Thread: [RESOLVED] Mscomm input

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Mscomm input

I have a board that outputs a 8bit binary value (0-255) what do i need to put into my program to have it read the input and put it in a text box?

I have this:

Private Sub MSComm1_OnComm()
    Dim strData As String
    Select Case MSComm1.CommEvent
    Case comEvReceive
    strData = MSComm1.Input
    Text1.Text = strData
    End Select
    End Sub

But would i need to adjust the mscomm settings?

PowerPoster

Re: Mscomm input

depends on the setting of the board, if in doubt set them so they match the setting of the board
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Lively Member

what about the rthreshold, inputlen, inputmode settings? and what should i expect to see in the textbox? i would like a number 0-255, but all i can get so far is a symbol or a letter once in a while?

PowerPoster

you also need the settings for parity, number of bits etc (n,8,1 or whatever the correct settings are) and make sure you are working with the correct com port
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Maybe something in this thread will point you in the right direction...

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...68#post2124168...
    David

Learn the Rules so that you know how to break them properly.

Printing dll dBTools MZTools Winsock API WinsockVB More Winsock SGrid2 MSChart Mail2Web

If you have found this thread useful then read this

Lively Member

I have:
    Dim strData As String
    Select Case MSComm1.CommEvent 'incoming data
    Case comEvReceive
    strData = MSComm1.Input
    Text1.Text = strData
    End Select

End Sub

Lively Member

I have:
    with 11500,n,8,1
    rthresh=0 inputlength=0
    cominputmode= binary
    Dim strData As String
    Select Case MSComm1.CommEvent 'incoming data
    Case comEvReceive
    strData = MSComm1.Input
    Text1.Text = strData
    End Select

End Sub
    but i get nothing in my text box?
    if i use hyperterminal with the same 11500,n,8,1 i get stuff back?

Your speed setting should be 115,000 bps not 11500. Check for typo's in your code. Also set ...

.RThreshold = 1
    .InputLen = 0
    .RTSEnable = True ' If you are using hardware handshaking
    .PortOpen = True ' It's obvious I know - but if you have missed it !!!!
    David

Printing dll dBTools MZTools Winsock API WinsockVB More Winsock SGrid2 MSChart Mail2Web

Lively Member

i had the spped right, i just missed the 0 in the post, i have tried all of those things

PowerPoster

no one else has the same board, so it is not possible to test for you, i don't even have a com port on this computer
    are you putting the string into the textbox before it has all arrived?
    see this thread here http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ghlight=mscomm and someother links from that thread

pete

Do you have to poll your test board before it sends or is it streaming?
    David

Lively Member

I poll it by sending "VA" & vbcr , and that is to read input A voltage, i can send it trough hyperterminal and it responds fine

So are you sending the command

frmComms.MSComm1.Output = "VA" & vbCRLF

somewhere in your code, in say a 200msec loop, to initiate the comms from your target board?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by mystorchid
    I poll it by sending "VA" & vbcr , and that is to read input A voltage, i can send it trough hyperterminal and it responds fine
    What is the return (with Hyperterminal) when you send that?
    <--- Did someone help you? Please rate their post. The little green squares make us feel really smart!
    If topic has been resolved, please pull down the Thread Tools & mark it Resolved.

Is VB consuming your life, and is that a bad thing??

Lively Member

I send:
    Private Sub Command2_Click()
    MSComm1.Output = "VA" & vbCr
    End Sub

and i get letter or character back in hyperterminal. the board is supposed to output a binary value between 0-255 (8bit) , do i have to write the code for vb to make the conversion from binary to ascii from the recieve buffer?

I send:
    MSComm1.Output = "VA" & vbCr
    End Sub

and i get letter or character back in hyperterminal. the board is supposed to output a binary value between 0-255 (8bit) , do i have to write the code for vb to make the conversion from binary to ascii from the recieve buffer?
    Which is it? A binary value 0 to 255 or ASCII? Your reply implies both. MSComm can't receive both Binary (Byte data) and ASCII chars simultaneously. I can help you with either but I must know which.
    <--- Did someone help you? Please rate their post. The little green squares make us feel really smart!
    If topic has been resolved, please pull down the Thread Tools & mark it Resolved.

