Thread: Jr .net developer salary

Question Jr .net developer salary

I went for an interview. it was for a permanent FT entry level .net developer Position with 1+ yrs experience in princeton NJ. I put 50k in desired salary. I got the offer. they agreed to pay me 50k. my friend told me that you should have asked for 60k. thats the range for .net developer. now i am confused that i made a mistake. its a mid size company. can anyone tell me what should i do now?. is there anyway to ask for more now or its too late? is 50k less for a 1 yr experience vb.net, asp.net developer?

Re: Jr .net developer salary

I seriously doubt that they'd meet your request, then let you negotiate a higher salary right from the start unless they are seriously interested in you (and have no other qualified applicants).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I agree with Shaggy. If I hired someone and they agreed on a salary, then came back and tried to renegotiate I would first say no. If they persisted to any degree, I would renegotiate them out the door and find someone else.
    just my 2 cents
    kevin
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

There are several web sites out there that do salary surveys for different fields in different areas. You can look at them to see what everyone else is earning.

Work hard your first year and then use this information when your first review comes up to try to argue for a raise. If they are happy with your work at that point then you will be in a better negotiating position.

Don't get greedy and remember that an extra 10k this year means nothing over the lifetime of your career. Right now I think you need the experience more than the money and 50k is a pretty good salary for an essentially entry-level position.

Pardon my curiousity here, but do you have a 2 or 4 year degree, or any certifications?
    Using Framework 2.0, VB.Net 2005.

It sounds like you were confortable with the 50k until your friend told you otherwise. I would be proud that I landed the job and go celebrate and leave the greed at the door. Also, if this is your experience level, your getting paid to learn at any price it a great deal.

Congratulations on your new job.

Frankly, if anyone asks you your salary again, you should say, "why do you ask?"

It is really no one's business.

I used to sell cars. We used to have a saying, "if you think you got a good deal, you did."

People can and will always tell you should have done this or that. They're not you. Next job or promotion, keep your salary a secret, and follow the advice of Mouer.

You have to earn a raise before you get it anyway. Congratulations.
    Christine Lee
    VB '05 Newbie
    Anything but ordinary
    ------------------------------
    Newbie: VB '05 Express Videos:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ex...g/default.aspx
    My Space! My family!
    http://www.myspace.com/christineeve

I think you need to weight what you really have before you can question how much YOU are worth...

1. Recent College Graduate?
    2. 1 Year Experience in .NET?

If you answer "Yes" to either or both of these I believe you have landed a pretty decent deal considering that you have only been programming in .NET for a year which means there are still things you don't know, and you have areas for improvement. Or you are a recent graduate an have not yet seen the business world and still have things to learn.

Personally you should be happy with 50K a year, think of it this way your getting paid to learn for a chance.

C# - .NET 1.1 / .NET 2.0

"Take everything I say with a grain of salt, sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong but in the end we've both learned something."
    Database FAQ & Tutorial

Banned

50k intro isn't bad. I was making 26.9k when I got my first entry level programming job (back in 02).

While it is important to have a good starting salary; it's not something you can renegotiate.

Alot of larger companies place set incriments on what your manager can give you for a raise. For instance, my last job couldn't bump you up more then 5% a year unless my boss wrote up a whole report saying why I deserve more. Even then, it only would jump to 8%. Anything beyond that is unheard of (it's possible, but that would mean my boss' boss would have to be so blown away by their report that they would have to pass the report along to the next level). When you start low, you stay low. It's the single reason why I had to leave that company.

In the future, always say "salary negotiable" if you have to place it on an application. Don't be afraid to talk to these people about it in the interview (they will bring it up if you write "negotiable"). And deffinitely don't be afraid to oversell yourself. That doesn't mean lie. It just means that it's easier to undersell yourself in an interview than oversell. If you aim high, you should hit the mark.

And congrats

Quote Originally Posted by neha101
    now i am confused that i made a mistake. its a mid size company. can anyone tell me what should i do now?. is there anyway to ask for more now or its too late?
    You're kidding, right? I am receiving my 2 year degree in a few weeks and going for my 4 year degree, I have been programming with VB.Net, C# and even C++ for over 3 years now. I can't even get an INTERVIEW for any entry level .Net development positions.

Don't be greedy; enjoy it and contrats.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kasracer
    You're kidding, right? I am receiving my 2 year degree in a few weeks and going for my 4 year degree, I have been programming with VB.Net, C# and even C++ for over 3 years now. I can't even get an INTERVIEW for any entry level .Net development positions.

Don't be greedy; enjoy it and contrats.
    Use a headhunter.

They've called me 3x this month asking if I am "currently satisfied with my career." They can get you some pretty nice jobs too. Just be sure to leave them at the door after you get the interview. I got a job through one and the headhunter who was representing me insisted he should be the one to negotiate my salary. I was all kinds of pissed and did it myself.

