Thread: [RESOLVED] How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

I have developed a windows application using VS 2005 standard edition. I would like to use Inno to create a single setup file that will install dotnetfx.exe if the user's computer doesn't have .net framework 2.0. Does anyone have any ideas? I am able to silently install dotnetfx.exe using Inno but I am unable to determine if the user has .net framework 2.0 on their computer. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Re: How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

If the user has the .NET framework on their PC, and you run dotnetfx.exe, it will simply not install it, so you don't really have to worry...

you can test this if you have a clean testbox without the framework..

if you install your app on on a box without the framework, it will take X amount of time. run your installation again and it will be a lot quicker because the framework doesn't get reinstalled.

What params do you pass to dotnetfx? I use
    Parameters: "/q:a /c:""install /l /q""";

I am using the same parameters that you are using, but it takes the same amount of time to install(4-10min) whether I have the framework on it or not. To simulate a clean machine I go to Add/Remove programs and remove .net framework 2.0. I install my inno setup file and it installs .net framework 2.0 and takes around 4 minutes to install. When I run the inno setup file for a second time on the same computer that has 2.0 framework it still takes the same amount of time to install(4 minutes). Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

well 4 and 10 minutes are considerably different amounts of time when it comes to installing something...

I found this article where the guy uses scripting and checks some reg keys to see if the framework is present or not. You may want to give this a go.

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/de...biz.5.402705.5

his code incorporates the isxdl.dll to download the framework if needed, but you can modify the code to just use the local dotnetfx you distribute with your app instead of downloading it.

Downloading the framework on demand is nice, but may result in problems with firewalls etc...

Smile Re: How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

Thanks Kleinma,

That link was a great resource and I was able to get it to work if the user downloads from Microsoft. I am currently testing to get the inno script to download if necessary from the CD vs the Web. I will post it once I get it resolved. Thanks again for all of your help.

I found that it does install it whether or not it is installed and I ended up using a script checking for a reg key. I also use ISTool, which will download the dotnetfx.exe from microsoft if it is not present in the folder with the installer
    here is my inno script
    [code]
    ;ADMSIP Server Setup

#define Reports "C:\Release\ADMSIP\Reports"
    #define SourceFileDir "C:\Release\ADMSIP\package"
    #define Requirements "C:\Release\ADMSIP\Required"
    #define IncludeFramework true
    #define Client false

[Setup]
    AppName=ADMSIP
    AppVerName=ADMSIP
    AppPublisher=RSCS,Inc.
    DefaultDirName={pf}\RSCS\AMDSIP
    defaultgroupname=RCSC
    DisableProgramGroupPage=no
    DirExistsWarning=no
    UninstallFilesDir={app}
    UninstallDisplayIcon={app}\ADMSIP.exe
    Compression=lzma
    SolidCompression=yes
    VersionInfoVersion=0.1.0.0

OutputBaseFilename=Setup_Server

OutputDir={#SourceFileDir}\setup\Server

[_ISTool]
    EnableISX=true

[Tasks]
    Name: "desktopicon"; Description: "{cm:CreateDesktopIcon}"; GroupDescription: "{cm:AdditionalIcons}"; Flags: unchecked

[Files]
    Source: {#Requirements}\isxdl.dll; Flags: dontcopy
    Source: {#SourceFileDir}\ADMSIP.exe; DestDir: {app}; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: {#SourceFileDir}\XPCommonControls.dll; DestDir: {app}; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: {#Requirements}\CRRedist2005_x86.msi; DestDir: {tmp}; Flags: deleteafterinstall
    Source: {#Requirements}\sqlncli.msi; DestDir: {tmp}; Flags: deleteafterinstall
    Source: {#Requirements}\fileImporter.exe; DestDir: {app}; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: {#Requirements}\U2LEXPO.DLL; DestDir: {sys}
    Source: {#Requirements}\IsLicense.net.dll; DestDir: "{cf}\InteractiveStudios"; Flags: regserver sharedfile allowunsafefiles
    Source: {#Requirements}\Interop.IsLicenseDotNet.dll; DestDir: {app}
    Source: {#Requirements}\Config.ini; DestDir: {app}

[Icons]
    Name: {group}\ADMSIP; Filename: {app}\ADMSIP.exe; WorkingDir: {app}
    Name: {userdesktop}\ADMSIP; Filename: {app}\ADMSIP; WorkingDir: {app}

