Thread: a "REAL" beginners' question

Lively Member

a "REAL" beginners' question

Hi Everybody,

I am using Microsoft Excel (2003) to manage my business. I drive a taxi in Canada.
    Each day I enter stuff like beginning and ending kilometers, gas used, revenue earned, etc. etc. etc.
    Clearly, I could save huge time & effort by automating the data entering, as well as all the math used to monitor averages.
    The issue I have is I don't know where to even "start" such a project, and need to find an Excel - VBA Script tutorial site that will help me go further than just thinking about it.

I wonder if someone could point me to such a tutorial site.

Many thanks,
    Paul
    It seems my projects' ambitions are inversly proportional to what I don't know.

Re: a "REAL" beginners' question

Moved to Office Development forum - which is where Excel based questions belong

The first thing to do is work out what you want, the 'how' comes later (and from the sounds of it, may just need formulas on the sheet - and no VBA).

What data are you going to have?
    Are you entering this data manually, or is there a way of importing it automatically?
    When you have the data, what calculations do you want to do on it, and where do you want to show them?

Lively Member

Hi,

I've been using a worksheet to do all this for well over a year, so I have the what well placed in mind.
    I'm just getting tired of the layout because the spreadsheets do carry from column "A" well into the "AS" columns. Perhaps only a third of the sheet columns are for data entry, and the rest of the columns contain the formula to display results.
    I would just rather use a few VB Forms to enter and display data, but I don't want to create a full blown executable.

Thanks,
    Paul
    It seems my projects' ambitions are inversly proportional to what I don't know.

Addicted Member

could you possibly upload your workbook?
    someone could even simplify your formulas etc, without using vba

PowerPoster

sounds like data entry is the main issue you want to resolve

you can create a userform just to enter the data so that when you move from one textbox to another or when you finish competing the form the values will be placed in the appropriate cell in the sheet

you can have dropdown lists where the values to be entered and from a specific list, or checkboxes for yes /no choices

to start open the visual basic editor (Alt F11) in the vba project area right click and insert userform, add controls (textboxes and labels etc) and move them around until you get a form that looks like how you want to enter your data, you can always change, improve later

see robdogs signature in one of his posts for a link to his tutorial also i think si the geek has one too
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete