Thread: FTP file upload not working properly

Addicted Member

FTP file upload not working properly

Hi all,

I've made a program that takes a screenshot, saves it locally, and then uploads it via FTP to my server using a certain naming system.

I have included all of the code exactly how it is, except that the real FTP login details, which I have changed to "ftp://usernameassword@address.com". Obviously, I use my real login details here.

The problem is, the file I am uploading is a fairly hefty bitmap (about 3-4MB). I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but basically the issue is that if I try and run the code, sometimes it will outright crash, giving me the normal windows error, sometimes it will work, and (if compiled as an exe) it gives a special error message before crashing. I have included both error messages in the attatch screenshot "Ugh.JPG".

Can anyone tell me why my program is doing this, and how to stop it? Maybe the file is too large or something? Maybe there's a better way of transferring it? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Addicted Member

Re: FTP file upload not working properly

Bump.

Anyone? Please? ^_^

First of all I would convert the BMP to a JPG using the below API (attached) so the file size is significantly reduced.

Second there are no login details in your app?

VB Code:
    1. 'This converts the bmp to jpg
    2. Public Declare Function BmpToJpeg Lib "Bmp2Jpeg.dll" _
    3. (ByVal bmpFileName As String, ByVal JpegFilename As String, ByVal CompressQuality As Integer) As Integer

Addicted Member

Thanks for the reply,

I don't really want to convert it to a JPG though - that's why i'm looking to try and make it work: I'd prefer to keep it as a BMP if possible. FTP should be able to transfer 3-4MB without any issues, shouldn't it?

And yep, I do have login details in the app. I've removed them from this app (the one that i've uploaded) for security reasons.

One thing I thought of is to increase the "Timeout" property of your Inet control....

Addicted Member

Ah don't worry about it, I decided to not bother uploading it onto my website because it's too much hassle.. I'll just keep it as a local version, it'll work then!

Thanks anyway.