dcsimg

Thread: More Advanced Learning

More Advanced Learning

Ive finished a few of the * in 24 hours, for dummies and other beginner series. I was wondering what do i start learning now, should i get an advaned book? Should i look at tutorials? and if so where and what do i learn? So any recommendations would be appriciated.
    Last edited by Motoxpro; Oct 24th, 2007 at 05:05 AM.

Re: More Advanced Learning

Best way to learn is to write code
    Think of an application that you think would be a challenge for you to code.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Well, yea. But if i dont know how to write the code then how can i write the progam? For example, if I didnt know how to check if a textbox was equaled to 0 then I might search on google and think that a loop was the best way to go about doing that when I could have acomplished it much easier with an if statement. Both those could be used for the same thing but one is alot more practical.

Yeah but thats no big deal if you're a starter. You learn from your mistakes, and theres always MSDN, google and vbforums to help if you get stuck.

Anyway, thats how i learned. I've never read a programming book. (Though I have read articles on the web, but that wasnt until later)
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

I understand what youre saying and i have progressed alot from the 'beginner' books on my own but, id rather learn the right way first instead of learning and then figuring out that i was doing it wrong and have to relearn it. And id like to know some of the functions visual basic has. Another example would be if i was tring to save info, if i searched on google or msdn i bet i would find alot of examples on databases and textfiles but not too much on the project settings that are built into .net.

Fanatic Member

From personal experiece I have found that each author of those books have their own personal style of programming that depending on what circles you run in could lead you to believe that you did some bad programming (shame on you!! )

The first questions I would ask you and you should ask yourself is - what do you intend on doing with programming? Is it to be a hobby or a profession? Are you using an Express Version or a Professional Version? What Languages do you want to learn?

My suggestion would be to do as was suggested earlier. Figure out a project that appeals to you and that you personally would use. Run through the entire lifecycle of the project. Write down your design - then flow out the logic (all on paper or Visio or some such project program you may have at your disposal). Design your interface and then write the code.

My personal experience was after reading through the basic books, I spent several days just going through the various posts here and also checked out codeproject.com. I wrote down alot of questions and topics and started designing/writing a program filling in the blanks along the way. MSDN is your best friend for figuring out how things were designed to work along with the various properties & methods associated with them. But it all comes down to the goal(s) you set for yourself.

I wish you luck and if you have any questions dont be afraid to post them, I have yet to be called stupid, although I am sure several people on here have thought that more than once!!!!

Good luck!

D
    Platforms of choice: Visual Studio 2005/2008 Professional : Visual Studio 2010 Enterprise : PHP - Notepad++/WAMP

Please Rate If I helped you.
    Please remember to mark threads as closed if your issue has been resolved.

Reserved Words in Access | Connection Strings

I third the suggestion to just dive in there and start coding.

I was a VB6 coder for 14 years when I finally got the chance to get into .NET

You can ask any of the .NET regulars in this section and on this site to verify this, but I asked some God awful simple noob questions when I started getting into actually writing the code. Like dminder said, no one is going to call you names and everyone is more than happy to help.

It was, and continues to be, a humbling experience to be a noob again.

Don't wade into the .NET lake - get a running head start and leap right off the dock.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    When you have received an answer to your question, please mark it as resolved using the Thread Tools menu.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM or EMail. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Creating A Wizard In VB.NET
    Paging A Recordset
    What is wrong with using On Error Resume Next
    Good Article: Language Enhancements In Visual Basic 2010
    Upgrading VB6 Code To VB.NET
    Microsoft MVP 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/Defrocked