Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Us To Save Ana

Re: Please Help Us To Save Ana

Mom, went through 2 operations.

One last year for Thyroid Cancer(October), and one this year (just last month) for Multiple Myoma.

It's always a hard time, dealing with the disease itself. I did not care if I did went bankrupt then, yet despite all the financial support, I still felt all of that was not enough. Not many people are privileged enough to pay for their hospitalization, but they try. We managed to scrounge up enough money for her hospitalization, yet i still felt what i did was not enough.

Now, I admit I am not the type that is into showering affection to friends or family, nor do I need them doing the same to me. I'd be ok if they are just there, well for me that is, that is the only thing I can do for people. I accompanied my mom, for several days on end, especially during her cancer surgery. I'm not a very social person but I am glad that somehow I know she'd choose me to stay with her in the hospital more than anyone else despite that fact that I am partially mute. That's reward enough for me for a silent vigil.

I don't know if I can donate, but I do hope that in every step of the way, you'd all support her and be with her. Treat her no different than before. Sometimes for the sick people it's the seemingly ordinary ways you do for them that becomes extraordinary.
    Last edited by oceanebelle; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

I lost my mum and dad both to cancer. I did what I could at the time. Its very difficult and something that sticks with you for life. I hope ana will be fine.

My best wishes for ana for a speedy recovery..

a

Addicted Member

Visit here
    I again wish Ana my best wishes

Just want to ask a quick question, are donations still needed or you ppl were able to collect the money?

Hi, I get customers to donate money to charitable causes when I am unable to charge or am not permitted to charge for software (e.g. ROM files for Cisco equipment)... but they have no other ability of obtaining the software.

Please can you straightforwardly post the paypal address? Oneana.com is not responding for my browser. Many thx, Gab

i am sure to add this to all of my accounts' sigs in every forum i'm in.
    Please Help Us Save Ana or donate now by going to Oneana.com

Visit my Website at http://www.therealfantasy.com

Planet Xeoroaniar CC Posts:1,928,453,459,361

Quote Originally Posted by moinkhan
    Just want to ask a quick question, are donations still needed or you ppl were able to collect the money?
    If you check the address One Ana it has a graphic bar on the right showing how much has been raised thus far. Still a long way to go so any donations I'm sure would be welcome by Ana
    Life is one big rock tune

I don't know Pete as I've just joined the forum today, but what I do know is how special our children are. I have young kids of my own and my thoughts are with Ana and her speedy recovery, to add to this I've just sent some funds to Pete to help with Ana's treatment.

I did this because I asked for help with some VB code and the forum helped me, which in the grand scheme of things is so insignificant when your talking about a child’s life.

My thoughts and love go out to Ana.

Paul

Addicted Member

My best wishes to Ana, to get well soon.

Haven't used VBF very much in the past year, I can't afford much thanks to having to pay out on my car, but have put in $20, all the best and i hope she makes a speedy recovery

I've donated what little my financial life can... I hope only the best for her. Poor child...

am i too late or what???????????
    i just discovered this!!!!!!!!!!!
    i wanted to tell that ana is in my prayers too.........

I wonder how many charact

Obviously you make too much money (over $50,000) to be eligible for MinnCare. However, have you looked at the Minnesota Comprehensive Health Association ? The premium is a tad over marketplace, but it will cover pre-existing conditions as MinnCare does.

I've sent $50 - but do look into other options as well. Most hospitals and doctors will deduct bills by up to 20% - but only if you ask the office administrators.
    Last edited by nemaroller; Jan 9th, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

Frenzied Member

So sad, The world is a cruel place,

I will do my little bit to help, I have donated $50 and I will add a donation facility to all my software that is release from today onwards including existing software I will make a new build of it. I will also put it in forum sigs,e-mail sig and on my website.

I hope that Ana gets better and will do all I can to help. I will try and donate a bit more next month when I get paid but a bit low this month.

All the best
    Max

Banned

Who is Ana???

The one who has bugs?

