dcsimg

Thread: VB6 cGdiPlusCache.cls revisited

PowerPoster

VB6 cGdiPlusCache.cls revisited

Ok, in some earlier (and smaller) CodeBank-examples I was using a cGDIPlusCache-Class,
    to provide some "non-RC5-examples" with some base-functionality for Icon- and Image-Resource-Handling (via GDIPlus-Flat-API).

I've now revisited the Code of cGdiPlusCache.cls, to make it act a bit more like I'm wont to - with the Cairo-Drawing-Classes of the RC5.
    (though as the earlier examples, it is not using any references to RC5-libs)

Here a list, what it now supports:
    - Load images from file or bytearray (incl. Bmp, Jpg, Png, Gif)
    - Load icons or cursors from file or bytearray
    - Load icons/images/thumbnails from ShellItemObjects (or alternatively Shell-FilePaths) directly
    - Base64 encoding/decoding is supported (to be able to define smaller Png- or Ico- or Cursor-resources directly in a normal VB6-String-Constant)
    - Simple RLE encoding/decoding to compress resources which have a reduced ColorSet (related to the Base64-String-Const-stuff)
    - Image- and Icon-Rendering is done with full Alpha-Support - and support for high-quality-stretching
    - Image-Rendering is also supporting the "Tile-Mode" (to support fast rendered Form-Backgrounds, no matter the Form-Size)
    - support for animated Gifs is built-in
    - Antialiased Drawing of Line, Rectangle, Ellipse and Polygon (incl. Spline-Tension-Parameter, Alpha-Fill, and Alpha-Stroke) is now supported
    - Easy to use DrawText-like implementation for GDIPlus-TextOutputs
    - support for transforms (Translate, Rotate, Scale) is now built-in ... quite analogue to Cairo
    - the above transforms support all the above drawing-primitives fully: (Line, Ellipse, Rectangle, ImageRendering, and DrawText)
    - and Cairo-like support for Save- and Restore was implemented as well (usually applied in nested renderings, to isolate the transforms of sub-routines from the ones further up the callstack)

The Demo-Zip contains 4 Folders:
    - 1 Basic Usage (demonstrating the case the Class was originally developed for - acting as a "global ImageList-Cache for Alpha-Resources")
    - 2 ShellItems (demonstrating ShellItem-Renderings, by passing normal ShellItem-Objects as the Source)
    - 3 Cursors (how to use Cursors from *.png and *.cur file-resources, which were defined as Base64-encoded String-Constants, not using any FileAccess).
    - 4 Antialiased Drawings (Polygon- and Spline-Renderings + other Primitives + rotated Unicode-TextOutput)

Hopefully that now extended functionality will help people, to use GdiPlus with less risk of handle-leaking or teardown-crashes.

Here a ScreenShot for the new ShellItem-Load-Functions (which allows, to build Explorer-like Trees or Lists without larger fiddling).

And here another one, which demonstrates the nested Transforms, along with antialiased renderings of a few Drawing-Primitives:

Here the Demo-Sources:
    GDIPlusCache.zip

Have fun,

Olaf

Lively Member

Re: VB6 cGdiPlusCache.cls revisited

Hi.
    very good class I hope you keep improving it I will use it also in some projects that I do not use RC5.
    I found small problems in the cursors project.
    In all the calls, invalid number of arguments works but when compiling it gives error.

Code:
    GC.DrawRect hDC, x, y, dx, dy, 1, vbBlue,, True
    also in all
    Code:
    GC.FillElps hDC, -10, -10, 20, 20, vbMagenta, 0.5, True
    I removed the last parameter true and it works and compiles perfectly.

a greeting and very good job

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yokesee View Post
    In all the calls, invalid number of arguments works but when compiling it gives error.

Code:
    GC.DrawRect hDC, x, y, dx, dy, 1, vbBlue,, True
    also in all
    Code:
    GC.FillElps hDC, -10, -10, 20, 20, vbMagenta, 0.5, True
    Ah - yes, sorry - the Sub where these wrong-argument-counts are in is: DrawGDIPStuffAt(...) (in the Cursors-Project) -
    and this Sub is "dead code" (called from nowhere - just a leftover from testing)...

The Sub being dead code is the reason, why the IDE did not inform me about the wrong param-count ...
    This Sub can be safely deleted from the Cursor-Project...
    (there's better demo-routines for the Drawing-Primitives in the projectfolder "4 Antialiased Drawings").

Thanks for pointing it out though, so that others don't wonder (think it's not "serious enough", to upload a new Zip for that).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Ok, made an Update for the whole thing (fixing the "dead-code" issue above + some enhancements)...
    - added the Pie-Drawing-Primitive
    - added a TextOut-Method (with left/center/right adjustment around the given x/y-Point - as well as optional BaseLine-Rendering of the Text)
    - added two additional Demo-Folders:
    - ..\5 Layered PNGs
    - ..\6 Vertical TabStrip

Here the new Code-Package: GDIPlusCache.zip

Have fun...

