does anyone think going to VB.net will be too big of a jump for them. Like I said, they only have VBA experience.

Another reason for going just to VB6 was that it sounded less involved to get them up and running. Other than the software, can anyone tell me what I will need to get these guys access to in order to use Visual Basic .net since it sounds like I'm going to have to go that direction? Company Intranet access? Server? etc.

One last item. Would Visual Basic Studio be of any value to them if they go to the VB6 class? Maybe I could start them out there?

Thanks for your help.

See what happens when you try to be a nice guy and develop your employees ;-)

TM

Re: Training Course Selection Help

Welcome to the Forums.

I would suggest dropping VB 6 efforts altogether as its unsupported by Microsoft anyways and .NET has been out for 6+ years now. Its got more of a job/market share then VB 6 so its dominant now.

VBA experience is still valuable as there is similar code and even the same code being used.

Take an If Then Else code block. Its still the same. so their experience with decision structure code will still apply.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

If you get any commercially available version of VS and send them to a VB6 class they will thank you somewhat less than you might hope, since all versions of VS are .NET.

If they have any reasonable amount of experience in VBA, then they know VB6, since the language is the same, and the differences will be almost too trivial to bother with. Going with .NET would make much more sense, especially for the reasons that RD pointed out. Of course, if your only need is VBA, then what would you do with .NET? Either VB6 or .NET is for creating stand along applications.

As for what you would need for other hardware and software: Nothing.

I have VS running on laptops, desktops, etc. Though all of them are reasonably good platforms, I can't see much difference between them. If you are running on a Pentium Pro with 256 MB of RAM, then, yeah, you'd want a better computer, but you don't have to have servers for .NET, or anything else. Though to consider it from their point of view, I find my 24" wide format monitor very convenient.

The other item with .NET is the framework, but you probably already have that, and if you don't, you certainly would be getting it with any VS package....or just download it with MS updates, or directly from MS.

By the way, there is a free version of VS: Express. It's stripped down, and not what you'd ultimately want, but if you want to dip your toe in first, that is an option.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

VB.NET is a vastly different language than VB6, the only real similarity is some of the syntax.

The best solution would be to fire those two guys and hire some people with .NET programming experience.

The second best solution would be to skip the VB6 and send them to a .NET programming class. It is a more advanced language than VB6 is, but once you get the hang of it, there's a lot more that you can do a lot easier than could be done with VB6. If you want them to be coding new applications for your company, then you'll get a far greater ROI by having them learn VB.NET rather than Vb6.

Look around for VB Boot Camps.... they're usually pretty good and getting people up and running with .NET.... Forget any VB6 endeavours... despite the whinings and efforts of people, it's a dead end street. And anything they learn about VB6 would be useless in current versions of Visual Studio.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I jumped from vba to vb.net and do on rare occasions use the excel macro recorder to get some code for vb.net.

Thanks for all your help. The VB .net course it is.