[Run]
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -remgroup ""ADMSIP"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -addgroup 1.2 -url ""file://{app}/*"" FullTrust -name ""ADMSIP"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"
    Filename: "msiexec.exe"; Parameters: "/q /i ""{tmp}\CRRedist2005_x86.msi""" ; WorkingDir: {tmp}; StatusMsg: "Installing required Crystal Reports components, This can take several minutes..."
    Filename: "msiexec.exe"; Parameters: "/q /i ""{tmp}\sqlncli.msi""" ; WorkingDir: {tmp}; StatusMsg: "Installing SQL Server Native Client, This can take several minutes..."
    FileName: "regsvr32"; Parameters: "/s ""{cf}\InteractiveStudios\IsLicense.net.dll"""; WorkingDir: {cf}; StatusMsg: "Registering DLL's"

[UninstallRun]
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -remgroup ""ADMSIP"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"
    FileName: "regsvr32"; Parameters: "/u /s ""{cf}\InteractiveStudios\IsLicense.net.dll"""; WorkingDir: {cf}; StatusMsg: "Registering DLL's"

[UninstallDelete]
    Type: files; Name: {app}\Config.ini
    Type: files; Name: {app}\XPCommonControls.dll
    type: files; Name: {app}\FileImporter.exe
    type: files; name: {app}\Interop.IsLicenseDotNet.dll
    type: filesandordirs; name: {cf}\InteractiveStudios
    type: filesandordirs; name: {app}\SQL

Code:
    var
      dotnetRedistPath: string;
      downloadNeeded: boolean;
      dotNetNeeded: boolean;
      memoDependenciesNeeded: string;

procedure isxdl_AddFile(URL, Filename: PChar);
    external 'isxdl_AddFile@files:isxdl.dll stdcall';
    function isxdl_DownloadFiles(hWnd: Integer): Integer;
    external 'isxdl_DownloadFiles@files:isxdl.dll stdcall';
    function isxdl_SetOption(Option, Value: PChar): Integer;
    external 'isxdl_SetOption@files:isxdl.dll stdcall';

const
      dotnetRedistURL = 'http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe';
      // local system for testing...	
      // dotnetRedistURL = 'http://192.168.1.1/dotnetfx.exe';

function InitializeSetup(): Boolean;

begin
      Result := true;
      dotNetNeeded := false;

// Check for required netfx installation
      if (not RegKeyExists(HKLM, 'Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0')) then begin
        dotNetNeeded := true;
        if (not IsAdminLoggedOn()) then begin
          MsgBox('AMDS needs the Microsoft .NET Framework to be installed by an Administrator', mbInformation, MB_OK);
          Result := false;
        end else begin
          memoDependenciesNeeded := memoDependenciesNeeded + '      .NET Framework v2.0' #13;
          dotnetRedistPath := ExpandConstant('{src}\dotnetfx.exe');
          if not FileExists(dotnetRedistPath) then begin
            dotnetRedistPath := ExpandConstant('{tmp}\dotnetfx.exe');
            if not FileExists(dotnetRedistPath) then begin
              isxdl_AddFile(dotnetRedistURL, dotnetRedistPath);
              downloadNeeded := true;
            end;
          end;
          SetIniString('install', 'dotnetRedist', dotnetRedistPath, ExpandConstant('{tmp}\dep.ini'));
        end;
      end;

end;

function NextButtonClick(CurPage: Integer): Boolean;
    var
      hWnd: Integer;
      ResultCode: Integer;

begin
      Result := true;

if CurPage = wpReady then begin

hWnd := StrToInt(ExpandConstant('{wizardhwnd}'));

// don't try to init isxdl if it's not needed because it will error on < ie 3
        if downloadNeeded then begin

isxdl_SetOption('label', 'Downloading Microsoft .NET Framework');
          isxdl_SetOption('description', 'ADMS needs to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Please wait while Setup is downloading extra files to your computer.');
          if isxdl_DownloadFiles(hWnd) = 0 then Result := false;
        end;
        if (Result = true) and (dotNetNeeded = true) then begin
          if Exec(ExpandConstant(dotnetRedistPath), '', '', SW_SHOW, ewWaitUntilTerminated, ResultCode) then begin
             // handle success if necessary; ResultCode contains the exit code
             if not (ResultCode = 0) then begin
             end;
          end else begin
             // handle failure if necessary; ResultCode contains the error code
          end;
        end;
      end;
    end;

function UpdateReadyMemo(Space, NewLine, MemoUserInfoInfo, MemoDirInfo, MemoTypeInfo, MemoComponentsInfo, MemoGroupInfo, MemoTasksInfo: String): String;
    var
      s: string;

begin
      if memoDependenciesNeeded <> '' then s := s + 'Dependencies to install:' + NewLine + memoDependenciesNeeded + NewLine;
      s := s + MemoDirInfo + NewLine + NewLine;

