Thread: Need help with SQL Server 2005

Frenzied Member

Need help with SQL Server 2005

I have installed SS 2005 on my vista ultimate edition, but for some reason the server components wont install properly. The management studio runs perfectly but the main database instance is nowhere to be found. All I can connect to is sqlexpress.

Anyway, when I try to connect to the sqlexpress I login as my local user, using windows authentication, the sa user is disabled by default.

Now when I am logged in I can do absolutely nothing. I check my rights usings
    select * from fn_my_permissions (null, 'server'), and the only thing i have is

VIEW ALL DATABASES
    CONNECT

I need to log onto sqlexpress with a sysadmin, but i cant create a login because i have no permissions and the sa user is disabled and i dont have rights to enable it...

I have worked with sqlserver 2000 a lot and never had these problems. Anyone with experience using sql server 2005?

Because I cant figure out how to proceed since the sa user seem to be disabled by default. THis wasnt the case with SS 2000...

Or have I forgotten something?

/Henrik

Re: Need help with SQL Server 2005

Ok - first of all - are you using SQL SERVER EXPRESS?

Or did you install a full blown copy of MS SQL SERVER 2005 (such as developers edition)?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Re: Need help with SQL Server 2005

Hi!

Well... I was trying to install SS 2005, but it refused so all I ended up with was the SS 2005 Express database which was a part of Dev studio 2005.

I spent almost an hour reading blogs and such before I finally figured out that the Enterprise edition of SS2005 won't install its server components on Vista. It could be done with some hacking, but im not interested in that.

Now during the morning I installed the Standard edition of SS 2005 and it worked, I even got the server components installed.

So I guess I close this thread and wait for Microsoft to release a Vista compatible relesase of SS 2005.

kind regards
    Henrik