Thread: Keeping sequential files in a MDB file

Addicted Member

Keeping sequential files in a MDB file

I have been keeping some simple Ascii text in a sequential file using the old style Open and Print # commands, but would now like to keep this in the actual MDB files so it is all in one place and easier to backup. It is simple things like what you typically find in a INI file. Since each line is not really a record, I am not sure where to begin. I am familiar with defining the table name, fields and indexes with normal tables. In essence it is a simple 1 dimensional array of 50 elements. Would you define 50 fields and only have 1 record in it or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mickey

Re: Keeping sequential files in a MDB file

Two columns - one should be IDENTITY or AUTONUMBER and the primary key...

The other column will be a big old VARCHAR() field - it will contain your .INI data.

It will look your like your INI file - but with the added benefit of having a "row #" column - if you ever needed it (to update or delete a row).

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

Re: Keeping sequential files in a MDB file

For storing files you could use the LongBinary Data field.
    This field can be used to store any type of file.