Olaf

Hi Schmidt. I was trying the class and there is something I dont understand.

If I a draw using standard functons to a picture box and want to paint the same image scaled into another smaller picture box I can use the code:

Picture1.line ....
    Picture2.PaintPicture picture1, 0, 0, halfWidth, HalfHeight, 0, 0, FullWidth, FullHeight

And it works (ugly with no antialiasing). After using your class to paint something to the Picture1 I can no longer use Picture2.PaintPicture to get a copy of its content and dont understand why.
    Anyway what I really want is to have something like AlphaRenderTo but instead of Key take as a parameter another hDC (that can be a picturebox or form)
    Can you add it or help me do it?
    thanks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by shagratt View Post
    ...I was trying the class and there is something I dont understand.

If I a draw using standard functons to a picture box and want to paint the same image scaled into another smaller picture box I can use the code:

Picture1.line ....
    Picture2.PaintPicture picture1, 0, 0, halfWidth, HalfHeight, 0, 0, FullWidth, FullHeight
    Instead of Drawing to one PicBox - and then using "Bitmap-Scaling" to render its content to another one...

Why not render onto the second (downscaled) PicBox directly by using
    the cGDIPlusCache-Drawing-calls in conjunction with a transform (translation, rotation, scaling)?

Here is some DemoCode for what I mean...
    (into an empty Form, which is part of a project, that also contains the cGDIPlusCache-Class):
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private GC As New cGDIPlusCache

Private Sub Form_Load()
      RedrawOn Me
    End Sub
    Private Sub Form_Resize()
      RedrawOn Me
    End Sub

Private Sub RedrawOn(VBCanvas As Object)
      VBCanvas.AutoRedraw = True: VBCanvas.Cls

Dim dx: dx = VBCanvas.ScaleX(VBCanvas.ScaleWidth, VBCanvas.ScaleMode, vbPixels)
      Dim dy: dy = VBCanvas.ScaleY(VBCanvas.ScaleHeight, VBCanvas.ScaleMode, vbPixels)

With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile(App.Path & "\..\cGDIPlusCache.cls", 1)
        Dim Lines() As String
            Lines = Split(.ReadAll, vbCrLf): .Close
      End With
      RenderTextLines VBCanvas.hDC, Lines, 0.1 '<- use any Zoom-Factor

VBCanvas.Refresh 'refresh the Form, when in AutoRedraw-Mode
    End Sub

Private Sub RenderTextLines(hDC As Long, Lines() As String, Optional ByVal Zoom! = 1)
      Dim TW As Single, TH As Single, i As Long, Color As Long

Font.Name = "Consolas"
      Font.Size = 10

GC.Save hDC
        GC.ScaleDrawings hDC, Zoom, Zoom 'use one of the transform-calls (here: Scaling)

GC.DrawString hDC, Font, "|", 0, 0, TW, TH, DT_CALCRECT

For i = 0 To UBound(Lines)
          Color = vbBlack
          If InStr(Lines(i), "Private ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "Public ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "End ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "'") Then Color = vbGreen

GC.DrawString hDC, Font, Lines(i), 0, i * TH, 0, 0, DT_SINGLELINE, Color
        Next
      GC.Restore hDC
    End Sub
    I've simplified the coloring of the text-lines in the above RenderTextLines-Routine...

Here a ScreenShot, what this will produce:

HTH

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Instead of Drawing to one PicBox - and then using "Bitmap-Scaling" to render its content to another one...
    Why not render onto the second (downscaled) PicBox directly...
    I thought writing graphics directly can cause tearing and wanted to use the picturebox as a buffer. Of course I know picturebox are not the best way to achieve complex graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Code:
      GC.Save hDC
        GC.ScaleDrawings hDC, Zoom, Zoom 'use one of the transform-calls (here: Scaling)

GC.DrawString hDC, Font, "|", 0, 0, TW, TH, DT_CALCRECT

For i = 0 To UBound(Lines)
          Color = vbBlack
          If InStr(Lines(i), "Private ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "Public ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "End ") Then Color = vbBlue
          If InStr(Lines(i), "'") Then Color = vbGreen

GC.DrawString hDC, Font, Lines(i), 0, i * TH, 0, 0, DT_SINGLELINE, Color
        Next
      GC.Restore hDC
    End Sub
    Thanks!!! Your example was amazing! Loved it! Are you a mind reader or something? That's exactly what I was going to use the code for.

I have problems understanding what the SAVE/RESTORE actually do. When you use GC.SAVE are you copying the actual image in the hDC to the class buffer , then drawing on it and later the RESTORE put back the new image stored in the class buffer into the hDC picture? If im wrong can you explain it please.