PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
dial using modem fax-VBForums

Thread: dial using modem fax

Fanatic Member

Lightbulb dial using modem fax

hey,

I've an mdb database with vba code and would to dial the customer number upon clicking on their phone number.

what are the options for dialing using vba and a modem/ fax card?

Fanatic Member

Re: dial using modem fax

anyone?

Frenzied Member

bambo:

I am not sure how you do it in VBA, but this is how I do it in VB 6.0.
    Maybe you can modify this somewhat to work for you.
    First I add an MSCOMM object to the form and name it comOne. Then I add the following code to the DblClick event of the text box that contains the phone number.
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub txtPhone_DblClick()
    2.     Dim strA As String
    3.     strA = txtPhone.Text
    4.     If strA = "" Then
    5.         MsgBox "Mark and copy a number first."
    6.         Exit Sub
    7.     End If
    8.     comOne.CommPort = 3
    9.     comOne.Settings = "9600,N,8,1"
    10.     comOne.PortOpen = True
    11.     comOne.Output = "ATDT" & strA & vbCr
    12.     MsgBox "Dialing " & strA & vbCrLf & "Pickup the phone"
    13.         comOne.PortOpen = False  
    14. End Sub
    In the code you have to set comOne.CommPort = to whatever com port you are going to use.

I don't know if VBA can reference an MSCOMM object or not.

Hope this helps you.

Good Luck

Fanatic Member

thank you for the code and sorry for the late response

When I run the code it works ok and I get the message box but the modem is not dialing at all.

Frenzied Member

bambo:

"When I run the code it works ok and I get the message box but the modem is not dialing at all."

Sounds to me like the modem is not getting activated.
    You need to check and see which com port your modem is using.
    Then you will need to change this code accordingly:
    comOne.CommPort = 3

Is your modem using Comm Port 3? Change this number to whatever comm port your modem is using.

You may also have to change this code to whatever is appropriate for your modem:
    comOne.Settings = "9600,N,8,1"
    AND:
    comOne.Output = "ATDT" & strA & vbCr

I don't really know what else to tell you to try, because I don't know VBA very well, but if the code runs but the modem won't dial then I guess the only thing you can do is to try and make adjustments like I suggested above.

Maybe someone else who knows VBA well will see your posting and can give you a better answer. Sorry it didn't work.

Good Luck

Fanatic Member

1. I change the port to the modem port but now I get runtime error 8012 - the device is not open.

2. how can I check for the right comone.settings of my modem?

Fanatic Member

I tried your code in VB6 and it still gives me the same error "the device is not open"

Frenzied Member

bambo:

I don't know what operating system you are using, Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, but you should be able to go to Control Panel and click on Modem and obtain the modem setting information.

"I tried your code in VB6 and it still gives me the same error "the device is not open""

I don't know what else I can tell you.

The code above works just fine for me. I have Windows 2000 Pro and I am using Visual Basic 6.0 with SP6 and a Creative Modem Blaster V.92 on Com 3.

I have shared the above code with several other people and as far as I know it worked for them.

Without being able to sit down at your computer and check some settings there isn't much else I can tell you.

I don't know where you are, but I think the code: comOne.Output = "ATDT" & strA & vbCr is for U.S.A. only, so if you are in another country you may need to have different settings there.

NOTE: This will not work if you are already using your phone line for Internet access. If you are on a dial-up internet connection and you are online, your modem will already be in use and this code will not work.

There is probably some modem guru around here that could give you a better solution that I have, but since no one was responding to your posting I thought I would share some code that works for me.

I still think this code will work if you find out what com port your modem is on and use that com port in the code, but I don't know.

Sorry it won't work for you.

Good Luck

Fanatic Member

Thank you for the code and the efforts AIS4U.

This modem issue is turning to be a real problem.

Does anyone here knows what to do?

Fanatic Member

anyone?

bambo:
    I had the similar dilema. Getting a 8012 error from MsComm when I tried to use a '.PortOpen = true'.

I found a reference to MS Fax in some obscure dB post.

I unistalled the Fax service from the WinXP control panel and everything is working fine (no 8012 error).

It appears the WinXp 'holds' a modem of the system, just in case you want to send a fax.

I hope it helps.

Blue Shark

Fanatic Member

Blue Shark:

It's good to know that.

I'm using microsoft fax service (fax console) and would like to be able to dial regardless of using other fax services.

any suggestions?

bambo,
    According to what I have encountered throught Microsofts KB, Google searches and my own experience. The Microsoft Fax Service (Fax Service), will not share the MODEM port, if you have the Fax Service configuration set to automaticly receive.
    Fax Service monitors the MODEM port for incoming faxes. With this being the case, the MODEM port is occupied by the Fax Service.

Here are three possible solutions, albeit, many more solutions are out there;
    1) (Manual) disable the auto answer feature in Fax Service
    2) (Automatic/API) write some code to release and establish (enable/disable) Fax Services.
    3) install an additional MODEM.

Your programs end goal, will probably impact the selection of one of the above items or some other creative alternative.

R/
    Blue Shark

In order to contiune using microsoft fax service (fax console) with other programs. i.e. fax services, I would recomment using the TAPI component.
    TAPI compliant components can share a port with other TAPI compliant components.

MScomm is not TAPi complient. To continue using the MScomm you are going to have to make several calls to the WIndows Fax Service (FAXCOMEXLIB) and the TAPI APIs.

Blue Shark

Fanatic Member

do you any code exmaple for using tapi dialing, or maybe a link?

Fanatic Member

anyone?

Error 8012 - the device is not open
    I fixed it as follows:

In "My Computer" open "Printers and Faxes" which is a sub folder of "Control Panel"

One of the items is FAX with a status of Ready. Right click this item and select Properties
    Click the "devices" tab. It should display your modem's name with send=yes receive=no

If receive is auto or manual error 8012 is generated

Right click the modem name and select "receive" "disable" and then click "Apply". Receive should now be "no". Click OK

Error 8012 was fixed.