Thread: RS232... need help

RS232... need help

hay guys

i'm quite new to vb6. I'm trying to send the data via RS232. I used MScom. I send out 1 Byte at at time. I can see the correct data on oscilloscope. But the problem is that between each byte is about 3ms of delay occuring.. the stop bit stay high for about 3ms and another data byte is send out.. But the strange thing is that all data byte looks correct... my question is that, on my laptop i'm using USB to RS232 converter.. Is it causing the problem.. no RS232 on my notebook ( ) .. ok currently no desktop PC available... pls i'm really mad...very urgent to go further.. Thx..

phone naing

Lively Member

Re: RS232... need help

Hi mate,
    Did a quick scan for this on google, is there some sort of a connection being opened that is causing this 3ms delay for each byte. If this is the case, is it possible to open the connection at the start, send all the bytes and then close the connection? Therefore this will only incur the 3ms delay once. I think the 3ms delay is a standard for this connection (to open) RS-232 to USB.
    This any help?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

A question I would have is what problems are being caused by a 3ms delay?

hey guys

Thx for quick reply. Ya ok actually i'm doing wireless RF communication between PC and a small stupid PIC.. i'm using asynscronous usart on PIC.. So this 3ms delay between each byte is giving me timing problem on PIC side.. I dont include any handshaking between PC and PIC since there is a wireless transmitter and receiver between PC and pic (it is kind of tedious to send data bk from pic)..

Yes marktheman, i want to try what u mention. but my question is that what do u mean by some sort of open connection?? I dnt get it..

phone naing

Lively Member

Hi mate,
    I think what could be happening is that 2 stop bits might be sent out. Therefore the second stop bit would be factored into the delay resulting in the 3ms delay. No idea how to test for this, but I read this briefly somewhere. Hope this helps.