Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)-VBForums
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Get your PCs hard disk drive firm ware number (the number that does not change and that is added by the HDD manufacturer during manufacturing of HDD).

    Check it out!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Dear Sir,

    I have downloaded your program. It seems great! Will you be so kind to send me some explanation how to install and use the programs. Loading the programs into VB 6.0 (may be rong), in the combibox there is no results! Thank you in advance!
    Eftim Stoyanov
    Last edited by Hack; Apr 20th, 2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed Email Address

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Thank you YogiYang you deserve a medal for sharing this

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    Resolved Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eftim Stoyanov
    Dear Sir,

    I have downloaded your program. It seems great! Will you be so kind to send me some explanation how to install and use the programs. Loading the programs into VB 6.0 (may be rong), in the combibox there is no results! Thank you in advance!
    Eftim Stoyanov
    Please read the document in the zip file and use your head a bit.
    Thanks,

    Yogi Yang

    Yogi's SoftKey a keyboard remappint software for Indian Languages. Worlds easiest to learn and use for Indian Languages (Gujarati/Hindi).

  5. #5
    PowerPoster Ellis Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,527

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Fantastic contribution.

    I'd like to incorporate this into my library. Do you have any objection?

    If you'd like me to give credit to a name other than "yogiyang", PM me.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis Dee
    Fantastic contribution.

    I'd like to incorporate this into my library. Do you have any objection?

    If you'd like me to give credit to a name other than "yogiyang", PM me.
    No objections at all. I will be that my code is usefull to someone.

    But I must say that I am not able to get this code to work properly in VISTA Final Release. It was working in the FirstBeta version but not in final release.

    Good luck to you.

    Yogi Yang
    Thanks,

    Yogi Yang

    Yogi's SoftKey a keyboard remappint software for Indian Languages. Worlds easiest to learn and use for Indian Languages (Gujarati/Hindi).

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tunisia
    Posts
    3

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Thank you yogiyang

  8. #8
    Banned randem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    11,385

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Handy piece of code...

  9. #9
    Hyperactive Member nepalbinod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    293

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    I have already used your code in my project for security. It is really helpful, but please let us know if you have the same thing for SATA hard disks too.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by nepalbinod
    I have already used your code in my project for security. It is really helpful, but please let us know if you have the same thing for SATA hard disks too.
    I own two SATA HDDs and it is working without any problem. There must be some other problem at you end.
    If you are having problem using this library then please use WMI for extracting storage media information and then separate the HDDs firmware from it.

    By the way this will not work with all types of SCSI HDDs as far as my experience goes
    Thanks,

    Yogi Yang

    Yogi's SoftKey a keyboard remappint software for Indian Languages. Worlds easiest to learn and use for Indian Languages (Gujarati/Hindi).

  11. #11
    Super Moderator Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Searching for mendhak
    Posts
    58,335

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi Yang
    No objections at all. I will be that my code is usefull to someone.

    But I must say that I am not able to get this code to work properly in VISTA Final Release. It was working in the FirstBeta version but not in final release.

    Good luck to you.

    Yogi Yang
    What problems is Vista giving you?
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    When you have received an answer to your question, please mark it as resolved using the Thread Tools menu.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM or EMail. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

    Creating A Wizard In VB.NET
    Paging A Recordset
    What is wrong with using On Error Resume Next
    Good Article: Language Enhancements In Visual Basic 2010
    Upgrading VB6 Code To VB.NET
    Microsoft MVP 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/Defrocked

  12. #12

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    What problems is Vista giving you?
    My program is not throwing any errors. Just nothing seems to happen and no data is returned. I don't know what is wrong.

    Currently I am busy on another project which involves a lot of programming as it is regarding Image Processing.

    Will try to find a solution when free

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    nice code !!
    Expecting code to co-operate with vista and SCSI hard disk

  14. #14

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by riech
    nice code !!
    Expecting code to co-operate with vista and SCSI hard disk
    I will look into this but later as currently it is not in my priority list.

    I am currently absorbed with Delphi as I am planning to switch to Delphi for all my mainstream software development.

    Any way thanks for your interest.

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    expecting code for vista

    [Email address removed; communication of these should be done by PM Mod]

  16. #16
    Banned randem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    11,385

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    There is another approach using Wmi That does work on Vista. Search for it. I will post it if I find it.

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Please send me the code
    isn't that code work with SCSI drives ?

  18. #18
    Banned randem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    11,385

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    I forgot who originally posted it but here it is
    Code:
    Option Explicit
    
    Public Function GetHDSerialNumber() As String()
    Dim arrComputers() As String
    Dim strComputer As Variant
    Dim objWMIService As Object
    Dim colItems As Object
    Dim objItem As Object
    Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &H10
    Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &H20
    Dim arHD() As String
    Dim i As Integer
    
    
        On Error Resume Next
        
        arrComputers = Array(".")
        For Each strComputer In arrComputers
           Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2")
           Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMedia", "WQL", _
                                                  wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
                                                  
           
           For Each objItem In colItems
              Debug.Print "SerialNumber: " & objItem.SerialNumber
              Debug.Print "Tag: " & objItem.Tag
              Debug.Print
                ReDim Preserve arHD(i)
                arHD(i) = Trim(objItem.SerialNumber)
                i = i + 1
           Next
        Next
    
        GetHDSerialNumber = arHD
        
        Set colItems = Nothing
        Set objWMIService = Nothing
        
    End Function

  19. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by randem
    I forgot who originally posted it but here it is
    Code:
    Option Explicit
    