On dice.com there is a salary wizard that can tell you the trends in your area for different types of jobs/experience.

Sounds to me that your basically straight out of college and minimal paid professional experience. With this in mind, you got a good deal as others have posted. Your first job is all about gaining the real world working experience which is more valuable then school but not a replacement.

After 2 years or more it will be time to change jobs if they dont give decent raises. When you switch you will probably get a big boost in pay and more experience.

Congrats
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhalo
    Use a headhunter.

They've called me 3x this month asking if I am "currently satisfied with my career." They can get you some pretty nice jobs too. Just be sure to leave them at the door after you get the interview. I got a job through one and the headhunter who was representing me insisted he should be the one to negotiate my salary. I was all kinds of pissed and did it myself.
    Thanks but I'm fine. I got an internship working as a web developer which may turn into a full time position. Either way I'm getting some great experience and I love the place (Polk Audio)
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

The majority of jobs are usually entered in by way of a temp agancy or headhunter. They negotiate the salary with the employeer and take a cut of the pay. I hate this as they are in control of the pay and taking part of it.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Banned

You can cut them out of negotiations; I've done it. They still take their share, but at a certain point.. They do just get in the way. The job I'm at, he gave them my resume the day of my interview. Until then, it was just him reading it to them. Luckily, they gave me the job on the spot (I'm charismatic like that ) and I was able to handle the rest. He wasn't happy that I did that, but then I told him how much I negotiated and his attitude switched back to "buddy mode."

Just another note to add onto robdogg's comment. They don't take a percentage of "your salary," the employer has to pay that percentage. Say you got signed on for 50k a year. You still get the full 50k, but the employer also has to pay the headhunter whatever percentage they negotiated on top of that. It's a one time payment.

Correct and good point on adding it. Also, there usually is a term that you need to complete which makes for the headhunter able to collect their full compensation. If they get that 10k its over a period of time. After that time, if its a contract to hire position, you can get hired directly with the employeer for usually what the original pay was - 60k. so instead of the employeer paying the headhunter that 10k they pay it to you and they are not experiencing any increase in expense as its the same total expense theyu originally were paying.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

A Junior .Net developer salary of 50K was really good, especially, if you consider that you were still junior.
    But if to speak only about salaries, it is different in every country. If you take Ukraine, a Junior .Net developer salary would be $430-$900 monthly, that is up to 2 years of experience, where in the US the same developer would get about $4.5K - $6K monthly.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Jun 24th, 2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary link

This thread is 11 years old, but it's a topic that is always relevant, so I'll add something:

In the US, the pay depends largely on the location. Some places are so expensive that six figures barely makes it, while others are really cheap.

You don't want to know.

Yeah I wanted to say (before I realized how old the thread was) that US salary can vary wildly by region both because of cost of living and competitiveness.

In rural Mississippi, I think even as a senior dev I might struggle to find a position that pays more than $50k. There aren't a lot of those jobs, and you don't really need a lot of money to live there.

In Austin, Texas, if you aren't making $70k you aren't buying groceries and you've got a 30+ minute commute. The "range" here is supposed to start at $90k. But those aren't the "family friendly" jobs, if you catch my meaning.

Making $70k in Austin is about the same as making $40k in Mississippi, though, so it's not an even balance.

If you are job hunting, you should do some research and make some friends and find out what people in your position are making, then ask for something around that number with adjustments for how good you think you are. I've heard that psychologically speaking, making a higher offer, even an obvious joke like "one billion dollars", tends to influence your final offer a bit higher.

I don't buy into "you shouldn't tell others your salary" unless you have a corporate policy that will punish you for it. Hidden salaries benefit corporations and sleazy individuals. It lets someone pay this senior dev 40% less because he's too timid to ask for a raise, even if he does twice the work of the jerk no one likes that's making more. If salaries are fair, you won't get jealous if you hear you're making less than a coworker, because you'll be able to cite all the extra work they do.

For example, I knew one guy at a previous job made a couple notches higher on the pay scale than me, and he got a promotion earlier. He also worked about 70 hours a week, he liked it. I don't think it'd be fair for me to expect to make a much given I don't tend to put in more than about 50 hours unless there's a serious disaster. That was also a message to me, as more people like him entered the company: "This is what it takes to be 'average', you're going to have to keep up." That made me take some serious thoughts.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

My salary, accurate to the penny, is publicly available on the web. Oddly, I'm not actually sure what it is, myself, so I'd have to look it up to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    This thread is 11 years old, but it's a topic that is always relevant, so I'll add something:

In the US, the pay depends largely on the location. Some places are so expensive that six figures barely makes it, while others are really cheap.
    I about fell over in a daze at the age of this thread. I would have been turning 7 years old later that fall. Lord. Where does time go?

Anyways, Shaggy is right location is key. I am in the midwest I live in the same state as one of the site admins. But I live in a rural town. So trying to find a on location job isn't ideal for me.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.