PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
Selecting Font Size-VBForums

Thread: Selecting Font Size

Selecting Font Size

VB6, GDI . . .

If I have a textbox, and I want to resize the font so that the textbox width can only contain a certain number of characters regardless of size how do I calculate the font size?

Thanks in advance
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down

Re: Selecting Font Size

I'm not sure what the property is called, but it lets you set the max number of characters allowed in a textbox, for now I'll call it MaxChars. You would want to play with these values since I don't have vb on this computer, I'm not sure if it works, but it would look somewhat like this:
    vb Code:
    1. text1.MaxChars = (text1.font.size / 2) - text1.font.size
    Now I don't know if this will work, but the goal is that the larger the font the less characters allowed. (Actually that doesn't work at all, and I don't have time to figure out what will, but you should have a general idea of how you would go about doing it)
    Final Fantasy Tactics Online
    Blank Engine (3D, Opensource, VB Engine)(Under construction but does have a download)

Re: Selecting Font Size

[vbcode]
    txtEdit.MaxLength = uField.Geometry.LineQty * uField.Geometry.LineLength
    lWidth = txtEdit.Width
    lFontSize = 72 * 1.5 * (lWidth / GetDeviceCaps(picDocument.hdc, LOGPIXELSY))
    lFontSize = lFontSize / uField.Geometry.LineLength
    txtEdit.FontSize = lFontSize
    [/vbcode]

Seems to work quite nice indeed!

Cheers.
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down