Lively Member

the board sends a Binary 0-255 8bit responce to the pc,, I want ascii in my textbox.

the board sends a Binary 0-255 8bit responce to the pc,, I want ascii in my textbox.
    OK, we can work with that. Here are some MSComm rules to follow. If you want to Input Binary (Byte) data and display it as ASCII in a TextBox then do not use MSComm1.InputMode = comInputModeBinary. Binary mode is useful for displaying the Decimal value of the Byte data only. In Binary Mode, (which is only applicable to the Input property, not the Output property) embedded control characters are not stripped off the Input stream. All data Cr,Lf,EOF,tab etc are returned as their Decimal equivalent. Unfortunately setting Input Mode to binary doesn't return the decimal values on it's own. That data has to also be put in a Variant, passed to a Byte array and manipulated with conversion functions.

The code below should input your Byte data from your Microcontroller and display it in Text1 as ASCII characters.

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
       MSComm1.InputMode = comInputModeText   ' This is default
    End Sub

Dim BytesReceived() As Byte            ' Undemensioned (Dynamic) array
       Dim InBuffer                                  'Variant
          If MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvReceive Then
             InBuffer = MSComm1.Input         ' Pass the Input data to the InBuffer
             BytesReceived() = InBuffer       ' Pass the Byte data to the Byte array
             Text1.Text = BytesReceived()     ' Display ASCII in Text1
          End If
    End Sub

Lively Member

I get a odd character back like a "y" with a comma above it, but not a number like I m looking for

Assuming that you get a single 0-255 binary value representing a voltage, to display the number in the text box you need to do ....

Text1.Text = Asc(BytesReceived(0))

As you should only get one character back you ignore anything else that is in the buffer.
    David

I get a odd character back like a "y" with a comma above it, but not a number like I m looking for
    I asked you repeatedly whether you wanted to input this data as ASCII text or Decimal numbers. You finally said ASCII! Now you say you want numbers! If your microntroller happens to send a none printable control character then you will see funny looking ASCII like you're describing. What will be displayed will be subject to the Font that you're using. Control Char display (as ASCII)are subject to your font.
    One more time... Do you want the input decoded and displayed as decimal numbers or don't you?
    Last edited by CDRIVE; Oct 10th, 2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Removal of obnoxious font

I wrote this demo that inputs data as Binary for someone else. It is intended to be used with a Loopback tester or a Nullmodem. If you use a Nullmodem then two MSComm Controls must be used and the Input port must be changed to something other than the Output port. You could also just extract the Input code alone and use it to test your controller. All MSComm properties are left at their default values. As is, this demo needs 1 TextBox, 2CommandButtons, 2 Labels, 1 CommControl and a Timer.

This demo converts the Byte values to its Decimal equivalent and displays it in Text1. Label1 shows you what's in the InBuffer and is updated every 500mS in the Timer event. Label2 displays CommEvents and when they fire. As you will see in the Else statement in the CommEvent procedure OnComm fires when ANY change at the port occurs subsequent to the PortOpen command. In this case the DTR line defaults to True in Properties. This is why it fires when the PortOpen command is executed. It isn't firing because the port was opened. It's up to the programmer to sift through what the events are. The only defined event that I wrote was the comEvEOF.

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
       MSComm1.InputMode = comInputModeBinary
       MSComm1.EOFEnable = True
       Command1.Caption = "Output Data"
       Command2.Caption = "Input Data"
       Label2.Caption = "CommEvents"
       Text1.FontName = "Garamond"               ' I chose this font because it's
       Text1.FontBold = True                     ' easier to distinguish between
       Text1.FontSize = 18                       ' a 1 and an l (lower case L)
       Timer1.Interval = 500
    End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
       Dim BytesToSend(4) As Byte            ' Dimensioned to 5 Bytes
       Dim OutBuffer

BytesToSend(0) = &H49                 ' = Char 'I' & Decimal '73'
       BytesToSend(1) = &H23                 ' = Char '#' & Decimal '35'
       BytesToSend(2) = &H4A                 ' = Char 'J' & Decimal '74'
       BytesToSend(3) = &H4B                 ' = Char 'K' & Decimal '75'
       BytesToSend(4) = &H1A                 ' = EOF Char:  Decimal '26'
    ' Bytes are outputted in the order of there Index Number(Index)!
       MSComm1.PortOpen = True
       OutBuffer = BytesToSend()
          MSComm1.Output = OutBuffer
             Command1.Enabled = False
          Command2.Enabled = True
       Text1.Text = ""

End Sub

Dim InBuffer
       Dim DimensionedByteArray(7) As Byte            ' Can handle up to 8 Bytes
       Dim intCount As Integer
       Dim intDecimal As Integer
          Text1.Text = ""
          InBuffer = MSComm1.Input