Here's some ideas to potentially create more money for Ana / her family / people in need.

My apologies if any of these are currently up and running.

01) Sell VB Forum t-shirts / cups / hats etc.

All, or a percentage, of the profits go to Ana.

02) Set up a web site that sells a VB software 'suite.'

Possibly an all in one application. They way you make money is, for example...
    Software V.1. (with 10 applications) is released when you reach the $100 target.
    Software V.2. (with 20 applications/improvements) is released when you reach the $200 target.
    Software V.3. (with 30 applications/improvements) is released when you reach the $400 target.
    Etc etc.
    This project could also include applications for hand held devices and / or applications written in other programming languages (e.g. C++.)

03) Charge every new (and current?) member $1 US before they can start a thread / post.

This is a one time only fee. And it's only a buck!

04) Organise snail mail payments or bank deposits (i.e. increase the number of ways people can donate.)

This is for people who can't or will not make an online payment.

05) Start a VB (and/or C / C++ / Web design etc etc) consultancy group.

06) Start a VBForums programming training school.

07) Set up a VBForums telephone hotline that gives immediate answers to people's VB / computing problems.

You make the money from time charged / pay by the minute telephone calls.

08) Start a PDA / Mobile phone application development company.

09) Start a VBForums accreditation program.

10) Organise a VBForums party (yay!) for VBForums members.

A fundraising activity (e.g. People pay $20 to enter).

11) Organise a VB coding competition.

For example, $50 to enter.

12) Ask companies to make a contribution (e.g. $1000).

E.g. For every $1000 they get 10 hours of a programmer's time and maybe some advertising on this web site.

13) Organise an 'Ebayathon' where each member sells something on Ebay.

If they make money (e.g. over $20) and pass it on to Ana or VBForums, they get a little golden star next to their Avatar / name.

14) Write a VBForums VB e-book (for all us non-programmers and/or for more experienced programmers).

Like the software example (above) you release a newer / updated version of the book when you reach a certain target.

15) Write a VB program that teaches VB interactively.

16) Ask Bill Gates (i.e. The B&M Gates Foundation) for some cash.

Seriously... After all, you guys are keeping VB popular. Linux isn't going away and there's already a Linux version of VB (i.e. Gambas.) Maybe do this via a petition, or, more 'formally.'

17) Set up a house/island in Second Life and charge people to get in and ask questions.

18) Develop a gambling game like the one in 'Second Life' (similar to Kino if I remember correctly).

19) Set up other VB / Programming forum web sites with different structures (e.g. subscription based, lots of advertising, pay to get points (just like the Universities) etc etc). In other words, create a monopoly and capitalise on it.

20) Start up a programmer's version of Myspace.

Some of those ideas are pretty out there, especially when you read them for the first time. But, you know, where there's a will there's a way.

Good luck.

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arty2000
    Here's some ideas to potentially create more money for Ana / her family / people in need.

All, or a percentage, of the profits go to Ana.

02) Set up a web site that sells a VB software 'suite.'

Possibly an all in one application. They way you make money is, for example...
    Software V.1. (with 10 applications) is released when you reach the $100 target.
    Software V.2. (with 20 applications/improvements) is released when you reach the $200 target.
    Software V.3. (with 30 applications/improvements) is released when you reach the $400 target.
    Etc etc.
    This project could also include applications for hand held devices and / or applications written in other programming languages (e.g. C++.)

03) Charge every new (and current?) member $1 US before they can start a thread / post.

This is a one time only fee. And it's only a buck!

04) Organise snail mail payments or bank deposits (i.e. increase the number of ways people can donate.)

This is for people who can't or will not make an online payment.

05) Start a VB (and/or C / C++ / Web design etc etc) consultancy group.

06) Start a VBForums programming training school.

07) Set up a VBForums telephone hotline that gives immediate answers to people's VB / computing problems.

You make the money from time charged / pay by the minute telephone calls.

08) Start a PDA / Mobile phone application development company.

