Thread: Office 2007 user interface

Office 2007 user interface

Are there instructions on how to use the office user interface in a regular vb.net project? Everything i have found points to using Office add in dll's and not vb.net exe's. A perfect example of such an app would be powerarchiver.

Thanx

Re: Office 2007 user interface

Office in .NET is used more for automation. If you want to add tabs to the ribbon then the more standard method is to use VSTO 2005 SE as its the default editor/IDE for customizing Office 2007.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I understand, however i am trying to simply use the ribbon control in a standard project, not an office project

The Ribbon is part of Office 2007 and is not for use in non-Office applications. If you want to use it in other applications you would need to get a clone. Here's one example:

http://www.prof-uis.com/elegant-ribbon-control.aspx

Infragistics, ComponentOne, among others are available...

jmc- that's a pretty nice one there..... and within a reasonable price range too.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If you are depending on your users having 2007 then you can use automation to use it on your forms.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

so what you are saying is that the office 2007 ribbon control cannot be used in standard exe projects? Is there an article on automation for vb.net? Apparently powerarchiver 2007 is using this control and it is an exe...according to the credits anyway

Addicted Member

Hi, you can also see www.componentfactory.com. They're recently still in developing the control. They already release a beta test application in their blog.

Odds are they are using a third party control, like the ones jmc and I mentioned.... not the one from Office....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The Component Factory controls look nice.... but I don't see the UI Ribbon available in there anywhere....

-tg

Addicted Member

Because they're still developing it. They've release a beta 1 version. You can see it's progress in their blog: http://www.componentfactory.com/blog.php?cat=5

Yes, it depends on the control if it is dependant upon the Office Library or not.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Then why would they credit microsoft for the control, and not the original author? But all aside i think i figured it out, i will know for sure in the morning

just in case

it is a .net exe. i am able to reference the com dll, however there are no code samples on how to use the control.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecklesswun
    Then why would they credit microsoft for the control, and not the original author? But all aside i think i figured it out, i will know for sure in the morning
    Not sure who you are talking to but like I posted it could be completely created as a similar control to the Office ribbon.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

If you are depending on your users having 2007 then you can use automation to use it on your forms.
    I took this statement as this could not be done. I apologize if i misunderstood. I never heard the word automation been used in the .net world, again i haven't been developing in the .net world for long. Are there any examples of automation that anyone can point me to, or provide samples?

Sure, check out my Office Development FAQ (link in my sig to index).

Here is one of the FAQ items on Office Automation in .NET - http://vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=406637

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I do not have access to the VSTO link in the thread posted. and thanx again!

I havent finished it yet.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011