Thread: Tutorial: Goto My Pc for FREE

Hybrid View

Tutorial: Goto My Pc for FREE

Services like GotoMyPc, allow you to access your computer securly from any location in the world via a web interface. But, at a price. In this case $17.95 per month. This in my opinion is a little bit costly as I have worked out how to do it for free. And guess what, I am going to be nice and share how to do it and probably get a price put on my life by the guys at GotoMyPc.

Firsty, I'll make it clear what this solution provides. It allows you to access your PC via the Internet through a secure remote connection, you will be able to interact with the PC as if you were sitting at the machine. You must have the computer running while you are accessing it

This setup requires several pieces of software all of which are free and can be downloaded.

FreeSSHD - Allows you to make a secure remote connection to a windows PC and setup SSH tunnels, allowing other services to connect to your PC securely.

Putty - Putty is a Free SSH client for windows. We need this to connect to the SSH server on the remote PC. It will also allow us to transfer files between the two PC's.

VNC - VNC allows you to make a remote desktop connection to a PC, as if you were sitting in front of it. Download the free version.

Setting Up the SSH Server

SSH is an acronym for Secure Shell. It was developed for UNIX to anble administrators to log into a server remotly from anywhere with an internet connection and control it. SSH remains today the remote connection method of choice for UNIX and Linux savys.

FreeSSHD, is an SSH server for Windows. It in effect allows you to connect to your machine via the command line similar to a telnet connection, but, securely. More importantly however and the feature we will be useing, it allows you tunnel connections through SSH to you local computer.

What is Tunneling?
    As the name suggests, it is setting up a tunnel but for connections between machines. Once connected to a mahine via SSH, we can tunnel other connections throgugh the secure SSH connection to the remote PC. To the remote PC, it appears as if the connection has originted locally. To the connecting PC, it appears as if the connection is being made locally.

Why do this? Obviously a remote desktop connection is not something we want everyone to access. The standard VNC connnection is not encrypted. However, send it through an SSH tunnel and the connection is encrypted, secure and password protected.

About 10 Easy(ish) Steps

If you follow these steps you'll have your secure remote desktop connection up and running in less than an hour.
    1. First step is to download and install FreeSSHD. Select the full installation and choose to run as a windows service. (you can opt not to install the service, however freesshd will not start when windows starts and you must logon to the computer before running it)

2. Once installed, a new icon should appear in the task bar. Double click this to bring up the configuration screen.

3. Set the SSH port 443. There is a good reason for this as in many shoools, colleges and companies you must connect to the Internet via a proxy server. Connecting on port 443, the standard HTTPS port, ensures that you will always be able to access the PC.

4. The next step is to create a user. Click on the users section and add a new user.

I Do not recommend using Windows authentication. Creating a separate user is not only safe, it gives you more control over the server. Ensure that the user has tunneling permissions.
    5. We must now enable SSH tunneling.

6. The next step is to download and install VNC. Again, opt for the full installation and install it as a Windows service.

7. After installation the server configuration screen will be displayed. VNC gives us the option of password protecting the connection, but as the password is sent unencrypted and we will only ever be connecting from the local machine, there is little point setting a password.

8. Click on the connections tab next, take note of the VNC port 5900 and tick the box which says "Only Accept Connections from the local machine". The server also provides a Java viewer which can be used in a web browser. I tend to prefer the executable client though.

(you may be wondering why we only want to accept connections form the local machine. This is because we will use an SSH tunnel provided by FreesSSHD to forward the connection to from the remote machine to the local machine, as far as our PC is concerned the connection will be from a local entity)
    9. We are now ready to connect to the computer remotley. But first we need the Windows SSH client Putty. I recommend you downlaod the ZIP archive containing all the Putty tools as they include other useful utilities including an SFTP(Secure-FTP) file tansfer utility.

10. Open up the putty client on the remote computer (the comptuer you want to make the connection from). In the session screen type the IP address or host name of the PC you are connecting to, select SSH and type 443 as the port.

11. Now set up the tunnels for the SSH connection. To do this goto Connection->SSH->Tunnels. Remebmer I said you'd need that port number for VNC. You need two pieces of information, the port and the server your are tunneling to. In our case this is as follows:

localhost:5900
      localhost:5800 (if you want to connect via the Java client in a web browser)

The source port is the port that we will be making the connection to. In most cases these will be the same. However, if the remote PC has a VNC server, you'll need to change these.

12. Now press the open button. Press Open to accept the servers public key and login using the credentials of the user you set up earlier. If all has gonde well you will see a command line prompt similar to what you see on windows.

