PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
cmb vs. cbo-VBForums

Thread: cmb vs. cbo

Fanatic Member

cmb vs. cbo

Back in my day (about 4 years ago), we used "cbo" for combo boxes. Now the hungarian notation is "cmb"? When did that change?
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

Re: cmb vs. cbo

There is no such thing as "official" Hungarian notation so just use what you want. It's fairly common knowledge that I think it's pointless but, if I was going to use it, I would consider "cmb" or "cbx" more logical than "cbo". Abbreviating a word normally means removing the vowels or removing syllables as a first step. "cbo" does neither so I don't see the logic.

Fanatic Member

I had noticed throughout my life that abbreviations usually remove the vowels, but when I learned programming in VB 5 & 6 it was definitely "cbo".
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

I prefer cmb more logical.

Don't use Hungarian. Problem solved.

Fanatic Member

Hungarian is still useful for components. I don't use it for variables.

Lurker

"Selecta", in an Ali G voice.

Aiight.

Addicted Member

I don't think Microsoft uses Hungarian Notation anymore. (I read somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSpangler
    I don't think Microsoft uses Hungarian Notation anymore. (I read somewhere).
    Microsoft has naming guidelines that don't include Hungarian notation. Just look at the entire Framework class library. I'll tell you what really gets my goat: Hungarian on type names. Using it with variable names is one thing, and using it on private an local variables doesn't break the .NET naming conventions because no members so named are exposed publicly, but when I see:
    VB Code:
    1. Public Class frmSomething
    or:
    VB Code:
    1. Public Class clsSomething
    my left eye starts twitching. Having said that, my goats pretty easy to get, so there's no real achievement there. Anyway, I'll leave this thread alone because I'm getting way off topic and I think I've already had too many rants about Hungarian.

Fanatic Member

The only place I use it is when naming controls placed on my forms. I don't use cls or frm for classes and forms. I find lstLocations or txtFirstName helpful in differentiating between class level variables, m_Points, and local variables/arguments, someVariable.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I only ever use hungarian when i'm naming controls on forms, but I do it religiously.

use "cbo" because 90% of the rest of the world will know what it means. cmb is a thing you tidy your hair with.
    I don't live here any more.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wossname
    I only ever use hungarian when i'm naming controls on forms, but I do it religiously.

use "cbo" because 90% of the rest of the world will know what it means. cmb is a thing you tidy your hair with.
    Exactly!