Thread: is there a event in a recordset?

Hyperactive Member

is there a event in a recordset?

i have 10 fields and im using a adodb.connection, i have set those 10 fields to 10 textboxes.... if i edit 3 fields is there a event where i can see the fields that has change its value so i can update only those 3 fields not the whole recordset?? textbox onchange event wont work.... im looking for rs parameter that checks the fields that has change its value...

Re: is there a event in a recordset?

Since your textboxes are bound to the recordset all you have to do is test for the EditMode and performa an .Update.
    VB Code:
    1. If oRs.EditMode = adEditInProgress Then
    2.         'Needs to be updated in order to save the changes
    3.         oRs.Update ' Or whatever you need
    4.     End If
    Or you can also test against the adEditAdd EditMode if your calling the .AddNew method.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

10nx mr. robdog888 but what i meant is, to check which field has been change ?? editmode =adeditinprogress if true shows that some value in the recordset has been changed and i want to know if there is a parameter to check what fields that has change its value from the recordset

Nope, not that I am aware of. Its not a big deal to just update all the fields. I did take it that your textboxes were bound to a particular field or are you manually coding it all?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

im manually coding it all.. i want to know what field has change value and the new value, and save it to another table (i want to monitor all the changes that the user is doing in the table) ...
    field | value | user |date |id
    fname Mikee jr 2/19/2006 001

in sql trigger after update is there a way to know which field has change its value???

If you are using SQL Server then you can use a Trigger to write a copy to another table. Then if you have a running history of those records you can run a query to compare the diffs.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

This sounds like a type of audit log so I have done a few before like this...

Whenever you do an update, do a secondary insert into a audit table of th record with date/time stamp, windows user name, or whatever else you want to track. Then you can always write an Admin form in your app to let the Admin or you view the audit log and run filters or sorts for report printing.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hyperactive Member

using sql trigger i write a copy of the deleted.records(the original value ) to another table and compare it to the new value ... the problem is i have 50 fields do i have to manually look for the field that has been changed or is there a easy way to do that...
    i know my questions are not about vb... im hoping any procedure from vb or using sql trigger that i can use...

Its ok. Its still programming as we even have a database forum.

Just write the entire record to your audit table and then when and where do you want to see the diff?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

An ADODB recordset raises several events. Two of these might be of interest for you.
    VB Code:
    1. Private WithEvents rs As Recordset
    3. Private Sub rs_FieldChangeComplete(ByVal cFields As Long, ByVal Fields As Variant, ByVal pError As ADODB.Error, adStatus As ADODB.EventStatusEnum, ByVal pRecordset As ADODB.Recordset)
    4.     'event is fired after a field has been changed
    5. End Sub
    7. Private Sub rs_WillChangeField(ByVal cFields As Long, ByVal Fields As Variant, adStatus As ADODB.EventStatusEnum, ByVal pRecordset As ADODB.Recordset)
    8.     'event if fired before a pending change is made
    9. End Sub

Hey no fair Joacim! You know everything. I wish I had this before. It would have made things easier for me in a few of my projects.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011