dcsimg

Thread: How to get started?

Addicted Member
    I have an 11 year old son who wants to learn to make games for the PC. Anyone know how I can get him started on something simple. Books, turorials, websites, etc..., whatever you know of will help.

Shawn Hull
    VB6, SP3 (Professional Edition)

Read a book explaining the basics of a programming language, I'd recommend C++. If he's motivated just let him, he'll try to make simple games and such.. and let him explore the internet, there are many tutorials about (game-)programming.

I recommend that you buy something such as Game Programmers Starter Kit. This helps with the basics of C++ as well as the basics of gaming.

Wink

This may just be me but i dont think it is possible for a kid to start at c++, might be easier to start in vb and work your way up but then if you are trying to get ahead then be my guest.
    supermova dont stop.
    i need you to complete the experiment will you be mine.

Addicted Member

Thanks for the feedback

I think the book sounds like a good approach. I will get him started on that, it may be a good chance for me to learn C++ at the same time as him. Againg, thanks for the feedback.

Shawn Hull
    VB6, SP3 (Professional Edition)

Just one thing ... supermova, it most definitely is possible, if not easier for a child to learn c++, or any other programming language, for that matter.

For the most part, a2427, I recommend letting your son find his way with minimal direct reading, however that might be achieved. You read a book on the subject and you are forever limiting your style and creativity ... there are a few books which I very much like for older systems (on which I learned to program, incidentally), such as the Commodore-64. Seeing as I am not currently learning to program, I haven't kept up with more recent books of the sort, but I strongly advise that you keep away from the mainstream books ... those tend to serve to confuse, present a "it just is" picture of programming, and limit creativity. I'm sorry I can't point you at any specific book, though ...
    -Koralt

Did u know it's easier for a kid to learn a foreign language than it is for an adult...?? If he starts with C++ he won't have to make the switch to C++ later on, because the biggest problems Anyone has when they change from one lang to another is their habits of other languages. C++ is not hard, it's just that some of us programers who've been doing it since Qbasic.. it's hard for us to make the switch, cause we learn learn and learn then say, damn it's too much work, I'm staying with VB. so if his son starts out with C++, he'll be successful later on in life.

I would recommend C++. Most programmers, some time or another, will have to learn C++, thus, learning it now would help him greatly.