Thread: Packing up and distributing VB6....?

Packing up and distributing VB6....?

Does anyone have any opinions out there on the best utility to pack up a VB6 distributable? Sorry if this has been asked before.

My program has tons of wav, mp3, gifs, in various subfolders. I'm looking for ways to pack all this into a self-extracting VB6 file.

This program is too far gone to convert up to VB.NET, it would be way too much work for its purpose............thanks much

jpasquini

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Packing up and distributing VB6....?

Any installation package, including P&DW or Inno will package up the exe and all related dependency and runtime files.

However, the other files that you mentioned you would have to add to the installation setup yourself and indicate to the installer where these files should be placed.

Fanatic Member

Try the "Application Deployment forum" which is really were this post should have been "Moved" to

Wow, such hostility.
    You VB6 programmers are like firebrands.

Well, I will check into P&DW or Inno (licking wounds). Thanks!

The sticky FAQ thread at teh top of the Application Deployment forum (where this thread is located) contains a listing of some packagers/installers and their links.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6