Thread: [2005] Connection

Hyperactive Member

[2005] Connection

im connecting 2 laptops through cross connection cord, im wondering what connection string i should be using to access the SQL database on one laptop from the other one, basically,, client -> server accessing. Thanks! im using VB 05 and MS SQL 05 Express tytyty

Re: [2005] Connection

I would check out http://www.connectionstrings.com/ first ...

Hyperactive Member

can anyone brief me on what i should remember when using cross connection lan cable for connecting 2 laptops client -> server thanks

It doesnt matter where in your network or workgroup your databas is, you still need proper access to its location and the proper connectionstring.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

so if i want to connect to the other laptop's instance "Aerialz666\Thesis2" and the database name is "FinalDB" what connection string should i use? im not really sure tx

You would include the server name (computer name) and database name, plus any logon credientials. If you click the link and go to connectionstrings.com you will find the cs you need.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

Data Source=myServerAddress;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword; <-- this one is what i assume the right one, but i dont have my other laptop now so i cant try it, can this work?

Data Source = Aerialz666\Thesis2;Initial Catalog=FinalDB;User ID = xxxx;password=xxxx; <-- is this right? can it connect to the other computer and access the DB?
    Last edited by RobDog888; Jul 16th, 2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: removed login credientials for safty.

If you have given the logon account that is passed in the connectionstring permissions to connect to your sql db then the first one should be it.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Addicted Member

I think that should do it. Like Rob said, your username must have a permission to connect. Also, just remember that SQL Server 2005 Express disabled TCP/IP connection on default. You must enable it before.
    Check my Blog at VB Corner,Component Crafts

Hyperactive Member

Use serverName\instanceName as Data Source to connect to a specific SQL Server instance.
    Are you using SQL Server 2005 Express? Don't miss the server name syntax Servername\SQLEXPRESS where you substitute Servername with the name of the computer where the SQL Server 2005 Express installation resides.

since im using SQL Express 05, do i need to add a "\SQLEXPRESS" after my instance? assuming my instance name is Aerialz666\Thesis2 ? ..

making it Aerialz666\Thesis2\SQLEXPRESS ? trhanks

Hyperactive Member

btw, when i installed SQL express, it had a defaul user name of "sa" and then it allowed me to input my own password so is that the login account that has a persmission? thanks im not really good at this..

Addicted Member

since im using SQL Express 05, do i need to add a "\SQLEXPRESS" after my instance? assuming my instance name is Aerialz666\Thesis2 ? ..
    Yes. It should named "<your computername>\SQLEXPRESS".

btw, when i installed SQL express, it had a defaul user name of "sa" and then it allowed me to input my own password so is that the login account that has a persmission?
    You can also create additional account. I don't suggest you to use "sa" account for acessing your server. To create another user, you should install SQL Server 2005 Management Express. It can be download for free in this site
    Check my Blog at VB Corner,Component Crafts