13. The final step is to make the remote dekstop connection. Now that we have setup the tunnel, you can connect to your remote PC via VNC. The connection will be secure becuase it is going through the secure shell connection which, is encrypted by default.

To connect to a VNC server, you need to open the VNC Viewer. This included in the installation you downlaoded earlier in the follwoign location:

C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\vncviewer.exe

You can safelty copy this executable to a floppy disk or USB driver for use on the go.

You can also connect via a web browser, if you enabled the Java viewer, by navigating to the following address:

http://localhost:5800/

That's it, you should now be able to see your desktop. No expense, secure and not too complicated. As long as both the VNC server and FreeSSHD are running, you can access your PC anywhere.

I recommend you copy the Putty tools and the VNC Viewer to a usb disk or floppy disk. You can them use your setup anywhere you please. I have put these files into a ZIP archive, along with a batch script putty.bat (this saves and restores the putty registry settings - if you wish to save your configuration from the putty window, you'll need to open Putty using putty.bat)

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions regarding this tutorial please post them here.
    Last edited by visualAd; Apr 19th, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Re: Tutorial: Goto My Pc for FREE

Would the following scenario work?

1-FreeSSHD(installed and configured at my home PC)
    2-A newsreader client(installed at my job) reading news while tunneled into my house using port 443
    (and thus bypass a blocked port 119)
    Watch media as you download it! Excellent tool!
    FREE CUBA!
    MyBlog
    If you feel my post has helped, please rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by silentthread
    Would the following scenario work?

1-FreeSSHD(installed and configured at my home PC)
    2-A newsreader client(installed at my job) reading news while tunneled into my house using port 443
    (and thus bypass a blocked port 119)
    Yes, you can tunnel most TCP protocols over SSH including windows file sharing (although very slow). The tool PSCP can also facilitate file transfers between two hosts too.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Thanks for the tutorial its great, but I seem to be doing something wrong. I can connect to the computer using puTTY and I log in using the account i created.

Then I open VNC viewer and try to connect to localhost and it immediately says "connection closed unexpectedly" "would you like to try again" or something like that.

I can access the computer using the command window that puTTY brings up but I can't access the desktop using VNC. Any ideas? thnx

Sweet. I got your tutorial to work. Now just need to get this one to work...

This one is for newsreaders...
    http://thomasdamgaard.dk/howto/putty...rt-forwarding/
    Watch media as you download it! Excellent tool!
    FREE CUBA!
    MyBlog
    If you feel my post has helped, please rate it.

or you could use a free service that I like, www.logmein.com works great. I also like to use VNC though.

Is there any way you could rehost the pics for this Tutorial please, I can't seem to make it work without them.

Thanks

Done. Sorry

Have you mapped the local port to the port on the server as described?

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd
    Have you mapped the local port to the port on the server as described?
    I followed all the steps completely. I'm not sure which part you are referring to. Sorry, i'm kinda new at this stuff.

Step no 11 describes how to set up the tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd
    Step no 11 describes how to set up the tunnels.
    Yes I did this step. I was able to get that connection working, I just can't use VNC viewer to see the desktop. It keeps saying "connection closed unexpectedly" but the tunnel connection is still open.

I started using LiveMesh Beta from Microsoft. This offers you the ability to share your computer's desktop.

The requirement is that you need to be signed into the Livemesh client on both computers.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

PowerPoster

I am getting the same problem as lumerix (Post #8), I also tried to put the local IP (of the computer I am connecting to) instead of "localhost" in VNC, and then I get "unable to connect to host: Connection refused (10061)". And of course, I also tried to put the port number, like: "localhost:5900", but still can't connect.

What could I be doing wrong ?
    Last edited by CVMichael; Mar 18th, 2010 at 08:36 AM.

If you right click on the title bar of the putty window you should be able to see a log. Does this log state that the port was forwarded successfully?

PowerPoster

Apparently not, this is what I get: "2010-03-18 15:15:26 Forwarded connection refused by server: Connect failed []"

Do you know what can I do to fix it ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry for the late reply on this. I don't seem to eb getting reply notifications for this thread.

It appears that the server is not allowing you to forward the connection. consider the following:
    • The version of Windows you are using.
    • Is the VNC software actually listening on localhost port (5900). It may only be bound to a physical interface. To test simply try to connect to VNC from the machine it is intalled on with localhost:5900. If it works you'll see images of Windows cascade acroos the VNC screen.
    • Do you have Windows Firewall enabled. It may be blocking the connection so ensure you have port 5900 open to the loopback subnet 127.0.0.0/8.