    Public Function GetHDSerialNumber() As String()
    Dim arrComputers() As String
    Dim strComputer As Variant
    Dim objWMIService As Object
    Dim colItems As Object
    Dim objItem As Object
    Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &H10
    Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &H20
    Dim arHD() As String
    Dim i As Integer
    
    
        On Error Resume Next
        
        arrComputers = Array(".")
        For Each strComputer In arrComputers
           Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2")
           Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMedia", "WQL", _
                                                  wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
                                                  
           
           For Each objItem In colItems
              Debug.Print "SerialNumber: " & objItem.SerialNumber
              Debug.Print "Tag: " & objItem.Tag
              Debug.Print
                ReDim Preserve arHD(i)
                arHD(i) = Trim(objItem.SerialNumber)
                i = i + 1
           Next
        Next
    
        GetHDSerialNumber = arHD
        
        Set colItems = Nothing
        Set objWMIService = Nothing
        
    End Function
    Thanks for the code snippet. But the main problem is that the code that I have developed is for running on all Windows 32Bit versions and not only in Windows 2000 onwards.

    The WMI part is easy but a user can easily disable or uninstall WMI from his or her system and this will break any software which is built around WMI.

    I am not interested in that......

    Now that you already have code for extracting HDD serial using WMI please update my code and repost it.

    Thanks in advance.
    Thanks,

    Yogi Yang

    Yogi's SoftKey a keyboard remappint software for Indian Languages. Worlds easiest to learn and use for Indian Languages (Gujarati/Hindi).

  20. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Angry Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Why it is deficult to get the out put in Vesta ?

  21. #21

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by riech
    Why it is deficult to get the out put in Vesta ?
    To tell the truth VISTA itself is very difficult for me to grasp and adopt. it is tooooo for me.

    I am using Win XP on a p4, 1GHz processor having 128 MB RAM. Will VISTA run on this without a hitch? Of course not. Currently XP's log in screen comes up in just 20 seconds after booting my PC. What would happen in case of VISTA

    I will eventually upgrade to VISTA when I upgrade my Hardware and when VISTA becomes more use able and less buggy

  22. #22

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Thumbs up Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    I found a Class for reading HDD Firmware which is very easy to use... Check it out. It is not mine. It is developed by a Spanish

    ' Oggetto HDSN
    ' Esempio d'uso

    Chek attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  23. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Any develop using Vista ?

  24. #24

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by riech
    Any develop using Vista ?
    To tell you the truth. Vista is not in my radar as currently I am switching to Delphi for all my software development.

    You will have to try something by yourself as I will not be able to help you out. Sorry.

  25. #25
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Hi Everyone,

    This is the best piece of code I've found for this, and YES!!! IT WORKS WITH VISTA!!! I had the same "error" as mentioned above, with the fields just being blank. I played around for a while, and the "blank fields" are due to User Account Control in Vista. The CreateFile function that is called needs to have administrative permissions (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...8(VS.85).aspx).

    If you're developing an app that you'll only run yourself, you can just right-click the application and choose "Run as Administrator." For real world software, you'll need a Vista UAC work around. I haven't done this in VB, but I've done it in NSIS Installer successfully, so there's a way to do it. I just haven't got there yet. In my installer, if I don't have adequate permissions, I prompt the user to type in an administrative password so that I can gain these permissions. I'm going to be looking for a more pretty way to handle this in software, so that my users don't see this message whenever they start the software.

  26. #26

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewetaft2008
    Hi Everyone,

    This is the best piece of code I've found for this, and YES!!! IT WORKS WITH VISTA!!! I had the same "error" as mentioned above, with the fields just being blank. I played around for a while, and the "blank fields" are due to User Account Control in Vista. The CreateFile function that is called needs to have administrative permissions (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...8(VS.85).aspx).

    If you're developing an app that you'll only run yourself, you can just right-click the application and choose "Run as Administrator." For real world software, you'll need a Vista UAC work around. I haven't done this in VB, but I've done it in NSIS Installer successfully, so there's a way to do it. I just haven't got there yet. In my installer, if I don't have adequate permissions, I prompt the user to type in an administrative password so that I can gain these permissions. I'm going to be looking for a more pretty way to handle this in software, so that my users don't see this message whenever they start the software.
    Thank you for solving the problem. I thought I was the only one who was responsible for solving the problem (and not having Vista I could not) as no one was extending a helping hand in this regards.

    If you do find a work around for prompting for Administrative Password please do share it with us here on this forum.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Yogi Yang

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    46

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Hi Yogi,

    Great Post. I too wish to include this in my app but do not know how. And there is no Notepad or instruction file in the downloaded zip file. Pray help..

  28. #28

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Smile Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by dicktracy007
    Hi Yogi,

    Great Post. I too wish to include this in my app but do not know how. And there is no Notepad or instruction file in the downloaded zip file. Pray help..
    It is simple. Just take the necessary code files and add them to your existing project. Now call the necessary functions to retrive HDD's serial number. That is it.

    Still more easier is to use the class "HDSN.cls" that I have uploaded later. It is a class which has to be instantiated. Now call necessary methods to get the serial number.

    I don't know how else should I help you on this.

    Regards,

    Yogi Yang

  29. #29
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    355

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Does this last class work with Vista and Windows 7

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    37

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Thank You (:

  31. #31

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    227

    Re: Code : Hard Disk Serial Number (firmware #)

    Quote Originally Posted by mustiback View Post
    Thank You (:
    You are welcome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

Survey posted by VBForums.