Thread: What types of files should be registered in Vista?

Addicted Member

What types of files should be registered in Vista?

The following is from jr???'s Inno website, listed in updates to Inno:

Added OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6 parameters to each line to prevent Setup from trying to install the files on Windows Vista. All of the files come preinstalled on Vista already, and cannot be re-registered due to security restrictions on the registry.
    I found this worked in eliminating the error for one type of file (a .OLB, I believe...).

I am currently getting a similar error trying to register a .TLB file (MSADO32.TLB) on a Vista box.

Can somebody please help me... What types of files should I register, and which should I not, on Vista machines???

PowerPoster

Re: What types of files should be registered in Vista?

VB6 Vista components are listed at Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows® Vista™

You should (almost) never deploy a TLB or OLB as part of an application. You never, never, never deploy individual parts of an MDAC release with your application, and not even the MDAC packages on Vista (Vista contains Windows DAC which supercedes MDAC).

As for registering components, again almost never except for ActiveX EXEs and DCOM components where you have no choice. For everything else use registration-free COM and side-by-side activation:

This is old technology now. It came out with Windows XP and was mature when XP SP2 came out back in 2004. Sadly I know of few useful tools to assist the VB6 developer. Two include:

My guess is that the lack of documentation and tools for VB6 [Removed by Moderator] scared people off. So despite how old this is, most VB'ers seem to just keep on deploying and registering ActiveX components the old way. It still works, but you can bump up against some confusing scenarios in Vista.

[Removed by Moderator]
    Last edited by RobDog888; Dec 28th, 2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: AUP violations