Thread: [RESOLVED] Reputation Limits

Resolved [RESOLVED] Reputation Limits

hey,

i think it's a shame when reputations hit a maximum,
    it'd be great to see an addition that sees reps go as far as this
    and beyond.

the gems could be worth more to slow it down (200 for the 1st one, 300 for the 2nd etc..)

i notice codeguru already has several members peaked out.

Re: Reputation Limits

Well they're not really peaked out as the top few are above 2,000 Reps but they dont have a limit, only a forums software limit of 11 Gems for the display.

With any addition of more Gems comes the obstruction of the rest of the info for the members data. If it could be done then someone would end up saying, "We should extend the Gems to x number more" and so on. What if someone has 50 Gems? The display would break the page display.

As usual and as shown with the recent vbcode tags hack issue, they dont like making hacks as they each have issues and need to be updated each time to forums software is updated.

Sure it would be great to have it dsplay 20 Gems or ? but there has to be a limit, but it would look cool like in your example.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

well, i agree that it is a pain i nthe arse.
    however i disagree with the space issue. As I did think of this and thats why i mentioned ud make each gem progressively worth more, to slow down the rate ppl get them, 200, 300, 400 etc.

not only that though, nothing says you need to actually add more gems, you could scroll them like this

but yes, painful operation to do, so not likely to happen, just thought id lay the ideas down somewhere admins can actually see it, if it is ever thought about in future (like when the first couple pages r filled with full-gemmers)

Are you planning on max'ing them out sometime soon? I don't think it's an issue here, or on CG. I think it's a variable, but to decide that one gem is worth 200, would give a lot of people 0 gems. Wouldn't want that. Of course, it could be a forum upgrade in the future. Then, they could make a gem for every 5 reps!

A "Gem for every 5 Reps" would mean an entire page full of Gems for us. That wouldnt be useful.

If we were to increase the number of reps that each gem was worth then that might be a fix but then everybody would loose a gem or more and they wouldnt probably like that. We have the levels we have started out with and its been 1 year now. Too late to make any drastic changes like that now.

Probably it would be better to remove all Gems when you reach the max and then provide a "Super Gem" thats worth 3,000 rep points alone. I'm sure vBulletin will hae something up their sleeves like this in some upcoming release.

I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

that would be up to vbBulletin, and it wouldn't make much sense, having one Purple Gem, and two green ones. Doesn't seem to be a problem for a few years, I was just being sarcastic. Maybe you want a Flash ad if you click on Super-Gem?

Yes, as I did mention, I'm sure vBulletin will come out with something in some upcoming future release.

I didnt see Phil's pictures as the link was having issues but that is another good suggestion, but up to vBulletin again.

CG has more then 1/2 a page of members that have 1,000+ Reps so it will probably take another year or two that is if they dont end up getting turned off here at VBF first.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

aarrg... you didnt understand my theory

you dont just make each gem worth more! robdog got the closest idea with the super gem

you PROGRESSIVELY make them worth more

the curent gems dont change, first 10 gems all 100 points each like normal.
    the first extra shny gem is worth 200
    the 2nd shiny gem is worth 300
    the 3rd shiny gem is worth 400
    the 4th shiny gem is worth 500
    the 5th shiny gem is worth 600
    ...etc
    the 11th (blue) gem is worth 1200

in other words, to get 3 really shiny gems you need the (whats the current display max, 900 or 1000, ill say 1000) PLUS the 1st gem value of 200, plus 2nd gem of 300 plus 400, so you need a total of 1900 points.

get my drift?

There was a issue with your images and I only skimmed through the thread. Yes, I like that idea and I think you should suggest it to vBulletin.

Ps, When do I get that white Gem?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I'll admit...,. I only skimmed this thread.... but I'll say...

We can change the graphic used for the gems.
    The amounts for when they display, we don't control. That is a vBulletin thing.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

They should make gems like the roman numbers.

I = 1
    V = 5
    X = 10
    L = 50
    C = 100
    D = 500
    M = 1000
    And so on...

But to have gems instead of letters, gems with different colors.
    So if you have 499 points then it's "CCCCLXXXXVIIII"
    And if you have 500 points then it's "D"

[Edit]
    Ups, I just noticed right now that this is an old thread... (Well, not that old...)
    Last edited by CVMichael; Feb 7th, 2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: NVM... old thread

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    So if you have 499 points then it's "CCCCLXXXXVIIII"
    Wouldn't 499 be "ID"?

Well 2 days is not really old but anything like your proposing would have to be implemented by vBulletin.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    [Edit]
    Ups, I just noticed right now that this is an old thread... (Well, not that old...)
    Considering some of the threads that get resurrected around here, this is a mere child.

Although I kinda like your idea, as Brad said, this is not something over which we have a lot of control. It is a vBulletin thing.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by bpd
    Wouldn't 499 be "ID"?
    Hmm... good point, I think your right !

Ok, this is resolved.

Mods & Brad, Thanks for the feedback.
    Others, Thanks for the brainstorming.