dcsimg

Thread: applications can't run after install of visual basic 2005

applications can't run after install of visual basic 2005

I've some application that i wrote in visual basic 6 (on Win xp). now that I try to run those applications on a new computer with vista and visual basic 2005, I receive errors "failed to load control commondialog from comdlg32.ocx. your version of comdlg32.ocx may be outdated."

how can I fix it without rewriting the application.
    thans

Frenzied Member

Re: applications can't run after install of visual basic 2005

"failed to load control commondialog from comdlg32.ocx. your version of comdlg32.ocx may be outdated."

Without reading the rest of your post, if the error says that your comdlg32 is outdated and cannot be loaded, it should be obvious to get the latest version of comdlg32, no? Have you tried that?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Did you do a formal install of your application, or just copy it over?

What exactly are you using a commondialog for anyway? You should almost certainly have replaced it with a .NET component. Upgrading VB6 apps is simply not a good idea in most cases. If it is necessary then extensive testing is required and there's bound to be all sorts of issues to correct.

Sounds like VB6 will have to be installed on the new computer, or, if you will no longer be developing in VB6 and just want to run your VB6 apps on the new computer, you will have to install your VB6 apps on the new computer with some type of installation package (e.g. Package & Deployment Wiz, Inno Setup, Install Shield, etc.). Also be advised that there are certain considerations for running Visual Studio 6 as well as VB6 executables on Vista (there are several links/posts about this here on VBF).

Finally note that installing VB 2005 on your new computer will have no bearing whatsoever in your ability to run VB6 apps. They are two completely different animals.
    "It's cold gin time again ..."

Check out my website here.