Thread: [RESOLVED] Format C:/ In Cmd.exe

Resolved [RESOLVED] Format C:/ In Cmd.exe

i am wanting to format my C drive on my laptop in command.exe when i boot it up in safe mode as windows doesnt allow me into it because of a virus. i was wondering if anyone knew

many thanks

Fanatic Member

Re: Format C:/ In Cmd.exe

You will not be able to boot into windows and format the drive that windows is currently on. However, if all you want to do is format the C:/ and reinstall over it the Windows Setup will take care of that for you.

"X-mas is 24.Desember you English morons.." - NoteMe

Boot from the Windows install disc and log into the recovery console. You can then use your command if you must but dsheller's suggestion is best.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Quote Originally Posted by dsheller
    if all you want to do is format the C:/ and reinstall over it the Windows Setup will take care of that for you.
    This is the easy as well as most safe way to come up with.

By the way which type of virus attack you have on laptop. There is one from Win32.dll which is not allow to format a single drive. You have to deleted all the partition. I come accross with this effect few months back.
    “victory breeds hatred, the defeated live in pain; happily the peaceful live giving up victory and defeat” - Gautama Buddha

Yes, just like being suggested is the best ways to do it.

You can not format the system partition while windows is running, even in safe mode. Dont really see a valid purpose for that.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Unless you don't have dual OS.
    “victory breeds hatred, the defeated live in pain; happily the peaceful live giving up victory and defeat” - Gautama Buddha

Create a bootable disk then boot from it then format your drive.
    This should answer your problem but another problem will arise.

How to install "Windows from command prompt/DOS?".

Quote Originally Posted by eSPiYa
    How to install "Windows from command prompt/DOS?".
    Do you mean install on top of the Windows.

If you boot up to the Windows CD you will get the option of deleting the partition and then creating a new one. Then when you format it do a complete format (slow one not the quick one) and you should be ok.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

if you have another PC, plug the hard drive you want to format into that, and format it from within windows ..

though its just as easy just to create bootable CD to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    a complete format
    Ya, it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    slow one not the quick one
    Any specail thing to do this. What's happened if I used quick one on a complete format.

A quick format only resets the mfat while leaving the files orphaned on the drive. Then with a full format it will reset the mfat and actually format the drive erasing/destroying all the files.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Thanks, got the point