Thread: [02/03] What is the 'NewLine' char (to use with string.split)?

Frenzied Member

[02/03] What is the 'NewLine' char (to use with string.split)?

The title is funny but I couldn't think of a more descriptive one. I am trying to split clipboard contents and want to do it with the string.split method and not with the Split function. Can't figure out the new line delimiter, so
    Code:
    Text
    Text
    Text
    Text
    ends up with empty lines in between:
    PHP Code:
    Text

Text

Text

Text 
    VB 2005, Win Xp Pro sp2

Lively Member

Re: [02/03] What is the 'NewLine' char (to use with string.split)?

vbcrlf
    Visual Studio 2005 - Visual Basic and C#
    Love that SQL

Don't use vbCrLf in VB.NET at all. You should use ControlChars.NewLine or Environment.NewLine.

The problem is that the .NET 1.x version of String.Split doesn't take strings as delimiters. It will only split on single characters as delimiters. If you try to split on line breaks, which is a string that is a combination of a carriage return character and a line feed character, then one of two things can happen, depending on the situation.

1. The CrLf String will be implicitly converted to a Char by simply taking the first character. This means that you'll be splitting on the carriage return only, thus leaving the line feed behind in the results. When you try to display the results those line feeds will be displayed as line breaks.

2. The CrLf String will be split into two characters and the original string will be split on every carriage return and every line feed. This will add empty strings to your results for the substrings that are between each carriage return and line feed pair.

The .NET 2.0 String.Split method adds some additional overloads that do take strings as delimiters. In .NET 1.x I suggest that you use Regex.Split instead, e.g.
    VB Code:
    1. Dim lines As String() = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Split(multiLineString, Environment.NewLine)

Frenzied Member

Well it appears that even controlchars.vbCrLf is not a char but actually a string. I could use .Replace(vbCrLf, vbCr).Split(Controlchars.Cr) but I guess I tortured the framework enough for today.

Thanks jmcilhinney, will use your idea.
    VB 2005, Win Xp Pro sp2

Quote Originally Posted by Half
    Well it appears that even controlchars.vbCrLf is not a char but actually a string.
    I already said that. ControlChars.CrLf and ContolChars.NewLine are both a carriage return (Cr) and line feed (Lf) pair. Two characters can never be one character. The difference between ControlChars.NewLine and Environment.NewLine is that one is a constant and the other isn't. Environment.NewLine returns the line break sequence for the current environment. That means that under Mono on Linux/Unix it will return just a line feed, while on Windows it will return a carriage return and line feed. ControlChars.NewLine is defined as a carriage return and line feed so it will not change regardless of the platform.

Lively Member

Hmm - I have used it and never had a problem, but this gives me something to think about.
    Visual Studio 2005 - Visual Basic and C#
    Love that SQL