Thread: [How To] Partition a USB stick

[How To] Partition a USB stick

I'm working on a project that requires multiple logical drives to operate. I didn't make it; I inherited it.

I do most of my dev. on my laptop which obviously has 1 HD and normally only 1 partition. I don't have access to any 3rd party tools to resize my main NTFS partition safely, so I turned to mass removeable storage to host this odd project.

My normal partitioning utility is simply the Logical Disk Mangler tool. I got myself a 4GB Memorex Traveldrive and got ready to partition it into 2 Logical drives.

To my utter dismay and disbelief, LDM refused to Delete the main partition. This would be the obvious first step in creating 2 partitions on the flash drive.

Google led me to this poster:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/post391796-6.html

The result is great so far. After telling Windows to use the included .SYS driver, I can use my flash stick like a normal hard drive. I will abbreviate the posters instructions here:

1) Go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR

2) Copy and paste USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_STORAGE_DEVICE&Rev_9144 into notepad.

3) Edit cfadisk.inf - replace all lines like

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install

with

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_STORAGE_DEVICE&Rev_9144

4) Using Device Mangler, tell Windows to use the newly saved .INF file (Have Disk...), being sure to have the included .SYS file in the same folder.

After this procedure, I was able to delete the partition in LDM without rebooting, but since Windows asked to be rebooted so nicely, I oblidged it before doing any disk mangling operations.

After the obligatory reboot, I deleted the main partition and created 2 new ones (I formatted them as NTFS for funzies).

Only the 1st Partition is viewable on different computers, so I made a hidden directory called "Install" into which I placed the .INF and .SYS files. The same Driver Upgrade procedure must be followed to gain access to any other partitions created by the 1st computer. The 2nd computer cried out for a reboot, but it's really not necessary. I was able to see all my partitions right away.

Anyone know how to bundle all this into an Autorun.INF?

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

Don't solve problems which don't exist.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

2 idiots don't make a genius.

Re: [How To] Partition a USB stick

Im not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it should work. Have the autorun.inf run a batch file or exe to do all of the work. That way it should be a simpler autorun.

So...

Why not just create some mapped logical drive names that point to silly old folders on whatever you device you want?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany
    So...

Why not just create some mapped logical drive names that point to silly old folders on whatever you device you want?
    The application doesn't like that. Good idea though.
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Do you have access to a linux box? Linux has partitioning tools that actually work rather than the useless ones MS platforms have to offer.

That's what I always do if I have a stick that windows can't cope with, shove the stick in a linux box and splat the entire data area then use fdisk to reinstate whatever partitions I want. Often its enough just to get a fat32 partition on there and then reformat it in windows for compatibility's sake.
    I don't live here any more.

Frenzied Member

You don't necessarily have to delete the main partition. Merely resizing it and formatting it would do surely?

This proved to be interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbkC5PyAMag

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

i was under the impression no special driver was needed. You merely needed to edit the registry to tell the OS the drive was not removable.
    If your place is going win 7 when it comes out, it has the ability to mount virtual drives as hard drives. Perhaps you could put two of those on the thumb drive. Then again you could use two thumb drives?
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Addicted Member

I don't know if this will work, but you can download TrueCrypt

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Normally you'd create either a file container or encrypt an entire drive which TrueCrypt mounts in Windows to one of the drive letters. You could just create a bunch of small containers and mount them all to create a series of drives on your PC.

They disappear once you restart and you have to remount them for them to re-appear as drives. Don't know if this would help you