Result := s
    end;
    Boooya
    • Visual Studio 2008 Professional
    • Don't forget to use [CODE]your code here[/CODE] when posting code
    • Don't forget to rate helpful posts!
    • If you're question was answered please mark your thread [Resolved]

Code Contributions:
    PHP
    PHP Image Gallery v1.0PHP Image Gallery v2.0
    VB 2005
    Find Computers on a networkSimple License EncryptionSQL Server Database Access dllUse Reflection to Return Crystal ReportDocumentSilently Print PDFGeneric Xml Serailizer

Useful Links: (more to come)
    MSDN (The first and foremost)MSDN Design Guidelines API Reference • Inno Setup CompilerInno Setup PreprocessorISTool - Fairly easy to use GUI for creating inno setup projects • Connection StringsNAnt -Automated BuildsCruise Control .NET - Frontend for automated builds

Bmahler thanks for posting your inno script. I compared it to my script and they are identical in the code section. I am still not able to install dotnetfx.exe directly from the cd vs downloading the file. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for your help.

you should copy the framework to a temp folder in the files section, and then run it from the temp folder...

something like
    Code:
    Source: dotnetfx.exe;            DestDir: {tmp};       Flags: ignoreversion

The way that Mine runs is that I do not package the dotnetfx into the installer, because the dependency check runs before any of the file copying happens. Instead, on the cd i would have 2 files (you may have more), Installer.exe and dotnetfx.exe. When the installer runs, it checks it's source folder for dotnetfx.exe and if it is not found, it downloads it to the temp folder and installs from there. This is useful in case the user copies the installer and not the dontnetfx.exe.

If you bundle the dotnetfx.exe into the installer and tell it to copy it to the temp folder, it will donload it every time because this script checks for it before it performs any other operations, ie file copying etc...
    Boooya
    • Visual Studio 2008 Professional
    • Don't forget to use [CODE]your code here[/CODE] when posting code
    • Don't forget to rate helpful posts!
    • If you're question was answered please mark your thread [Resolved]

Code Contributions:
    PHP
    PHP Image Gallery v1.0PHP Image Gallery v2.0
    VB 2005
    Find Computers on a networkSimple License EncryptionSQL Server Database Access dllUse Reflection to Return Crystal ReportDocumentSilently Print PDFGeneric Xml Serailizer

Useful Links: (more to come)
    MSDN (The first and foremost)MSDN Design Guidelines API Reference • Inno Setup CompilerInno Setup PreprocessorISTool - Fairly easy to use GUI for creating inno setup projects • Connection StringsNAnt -Automated BuildsCruise Control .NET - Frontend for automated builds

Kleinma,

Once dotnetfx.exe is copied to the temp folder how do I run it in my inno script if the user doesn't have .net 2.0?

Mahler,

If I don't include dotnetfx.exe in my inno setup then where in your inno code does it check for the dotnetfx.exe file before downloading it from Microsoft?

Thanks to both of you for helping me out. This is my first app I have deployed using .net. Previously I used VB6.

Talking Re: How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

Please disregard the previous post. After furthur stepping through the code I realized I was placing the dotnetfx.exe file in the wrong folder when I was compiling my inno setup script.

One more question for you Inno guru's what exactly does the below code (CasPol.exe do)? I assume it is setting the trust level to FullTrust but why is this necessary? Would this occur for a user that has a limited account?

[Run]
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -remgroup ""MECAWind"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -addgroup 1.2 -url ""file://{app}/*"" FullTrust -name ""MECAWind"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"

[UninstallRun]
    Filename: {win}\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CasPol.exe; Parameters: "-q -machine -remgroup ""MECAWind"""; WorkingDir: {tmp}; Flags: skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Setting Program Access Permissions"

Thanks again for the great code samples.

caspol is being used incase the user installs their software to a network drive.

By default the .NET framework only gives partial trust to network paths (even if they are mapped to a letter)

so if a customer were to install it to their network drive, it would likely crash in places it wouldn't if it was installed on a local drive.

Or technically (but not likely) they could have set their local drives to not have full trust for the .NET framework, in which case caspol will give the needed trust level to the applications directory.

Talking Re: How to deploy .net framework 2.0 using INNO setup

Thanks Kleinma and Mahler for all of your help. I learned a lot about deploying .net 2.0.