On Error GoTo ErrTrap
          For intCount = 0 To (LenB(InBuffer) - 1)
    '       For intCount = 0 To (LenB(InBuffer))
             DimensionedByteArray(intCount) = CByte(InBuffer(intCount))
             intDecimal = DimensionedByteArray(intCount)
             Text1.Text = Text1.Text & " " & intDecimal  ' Display as decimal number
          Next intCount
             Debug.Print TypeName(intDecimal)
          If MSComm1.PortOpen = True Then MSComm1.PortOpen = False
             Command1.Enabled = True
             Command2.Enabled = False
       Exit Sub
    ErrTrap:
       If Err.Number = (13) Then
          Text1.Text = "Error 13 (Type Mismatch)"
          Err.Clear
       End If
          If MSComm1.PortOpen = True Then MSComm1.PortOpen = False
          Command1.Enabled = True
          Command2.Enabled = False
    End Sub

If MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvEOF Then
          Label2.Caption = "EOF Character Found!"
       Else
          Label2.Caption = "An OnComm Event Fired!."
       End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
       Label1.Caption = "InbufferCount = " & MSComm1.InBufferCount & " Bytes"
    End Sub
    Last edited by CDRIVE; Nov 10th, 2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added additional info

Lively Member

Maybe I miss understood, Last time I checked ASCII included the numbers of the english language, and binary was only 1's and 0's, the board sends binary readings, I want REAL english numbers in my text box ex. 1,10,99,153 is that clear enough

Maybe I miss understood, Last time I checked ASCII included the numbers of the english language, and binary was only 1's and 0's, the board sends binary readings, I want REAL english numbers in my text box ex. 1,10,99,153 is that clear enough
    Sorry that I barked at you. The problem is, is that we don't want MSComm or VB to regard the Microcontroller output data as ASCII. We want to Input it as Binary (Byte) data and to be treated as an Integer when were done processing it. When using MSComm Binary data is declared and treated as Byte data .. passed to a Byte Array. Same thing goes for Outputing Byte data. Even one Byte must be declared as an Array.
    I modified the demo that I posted earlier so you should be able to just copy and paste this as is. RThreshold is set to fire when the InBuffer has 8 Bytes in it. Just add your MSComm1.Settings(). If you have any problems I'll do my best to help.
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
       MSComm1.CommPort = 1
       mscomm1.Settings = (Your Settings)
       MSComm1.RThreshold = 8
       MSComm1.InputMode = comInputModeBinary
       MSComm1.PortOpen = True
    End Sub

If MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvReceive Then
          Dim InBuffer
          Dim DimensionedByteArray(7) As Byte            ' Can handle up to 8 Bytes
          Dim intCount As Integer
          Dim intDecimal As Integer
          InBuffer = MSComm1.Input

For intCount = 0 To (LenB(InBuffer) - 1)
                DimensionedByteArray(intCount) = CByte(InBuffer(intCount))
                intDecimal = DimensionedByteArray(intCount)
                Text1.Text = Text1.Text & " " & intDecimal    ' Display Decimal number
             Next intCount
                Debug.Print TypeName(intDecimal)    ' Confirm InBuffer data is Integer
       End If
    End Sub
    Last edited by CDRIVE; Nov 11th, 2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Remove Rem (') from MSComm1.Settings( )

Lively Member

Smile Re: Mscomm input

Great, it works, thanks for your help

Great, it works, thanks for your help
    You're more than welcome and once again I'm truly sorry for being impatient and short with you. There are few MSComm users and even less Microcontroller Techies on the forum. I should be elated when one posts!

Re: [RESOLVED] Mscomm input

Hello , i am new to VB 6.0 and the code i am working on works on sigle data type and i am using serial communication that send me ascii numbers and i need to convert the ascii to single. The Code is :

Private Sub WithoutGE_Click()
    Dim serialflag As Boolean
    Dim serportname As String

If MSComm1.PortOpen Then
    MSComm1.PortOpen = False
    End If

MSComm1.CommPort = 5 'Defined COM port available on PC
    MSComm1.InputLen = 1
    MSComm1.Settings = "115200, N, 8, 1"
    MSComm1.PortOpen = True

End Sub

Private Sub MSComm1_OnComm() 'on serial event

If (MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvReceive) Then ' if something received
    'serialData = MSComm1.Input shows me data type is byte i have mismatch error
    'serialdata is variant error is not observed

serialByteData = MSComm1.Input
    End If
    End Sub

What should i do need help . Ascii to Byte and Byte to single ! but how !???

i get ascii character when i use the code ! but i need single data type !

You should post your own topic. It's not polite to hijack someone else's thread, especially when it's marked resolved.