09) Start a VBForums accreditation program.

10) Organise a VBForums party (yay!) for VBForums members.

A fundraising activity (e.g. People pay $20 to enter).

11) Organise a VB coding competition.

For example, $50 to enter.

12) Ask companies to make a contribution (e.g. $1000).

E.g. For every $1000 they get 10 hours of a programmer's time and maybe some advertising on this web site.

13) Organise an 'Ebayathon' where each member sells something on Ebay.

If they make money (e.g. over $20) and pass it on to Ana or VBForums, they get a little golden star next to their Avatar / name.

14) Write a VBForums VB e-book (for all us non-programmers and/or for more experienced programmers).

Like the software example (above) you release a newer / updated version of the book when you reach a certain target.

15) Write a VB program that teaches VB interactively.

16) Ask Bill Gates (i.e. The B&M Gates Foundation) for some cash.

Seriously... After all, you guys are keeping VB popular. Linux isn't going away and there's already a Linux version of VB (i.e. Gambas.) Maybe do this via a petition, or, more 'formally.'

17) Set up a house/island in Second Life and charge people to get in and ask questions.

18) Develop a gambling game like the one in 'Second Life' (similar to Kino if I remember correctly).

19) Set up other VB / Programming forum web sites with different structures (e.g. subscription based, lots of advertising, pay to get points (just like the Universities) etc etc). In other words, create a monopoly and capitalise on it.

20) Start up a programmer's version of Myspace.

Some of those ideas are pretty out there, especially when you read them for the first time. But, you know, where there's a will there's a way.

Good luck.
    Jesus Mary and Joseph.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

Not quite the Holy Trinity...

Hyperactive Member

I would love to contribute but i dont have the money to give, i lost my gran to cancer about 8 months ago, i think some of Arty2000 ideas are worth a shot also.

all the best

lee
    If a post has been usefull then Rate it!

I wonder how many charact

.....l
    01) Have Juniper Media donate $30,000 as a tax write off.

Hyperactive Member

What a truly terrible ordeal to go through. My prayers go out to Pete, Ana and his family and I hope her treatment goes smoothly.

Being a student my cash reserves are limited but I've donated $200 and I'll make sure to do so again when my student loan kicks in next month. I'm also going to contact a few website owners and should be able to get some front page announcements to help further the cause.

All the best,
    Rob Jenks
    Last edited by Parallax; Feb 11th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar

For **** sake?! I do not want to sound ungrateful, but we've all lost people to cancer.

Where were you all when my grandfather was dying of cancer?
    Where were you all when two of 1 month old brothers died of cot death?

Every one of us has lost people or is in the process of losing people. I'm very sorry that one particular Jupitermedia employee is losing a loved one - but so have us all!
    So where's the global fund for the majority of people reading this thread - not the minor percentage of which are students with too much money to spend - but the rest of us trying to earn an honest wage with a loved one in bed dying?

[edit]
    fixed a typo - added a missin 'n'
    [/edit]
    Last edited by plenderj; Feb 12th, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

Hyperactive Member

Students with too much money? $200 is every last drop of my student loan and would pay for over two months worth of food. I'm now in my overdraft and am officially bankrupt until the first of April. Think before you speak.

Of course there's a lot of suffering out there, and it happens to a lot of people, but to borrow a phrase the presence of a greater ill does not diminish the impact of the lesser. When (or possibly 'if') you donate money to charity you don't expect every other charitable organisation to come around complaining that they deserve money too do you? You have to pick your battles and I believe Pete and his family need help supporting Ana through such a difficult time.

If your contribution is going to be nothing more than angry outbursts then I suggest you don't bother at all. Just concentrate on looking after number one.
    "Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot"

For **** sake?!
    Hmmm, someone sounds angry

I do not want to sound ungrateful,
    Then why did you bother posting?

but we've all lost people to cancer.
    Do you always make such huge assumptions? I haven't "lost people to cancer" and maybe I never will.

Where were you all when my grandfather was dying of cancer? Where were you all when two of 1 month old brothers died of cot death?
    I'm positive that at least one other person helped you in terms of your grandfather and brothers, regardless of whether you asked for it or not (e.g. nurses, doctors, relatives, friends.) The point is, additional help was available to you, it's just that you didn't create an effective environment / structure for others to assist you (e.g. set up a web site or lobby your local politician). And this causes you to still be angry. So, to answer your question "Where were you…" We were where you didn't look.

Every one of us has lost people or is in the process of losing people. I'm very sorry that one particular Jupitermedia employee is losing a loved one - but so have us all!
    If you were "very sorry", then you would have at least provided some constructive information / help for Ana and possibly others that are in need (as opposed to your somewhat pointless post.)

So where's the global fund for the majority of people reading this thread
    You're not the smartest cookie in the jar, are you? There are plenty of global funds (e.g. Red Cross, Amnesty International etc).

- not the minor percentage of which are students with too much money to spend -
    Another two assumptions... Tedious stuff, but certainly not surprising, coming from you

but the rest of us trying to ear an honest wage with a loved one in bed dying?
    "ear an honest wage"?

Did... Did you just say - Oh, that's gold!

Here's a tip for you, when you type something you might want to check it for errors and also reflect on the impact those words will have. This will often reduce the chances of you looking like a fool. Not that you are of course, but you seem to be very close.

Oh, and if you’re still upset about the situation regarding death and the lack of support (from your perspective)… Why don’t you do something about it?

Don’t bother replying… I already know the answer
    Last edited by Arty2000; Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

You're missing the point. Not of all of us work for corporations that run large networks of websites that we can utilise to ask people for donations. Most people don't have that chance; he is merely pointing out the injustice of that fact - and I have to say, all things considered, I do agree with him. I'm afraid you're the one that looks like a fool for trying to dissect his post like a lawyer (and picking on his typing mistake... honestly).

The point is, additional help was available to you, it's just that you didn't create an effective environment / structure for others to assist you (e.g. set up a web site or lobby your local politician).
    And how would you know that? You're the one making assumptions: doing what you're trying to slate him for.

You're not the smartest cookie in the jar, are you? There are plenty of global funds (e.g. Red Cross, Amnesty International etc).
    Yeah, and they're going to pay all of the medical expenses of everyone in the world that is ill? What a ridiculous load of nonsense.

We're all sorry to hear that someone is ill. But really, show some common sense.

I think if I had a child who were dying and worked for a large corporation that run large networks of websites, I would utilise them too. Doing anything for your family and moreover your offspring is simply part of human nature
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Well that sure is an interesting response Penagate

You know, the title of the thread says - "Please Help Us To Save Ana"

It doesn't say - "Please Use This As A Soapbox If You've Got Issues With The Way The World Works."

I firmly believe that, in terms of this thread, if you're writing something and it doesn't help Ana...

Then don't bother posting.

So, Penagate, why don't you reply by sending this thread a list of 20 things we can do to help Ana.

Do you accept the challenge?

I know you can do it

Just make sure they're different to mine!

Cheers.

Looks like someone's too busy to accept challenges

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=452461

21) Start an ad campaign in a particular newspaper (hopefully one with readers that are in a medium to high-income bracket)

Something similar to the "Spread Firefox" campaign.

22) Design 'Ana' stickers.

Sell the stickers, or just make them freely available, so that people can print them at home and then get them out into a public environment.

23) Build a “unique” computer and auction it on Ebay.

The person in the link below built a laptop using a Commodore 64 (very cool).

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/12...ew_commod.html

24) Hire a plane to drop leaflets on a town or write 'oneana' or 'oneana.com' in the sky.

The leaflets thing (i.e. the legal issues) might make it a bit risky... But it could work

25) Get a famous person (e.g. athlete, actor) to go and visit Ana and then get them to donate some money.

Get the media involved in this one, big time!

26) Get someone from VBForums to go on a community radio station / web site to increase the awareness of the whole situation.

