Thread: Advantages & Disadvantages of MS Excel? [URGENT]

Lively Member

Exclamation Advantages & Disadvantages of MS Excel? [URGENT]

There have been a few Spreadsheet programs written in VB, such as this one, but before there needs to be another, can someone tell me, in their own opinion, what they think are some advantages and disadvantages to Microsoft Excel, any version i dont mind.

Thanx.
    Last edited by AceOfSpades; Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:43 AM.

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages of MS Excel? [URGENT]

Question rather belongs to a General dev forum...

Anyway, I'd say the advantages are:

- Microsoft Excel is widely used so there is huge users community
    - exposes fully programmable object model
    - easy to automate
    - patches/bug fixes are free
    - excellent reputation
    - etc, etc, etc...

edit:

another advantage - MS Excel is an excellent reporting tool

Lively Member

Thanx man, anyone else...i need as many Advantages and Disadvantages as possible.
    Thanx.

Disadvantage...

Can't export directly to PDF.

Advantage...

Easy to synchronize with PDA/Pocket Excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty2000
    Disadvantage...

Can't export directly to PDF...
    Well, if PDF converter is installed then you would "print" directly to that "printer".
    But I agree - it could nice to have one of "Save As" parameters of pdf type.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved

Although I personally like EXCEL very much I'm going to stretch a bit and tell you what I feel are it's disadvantages. So RB - you don't need to debate with me about what I'm saying

I find it very frustrating to deal with printing a spreadsheet that is too wide for the paper - granted it can be done but not in a very intuitive way. Setting PRINT AREA's and FIT TO PAPER are not easily accessible.

I find that although it's very liberal in how it deals with datatypes of columns - it can truly make a mess of data.

Cutting, pasting, inserting and removing rows or columns could be stronger in the way that formula's might be stretched to include these new rows or columns. I find that it's painful now if you need to perform tasks like this in a complex spreadsheet.

It is such a huge and complex product - has so much functionality - that to become an expert in it's use is nearly a full time job. That's both an advantage and disadvantage.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If you are looking to write your own then you can throw in features that you want but will lack the functionality of all that Excel has to offer.

Why not just write an Excel AddIn so you can tweak Excel the way you want and yet retain all the functionality of Excel and yet have your features "built in".
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6