Thread: Executing registry reads or writes from ASP.Net

Executing registry reads or writes from ASP.Net

I am trying to create a web page in ASP.Net to access the registry of a client machine that views the page. In theory, in Classic ASP, you could use an Active X Control. In .Net, how is this achieved?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Re: Executing registry reads or writes from ASP.Net

I would imagine you would have to use a ASP.NET user control? That is the only client side thing in ASP.NET I am aware of that the .NET framework can run against.

Remember the end user would need to have the .NET framework installed on their machine, versus just a regular ASP.NET website, which simply spits HTML and JS out to the browser

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

The most prudent solution would be to use an ActiveX control, because ASP.NET remains a server side technology. You could, in theory, write a .NET control and embed it on a web page, but the client would need the .NET framework on their machine.

I have tried to do this, and despite my efforts, i am unable to read the computername key, which houses the hostname of the client. BTW, this is just for personal knowledge. If at all possible, could you(s) create a sample project in VS2005 (VB)? A simple button on a default.aspx page that when clicked, will msgbox the contents of any reg key. Thanx in advanced. I am able to write a vb6 ocx, and use that in an aspx page.So now as a sample just wanted to see how a dll is done. Well should i say a client control (ascx). I am not sure if a class needs to be created and referenced, or just create an ascx in the web project and drag and drop onto aspx page.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

No, you won't use an ASCX for this. That is a server side control. It does not interact with the client's machine.

You say you can use the VB6 COM control, so continue using that.

If you want, you can write an ActiveX control in .NET.