Thread: Which programming language have you used to make VB08?

Which programming language have you used to make VB08?

This may sound silly but which programming language have you used to make VB08?

Re: Which programming language have you used to make VB08?

I think it depends on what part of VB08 you're referring to but I am also curious about this question.

The IDE was most likely developed in C++ as, I believe, has been the existing codebase (as far as I know VS hasn't been re-written).

The .Net framework has been reported to have been developed via C#.

For VB08... I would imagine the parser was created in C# but I'd be curious to know if any other languages / technologies were used. Is VB used at all in the actual developed of VB?
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

If I remember right... the IDE is written in C#.... the compiler is in C++ (I think)... But VS is written in C#.NET. At least it used to be....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yes, I was curious about this too as 08 is out I wonder just how much of a percentage of it is written in .NET.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    If I remember right... the IDE is written in C#.... the compiler is in C++ (I think)... But VS is written in C#.NET. At least it used to be....

-tg
    This is interesting insofar as C# is a part of .NET - it would seem as though one part of .NET was used to develop another part.

(As an aside, many years ago when I was taking a class in the Assembly language I asked my instructor what language Assembly was written in.....he was not amused. )

Well I would assume its because C# is easier for the C++ programmers to use since they come from a C++ background.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Actually, not really.... you develop the language binaries... and the compiler in something like C++.... now you have a command-line compiler.... you then write the interface using something, could be the previous version of the IDE... .could be note pad.... could be something proprietary.... thyen use the command line to build the IDE.... it's almost ingenious... downright brilliant in my opinion.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Use VS to create VS. It's perfect.

I would imagine the IDE wasn't written with VB, given what it does. C# is in its' nature a faster language, and C++ even more so. Neither would really surprise me.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

The Mono compiler is self-hosting (compiles its own code).
    I don't live here any more.

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome

-tg
    Same exact information i have, i also found this also on Bjarne's site...

Visual Studio (Visual C++, Visual Basic, Visual FoxPro) (Some parts of Visual Studio like the Base Class Libraries that ship with the .NET Framework were written using C# but the C# compiler itself is written in C++.)

Special Guest - Microsoft

Myth buster time:

The compiler is native code written in C++, the VB runtime is completely written in VB (hence so is part of the .NET framework redist), My namespace and framework is completely written in VB.

The IDE is a solid combination of C++, C#, and VB. Examples of VB are the project designer and corresponding designers (settings, resources, attributes). Other managed code designers such as OR designer are C#.

Dynamics SL is another example of a serious Microsoft product written in a combination of VB.NET, C++, and C#.

Best,
    Paul
    Paul Yuknewicz
    Lead Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Basic
    http://msdn.com/vbasic

Thank you PaulYuk_MS for you answer and for clarifying "tha mith".
    Thank you MS VB Dev Team for giving us this opportunity to chat with you.

Special Guest - Microsoft

Thank you for having us - honestly we love the engaging conversations we're having with y'all.
    Paul Yuknewicz
    Lead Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Basic
    http://msdn.com/vbasic

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulYuk_MS
    Myth buster time:

The compiler is native code written in C++, the VB runtime is completely written in VB (hence so is part of the .NET framework redist), My namespace and framework is completely written in VB.

The IDE is a solid combination of C++, C#, and VB. Examples of VB are the project designer and corresponding designers (settings, resources, attributes). Other managed code designers such as OR designer are C#.

Dynamics SL is another example of a serious Microsoft product written in a combination of VB.NET, C++, and C#.
    I am astounded, and very please to hear, that VB was used in these products. As an old VB'er (I started with VB3), I've taken some....er...um..."comments" over years from folks that believe VB is nothing more than a "play" language.

I can't wait for the next time someone says something like that to me.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    As an old VB'er (I started with VB3), I've taken some....er...um..."comments" over years from folks that believe VB is nothing more than a "play" language.
    Unfortunately not enough people realise that VB stands for Very Best :-)