Thread: What do you really need to be Web Developer ?

Sleep mode

What do you really need to be Web Developer ?

What tools , knowledge , ...etc you need to be web developer ????

Re: What do you really need to be Web Developer ?

I'm just curious... why you are asking that things then you are a Microsoft Certified? It's weird... just kdng...
    noister
    <advertising link removed by moderator>

PowerPoster

Basically - Notepad .. and a Web Server.
    Also, lots of time and dedication.

Sleep mode

What do you really need to be Web Developer ?

Quote Originally Posted by noielen
    I'm just curious... why you are asking that things then you are a Microsoft Certified? It's weird... just kdng...
    Yes I'm MCAD/MCSD certified but unfortunately I studied web development only in two exams . So , I only know abstract but I've not done any practice ...I'm asking this because I find it difficult for me to create a nice website without the knowledge in photoshop or any graphics creation app . So I was wondering do all web developers have to learn this also !!!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    Yes I'm MCAD/MCSD certified but unfortunately I studied web development only in two exams . So , I only know abstract but I've not done any practice ...I'm asking this because I find it difficult for me to create a nice website without the knowledge in photoshop or any graphics creation app . So I was wondering do all web developers have to learn this also !!!
    Not all web developers learn graphics. On most teams there is usually at least one graphics persion. On very small projects with complex graphics there is often an outside graphics person contracted for that part of the work.
    A web developer typically does the logic of the site, and not the graphics.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    A website isnt all about graphics ... in any event you can use something as simple as Paint Shop Pro .. or outsource if you need any extensive graphics.

Sleep mode

Thanks guys , I'll launch my website soon

yah, rory and woodyz are both correct... you need not to learn graphics so that you will be a web developer... but most web developers knows graphics... this is not important for a web developer but the logic of the site and the functionalities...
    noister
    <advertising link removed by moderator>

PowerPoster

yep i was forced to learn some over the years ... no professional graphics but enough for my websites.

If you want to be a web developer, you just need to pick some technologies and become familiar with them.

HTML/CSS/JavaScript are givens.

PHP vs ASP.
    MySQL vs PostgreSQL vs ... infinity

Become knowledgable about Internet Explorer vs Firefox (vs Opera vs Safari) as well as rendering difference between them.

It would also help (but is not required) to be knowledgable about the system you're using, ie Linux + Apache, or Windows + ISS. Become familiar with various configurations, etc on the webserver and OS of your (or your companies choice).

And learn by experience.
    My evil laugh has a squeak in it.

kristopherwilson.com

Banned

Just to reiterate and give terminology to something that's been previously posted about roughly 4 times. Web development and web design are two different fields. As many people have posted, web developers aren't necessarily concerned with the graphics portion.

I'm currently working as a web developer (if you had to categorize it). I end up positioning images and handling various formatting things (mainly because web sites are becoming more and more client-preference based. CSS has become an increasing concern for web developers).

So to answer your question... You can get by with (assuming you go MS route) ASP.Net, ASP, Javascript, XHTML 4.0, CSS and XML Web Services.