Thread: Proxy Server Software

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Proxy Server Software

Does anyone know of any proxy server software or proxy server simulation type software that you can run on a Windows XP box?

Basically what I am looking to do is simulate a proxy server so I can test code I write for situations when my customer is behind a proxy server. We don't have one here, and other than knowing what their purpose is, I don't know a ton about proxy server administration. So while I guess I could just download ISA server from Microsoft and install on a 2k3 server box, I was wondering if there is anything out there I could run locally on my XP machine to mimic this behavior.

Sorry for mucking up your chit-chat with a serious question, but I figured you guys might know.

I wonder how many charact

Re: Proxy Server Software

foxy proxy

oh... SERVER...

Apache.
    Last edited by nemaroller; Aug 22nd, 2007 at 02:22 PM.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/577

This is a proxy appliance. It is a big download about half a GB and you also need VMware Player or VMWare Server (both free of course ). Once you have downloaded it you simply start it and enter the proxy details in a browser. Its a plug and play proxy server

You can also configure it to use username and password authentication and test your server with that. Something a lot of programs - even MS programs fall over with.
    Last edited by visualAd; Aug 22nd, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

If I install apache locally, can I then configure all HTTP network traffic to pass through the apache proxy server for web requests?

You can. Setting up authentication is a real pain however - but it is quick and works. Also - squid has a windows build I believe.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Thanks I will check all of them out and see which one will suit my needs.

In the mean time I was able to get my buddy to test my code against his network which does have a NT authenticating proxy, and it worked. I would like to do more extensive in house testing though.

there's heaps of free proxy server software free too.... dunno how secure they'll be tho

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma
    Basically what I am looking to do is simulate a proxy server so I can test code I write for situations when my customer is behind a proxy server
    with proxies there should be no difference between a proxied customer and a non proxied customer, so it shouldn't affect your testing btw.