Thread: [2.0] How can I make a UserControl only change its width and not height?

Frenzied Member

[2.0] How can I make a UserControl only change its width and not height?

The exact way a TextBox is like. My user control is of only a textbox. Also, if it is set to Multiline, then the user control can then also be height resizable. Thanks.

Re: [2.0] How can I make a UserControl only change its width and not height?

Override the OnResize event and reset the width to a constant value.
    Or Shadow the Size property and force the width
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Looking at the TextBox class definition in Reflector I see that it has the Designer attribute applied and the TextBoxDesigner class specified. I would guess that it is that that controls that behaviour in the TextBox class. Design-time behaviour is almost always controlled via attributes, and the documentation for the DesignerAttribute class describes it as:
    Specifies the class used to implement design-time services for a component.
    It would follow that you need to create a custom designer for your class. Maybe you can use the TextBoxDesigner class yourself, but I'd guess that it's an internal (Friend) class.

Given that your UserControl consists of only a TextBox, I'm wondering why you chose to implement it that way instead of simply deriving your own control from the TextBox class. I would think that that would be easier and it would mean that the control itself already has this behaviour.

Frenzied Member

So would I just derive from Textbox instead of UserControl, because I cannot derive from both.

What value is deriving from UserControl providing? If there is none then you should be deriving from TextBox.

If you create a UserControl project you will see it inherits from the UserControl in its designer class.

Code:
    <Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _
    Partial Class UserControl1
    	Inherits System.Windows.Forms.UserControl
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

Your in the C# Forum Rob

Well it was for demonstration purposes only as you wouldnt write that designer gnerated code anyways. But if you want to see C# then here it is.
    Code:
    [Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()]
    internal partial class UserControl1 : System.Windows.Forms.UserControl

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011