Thread: HTML user-defined element , howto ?

Sleep mode

Resolved HTML user-defined element , howto ?

I want to create a HTML user-defined element to use it in my CSS file,how is that ?I used <Comment>xxxxx</Comment> but it's not getting applied from the CSS file.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pirate; Feb 11th, 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Re: HTML user-defined element , howto ?

I am not sure what you mean.

Do you want to have a user defined CSS class? I think you can extend XHTML to include user defined elements, but as for whether a browser would recognise these and when they do, their behaviour, I don't know.

What is it you want to do?
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Sleep mode

Maybe it's not possible ! but anyway , I want to wrap a comment text within a HTML element that I define.Then I can control it in my CSS file..I know I can use span or p with class name but I'd be more cooler if it works just like the element "code" .

Use class and id selectors.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

BTW, comment is an HTML element that defines a comment,that by default is not displayed.

Sleep mode
    I guess I've no other option ...Cheers

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    Maybe it's not possible ! but anyway , I want to wrap a comment text within a HTML element that I define.Then I can control it in my CSS file..I know I can use span or p with class name but I'd be more cooler if it works just like the element "code" .
    Maybe you should be using XML instead of HTML.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

It is possible: create a custom DTD (document type definition). This way you can create elements to your liking and you can also style these and it should work.

I don't know the details, but I've seen working custom DTD HTML pages.

But it's no longer really HTML.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

Sleep mode

That's sounds a lot of work ! but I'm using dotnetnuke and I don't think I can do that.I solved it using different approach.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

Well, I didn't mean to create an entirely new DTD: use existing and add a new element.