Thread: Newbie Q:Is it possible to have PHP script run on server every minute automatically

Fanatic Member

Newbie Q:Is it possible to have PHP script run on server every minute automatically

I'm trying to make a script that will monitor a certain site (eg: weather forecast) and if it contains a certain value then the script must email me.
    I want this script to continually run, but without me having to open it in my web browser.
    So is it possible to make the script execute on the server every 1 minute or so?
    If not in PHP, then what language is this possible in?
    If I helped you out, please consider adding to my reputation!

-- "The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard" --

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

Re: Newbie Q:Is it possible to have PHP script run on server every minute automatically

You can run a PHP script stanalone from by simple supplying it with the script path:
    Code:
    # linux
    ~# php script.php

# windows
    C:\>\path\to\php.exe script.php
    in linux you can use a cron job to have it run every minute. In windows you can have it run as a scheduled task.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Fanatic Member

Re: Newbie Q:Is it possible to have PHP script run on server every minute automatically

Thanx for the help.
    How would I setup the cron job if I'm using GoDaddy shared Linux hosting?

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

PowerPoster

i don't know how their interface is set up, so you could try either asking their technical support about setting up a cron job, or just start looking through your control panel for anything about scheduled tasks or cron jobs.
    Like Archer? Check out some Sterling Archer quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by shirazamod
    Thanx for the help.
    How would I setup the cron job if I'm using GoDaddy shared Linux hosting?
    I'm pretty sure GoDaddy hosting doesn't support this. I briefly looked into them for hosting and it didn't seem that great.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Fanatic Member

Damn! Do you know of any free hosts that support cron jobs?

VB6 Programs By Me:

PowerPoster

I highly doubt that there are any free hosts that would. you can try searching, but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't find anything.
    Like Archer? Check out some Sterling Archer quotes.

Fanatic Member

I've actually found a few by searching Google, but none of them seem to work fine.
    I've found a PHP script called Virtual Crontab which supposedly allows you to simulate Cron jobs, but I haven't been able to check it out yet (I'm not on my own computer)

VB6 Programs By Me:

Re: Newbie Q:Is it possible to have PHP script run on server every minute automatical

Quote Originally Posted by shirazamod
    I've actually found a few by searching Google, but none of them seem to work fine.
    I've found a PHP script called Virtual Crontab which supposedly allows you to simulate Cron jobs, but I haven't been able to check it out yet (I'm not on my own computer)

Ive looked into this and these scripts do work, how ever if the webserver is restarted you need to manualy call the scripts again.

Fanatic Member

Thanks for the heads up.
    Do you know of any way around this? Also, do you happen to know how often GoDaddy would restart their servers (every day? week? month?)

I think a possible workaround would be to setup virtual cron jobs on 2 different servers, and somehow make each one check that the other is working, and if not then it must call the script on the other server. Think it'll work?

VB6 Programs By Me: