Thread: Vista Development?

Addicted Member

Vista Development?

I was wondering if anyone knew what developing for Vista is going be like, considering Vista is geared more for developers and gamers. Is it going to be based on .NET like I have heard so much? Or will it be entirely new?

Anyone got any articles or comments that could help answer my questions? Thanks...

Re: Vista Development?

Development will be the same for the most part.

Remember, it's a new version of Windows. It's not going to be instantly better for development as it doesn't include any developers tools.

Vista is not based in .Net. Originally, many applications like Explorer were going to be written in .Net but before of performance issues and time constraints, Microsoft decided to keep it the apps with their current code base.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

There are like five versions of Vista, and trust me, develop your apps so they work in Vista since alot of current programs don't. You should still be able to download Microsoft Vista Ultimate Edition Beta 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/default.aspx or you can order the DVD for seven dollars. Since it turned my computer to crap, I suggest installing it in Virtual Server 2005 => http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx
    PHP in your FACE!

Oh ya, keep in mind that the file system is different in Vista. For example,

C:\Documents And Settings\Datacide\My Documents
    is now
    C:\Users\Datacide\Documents

and

C:\Documents And Settings\Datacide\My Documents\My Pictures
    is now
    C:\Users\Datacide\Pictures

...among other things. So ya, be prepared by getting the Beta.
    PHP in your FACE!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Vista will come with the 3.0 Framework (which is Framework 2.0 plus a bit more added, and renamed thanks to the utter stupidity of a group of developers whose existence I had never thought possible).

You can start by coding for the 2.0 Framework.