Thread: [RESOLVED] Using BitBlt in VB.NET?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Using BitBlt in VB.NET?

Hi all,

I'm new to bitblt, i have worked on a vb6 project with a partner who used it before, but after trying to apply the methods to vb.net i discovered that vb.net doesn't allow you to blt an image which isn't visible on the screen! in vb6 an invisible picturebox used to do the trick.

I have found some answers from googling, involving methods such as CreateCompatibleDC, SelectObject and others.. but these answers are not well explained and i'm a bit lost as to how to get it to work.

Bsically all i need is an explanation of how to use a .net bitmap or image object and draw it using bitblt. I am wanting to use bitblt to get some better performance then the frameworks functions will provide, but without going all the way to directx.

If anyone has tackled this problem before any help is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Using BitBlt in VB.NET?

The .NET functions wrap most of the API functions anyway. Functions, for example, DrawEllipse:
    PHP Code:
    Graphics g this.CreateGraphics();
    g.DrawEllipse(Pens.Blue005050); 
    ..use the DrawEllipse API. Almost all graphics functions make use of the API, so I would suggest learning those. Of course, not all things use the API, so people do often go back to using the API's in .NET. Not sure how to do it in VB.NET, but it can't be much different than it already is. In C# its alot different, but yeah...google is your friend (search the forums too )

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

Thanks chem,

I am quite familiar with gdi+ provided within the framework, you can do great effects with it, however this is a personal project a friend and myself are doing which is a small game, unfortunetly the graphics class methods are too slow to make even a fairly tame game run anywhere near 30fps.

I have been led to believe that blting directly is faster than the .drawimage method (which i can beleive because it seems to run well in vb6) but if that's not the case i'll have to pull my finger out n learn directx.

as for it not being different, well it isn't, if i put my image into a visible picturebox, i can freely blt it into my main picturebox.. BUT make it invisible and it simply captures the part of the screen it was meant to be in (this wasnt a problem in vb6), i need help with using the image object with bltbit without a picturebox control, the examples are a little overwhelming.

I'm sure JR will chime in soon with 101 DX tutorials for me :P

Fanatic Member

If you already have a .NET Bitmap or Image object them painting it on the screen is easy. You just need a Graphics object. If you're painting outside the Paint event, then first make sure you're on the same thread that's running the form, and call CreateGraphics() to return the object. In the paint event it's passed as the event args through e.Graphics. Graphics has a DrawImage method to do just what you want. If flickering is a problem then when the form (or user control if you're drawing in that) loads call SetStyle(ControlStyles.[something about double buffering], True). There are also other styles that can help improve performance.
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

Fanatic Member

You'll need LoadImage to get a HANDLE to the bitmap. CreateCompatibleDC to create an offscreen device context to place the bitmap on. SelectObject to place the bitmap onto the DC. BitBlt to transfer the bits from the offscreen DC of your bitmap to the onscreen DC of the window. And don't forget DeleteDC to release your offscreen DC and DeleteObject to release the bitmap. Google can provide all the prototypes and documentation on msdn needed to use these functions.
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill64
    BUT make it invisible and it simply captures the part of the screen it was meant to be in (this wasnt a problem in vb6), i need help with using the image object with bltbit without a picturebox control, the examples are a little overwhelming.
    I think you were blitting it wrong. This is how I would do it in C#:
    PHP Code:
    [DllImport("gdi32.dll")]
            public static 
    extern bool BitBlt(IntPtr hObjectint nXDestint nYDestint nWidth,

int nHeightIntPtr hObjSourceint nXSrcint nYSrcTernaryRasterOperations dwRop);

public 
    enum TernaryRasterOperations

{

SRCCOPY 0x00CC0020/* dest = source*/

SRCPAINT 0x00EE0086/* dest = source OR dest*/

SRCAND 0x008800C6/* dest = source AND dest*/

SRCINVERT 0x00660046/* dest = source XOR dest*/

SRCERASE 0x00440328/* dest = source AND (NOT dest )*/

NOTSRCCOPY 0x00330008/* dest = (NOT source)*/

NOTSRCERASE 0x001100A6/* dest = (NOT src) AND (NOT dest) */

MERGECOPY 0x00C000CA/* dest = (source AND pattern)*/

MERGEPAINT 0x00BB0226/* dest = (NOT source) OR dest*/

PATCOPY 0x00F00021/* dest = pattern*/

PATPAINT 0x00FB0A09/* dest = DPSnoo*/

PATINVERT 0x005A0049/* dest = pattern XOR dest*/

DSTINVERT 0x00550009/* dest = (NOT dest)*/

BLACKNESS 0x00000042/* dest = BLACK*/

WHITENESS 0x00FF0062/* dest = WHITE*/

};

[
    DllImport("gdi32.dll"ExactSpelling true,

SetLastError true)]
            public static 
    extern IntPtr CreateCompatibleDC(IntPtr hDC);

[
    DllImport("gdi32.dll"ExactSpelling true,

SetLastError true)]
            public static 
    extern bool DeleteDC(IntPtr hdc);

[
    DllImport("gdi32.dll"ExactSpelling true)]
            public static 
    extern IntPtr SelectObject(IntPtr hDC,

IntPtr hObject);

private 
    void BlitTest()
            {

Graphics g this.CreateGraphics();

IntPtr gDc g.GetHdc();

IntPtr pSource CreateCompatibleDC(gDc);

SelectObject(pSource, ((Bitmap)this.pictureBox1.Image).GetHbitmap());

BitBlt(gDc00pictureBox1.WidthpictureBox1.HeightpSource00TernaryRasterOperations.SRCCOPY);

DeleteDC(pSource);

g.ReleaseHdc(gDc);

g.Dispose();
            } 
    ...and that works fine with the picturebox invisible. You should be able to convert that to VB.NET, as its all pretty much the same. It blits the picturebox image into the form (the image I used was big, so I had to test it invisible from the start (im lazy I don't resize my forms when I'm testing something )).

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

Thanks chem, that's exactly what i was after, your example is easy to understand.

Last night though i discovered SDL.NET, a simple interface for OpenGL and have been working with that instead, 2d blitting and sprites are quite easy to work with.

However i'm sure ill be wanting bitblt for other projects so im tucking your example away for later.

Thanks again for the reply.