27) Make a CD.

Call it "The Worst Charity Album Ever Made" or some other name that catches the public's eye and sell it on one of the music download web sites. VBForums' members will write the music / lyrics and provide the vocals / original vocal samples etc.

28) Make something that people can eat.

And then sell it, just like Paul Newman did with his charity sauce products.

29) Buy, rent (or simply put?) a sign next to a busy highway with the web site on it.

30) Make a cake, sell it in your place of employment etc, then donate the money and/or profits.

31) Create gifs / jpgs / images etc that people can put on their web sites, so that they can link to the "oneana" web site.

32) Stand in front of television crews, with signs that promote the web site.

33) Make a movie (comedy, drama etc).

The people who made “Blair Witch” got approximately $4m (the distributor made lots more)... And they didn't spend a lot of money making it ($25k)!

34) Produce a 5 min routine / mp3 (e.g. comedy) every week and get radio stations to buy it and play it on a particular show.

There are a few jokers on this forum and they've often got original material

35) Produce a "limited edition" product (e.g. "100 Classic VB Applications") and sell them as a collectable item.

These can be sold at a premium for a reasonably low cost.

36) Hold a "VBForums Live!" event.

Q&A, jokes, guest speaker, dinner etc.

37) Start a web site (e.g. "ihelpedana.com") get people on the street to donate, if they do, put a photo of them on the web site.

38) Start a web site, get people to display 'oneana.com' signs in places around the world (especially at big events - football, Olympics etc.) The best one might get a prize (e.g. $100 gift voucher) and / or their name on the front of the web site.

An Aussie radio station has done this (and I'm sure others have too) and it generated a very good result.

39) Get companies (e.g. The Body Shop) to put worthwhile web sites on the products they sell. The first one would be “oneana.com”.

40) Rent-A-Slave

A charity thing. Get someone (or some people) from VBForums to be someone's slave for the day!

I highly recommend -

Well, let's just say their "names" start with the letter "P"

Good bye and good luck.

Fanatic Member

This thread shouldn't be a sticky anymore, if so many people want to help out Ana, it'll stick by itself.

A girl I went to school with was paralized in a car reck. To help pay for bills, the family and school held a special day for her on Saturday, and raised 25K! That's in one day and I think many small business owners were there to help.

Not many people would be willing to setup an online donation site like what's in this thread, but I hope it's not all their doing (and generally think it's not).

A better option would be contact some charity agencies that may foot the bills, I am sure there would be many such organisations around, you may also talk to your employer and see what options you have.

bye
    aa

Tell me how to donate.
    But I can't use Paypal or Credit card.
    Since I'm 17 years old my self..
    And how is she now? :?

506C65617365205261746520506F7374732E2E2E

Banned

who is ana?

does she has a bugs on it?????????
    Last edited by chriszuk; Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:10 AM.

Read the First post Man..

Red face Re: Please Help Us To Save Ana

@Iron Skull: I am in the exact situation to yourself, but she was eleven years old at the start of the thread you can tell old she is now. Cmon you do the maths
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

21) Start an ad campaign in a particular newspaper (hopefully one with readers that are in a medium to high-income bracket)

Something similar to the "Spread Firefox" campaign.

22) Design 'Ana' stickers.

Sell the stickers, or just make them freely available, so that people can print them at home and then get them out into a public environment.

23) Build a “unique” computer and auction it on Ebay.

40) Rent-A-Slave
    Many of those things would cost more to execute than they would return in funds.
    I don't live here any more.

Quote Originally Posted by singularis
    @Iron Skull: I am in the exact situation to yourself, but she was eleven years old at the start of the thread you can tell old she is now. Cmon you do the maths

Dude I meant how is she?
    Not HOW old is she..

Dude I meant how is she?
    Not HOW old is she..
    Ok, point taken
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Hyperactive Member

No news since March I pray all is well?
    TMacPherson
    MIS Systems Engineer
    t_macpherson@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast