dcsimg

Thread: designing projects using Express edition

Lively Member

designing projects using Express edition

Hello dear Friends
    Currently I have access to Webdeveloper express edition . I am aware that I cannot create libraries and have n tier architecture using this edition.
    So this is what I have planned to do

1)aspx page will have all the html coding (I do not have any dynamic content) ( I also use CSS for the positioning of the controls—absolute positioning layout)

2)Have class in App_code with functions and procedures implementing Business layer

3)Put all the sql (data storing, retrieving) into stored proceduresEach page will have 2 SPs
    i. One SP with Static queries – all the sql which can be kept static is placed here(insert, update, delete etc)
    ii. One with dynamic queries – all the sql query changes (the where contition etc) is kept here

4) .vb files will have the presentation logic – which will have rest of the coding

My questions
    a) Am I doing the right thing?

b) Should I have different Business logic each page or each block of logic (or module) OR have one class as a BLL.cs and put all my business logic there in form of functions and procedures.

c) Some of my Business logic is in SP…it is pure SQL. I have read that Data access layer and BLL should not merge.I am confused as to what to do in this case?

d)I am using vb.net for coding Can you please suggest a good book to study
    a.Software architecture
    b.Coding principles
    c.Oops concepts and software designing using oops concepts
    d.Any book which will help me become
    i.Good programmer
    ii.Good Software Architect
    Thank you for your time
    Sara

Planet Xeoroaniar CC Posts:1,928,453,459,361

Re: designing projects using Express edition

The normal way of doing this kind of thing is to have as much processing done in the SP's as possible because it is simply far faster than doing it in VB code. The Data Access Layer (DAL) should ideally just contain the code to execute the required store procedure, pass the parameters in and read the output parameters.

As for the other question, it's really a matter of style. Some will put as much code on the actual .aspx file whereas others will put them in the .vb file. I myself put them into a .vb file and also try to use functions where possible. The thinking is that if you put some code into a class file as a function then it could be used elsewhere from the application, or even another application entirely could re-use the code

Hope thats helpful
    Life is one big rock tune

Lively Member

Thank you Valleysboy

It was very helpful

regards
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by sara_23apr

d)I am using vb.net for coding Can you please suggest a good book to study
    a.Software architecture
    Software architecture books are best when it comes to enterprise architecture, you need to get familiar with what you are doing first. To get an idea, subscribe to the Microsoft Architecture Journal.

b.Coding principles
    "The Art of Programming", perhaps. Again, it's about practice and experience.

c.Oops concepts and software designing using oops concepts
    This is an expensive one, but I've heard lots about it. http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriente.../dp/013032616X

d.Any book which will help me become
    i.Good programmer
    ii.Good Software Architect
    Let me ask you this... are there books available on how to become a good human being?