Thread: The way out there wish list...

PowerPoster

The way out there wish list...

Any things we'd like to see in the dream version of VB:-

* A flow document designer as easy to use as the windows form designer (or the ability to drop in .docx files and add code to them in the VS IDE)

(Add your killer feature thoughts...?)

PowerPoster

Re: The way out there wish list...

* Compiler (code free) multithreading - I check a compile option and the generated code is automagically safely multithreaded

I believe your first choice there may be done with VSTO 08. Have you tried out VSTO 2005 SE?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by Merrion
    * Compiler (code free) multithreading - I check a compile option and the generated code is automagically safely multithreaded
    I have to chime in on this one....

I hear this a lot when the conversations happen on multithreading. How would the compiler know what code can or can't be run concurrently? There is some code where order doesn't matter so breaking it into threads willy nilly is fine. There is a lot of code that is transactional or sequential that simply can't be run concurrently.

Consider a very deluted example:

tax = .07
    price = product * tax

If you break the above into two threads and run each line of code on a different thread, then you never know what price will be because you won't know if the tax was set before or after.

For the following:

product1 = product1_original * 1.10
    product2 = product2_original * 1.10

order doesn't matter, so these two lines could be executed on separate threads.

How would the compiler be able to differ between these two to know which could and which could not be threaded? It can't. You'd have to tell it. That is why I'll be surprised to see a "code free" option. Granted, I believe the compiler might be able to make some determinations, but never at the level you'd want.

I know this is a very simple example of something that wouldn't be threaded, but the underlying point is relevant.

There are solutions around that will let you attribute your code to indicate to the compiler what can and can't be threaded. The threading is then handled through a 3rd party library making it pretty easy to add.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    I believe your first choice there may be done with VSTO 08. Have you tried out VSTO 2005 SE?
    Visual Studio Tools for Office is not integrated into Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition and higher. It was a separate product in earlier releases; however, with 2005, if you had Professional edition or higher, you could get the VSTO stuff to (Microsoft made it available to you).

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see in future versions of VB, opacity made with png files (masks), so that you can make, for instance, an opacity gradient in a form or a label.

A code flow charting - would allow quick identification of dead code, incidental recursions, dead ends, and decision trees. Double-clicking on an shape would take you to that part of the code.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Ooh.. that'd be a nice one. Might help find bottlenecks in large projects, too.

Frenzied Member

I would like to see connector lines in the IDE that connect an If statement to it's matching End If, For...Next, Do...Loop, etc. Sometimes when you have nested If statements or For/Next loops it's gets hard to tell what goes to what or sometimes both aren't on the screen at the same time. It should be toggleable from the toolbar. Anyone else think this would be helpful?

I would like to see some kind of formating/classifying the source code by colors, for instance, mark a few lines with green and have some categorization for those colors:green-tested, orange-tested but with bugs, etc.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nbrege
    I would like to see connector lines in the IDE that connect an If statement to it's matching End If, For...Next, Do...Loop, etc
    Although this would be a nice feature, I agree, properly indenting the code generally takes care of this.

And with Smart Tab turned on.... it's almost as autonomous as breathing....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'd like to see a block commenting option like /*....*/ in C. This would not only be very nice for documenting, it would be a handy debug tool to block off a chunk of code. Doing this with the standard ' can be error prone.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I highlight the section, then hit Ctrl-K,Ctrl-C .... comments out the whole thing... Ctrl-K,Ctrl-U undoes the comment....
    But there are times when /* ... */ would be handy.

-tg

I thought you'd gone off to truck driving school, yet here you are with a tip that I hadn't seen before (actually, it looks vaguely familiar, so I think I DID see it once before, but there just may be too many key options for me to remember).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Actually, it almost became Train school.... but the cut in pay was just a bit too much.... Besides, jsut because I'm not passionate about doing this any more doesn't meant I can't impart some of my knowledge.

-tg