Thread: [RESOLVED] Sleep trouble

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sleep trouble

When i tell my PC to sleep it goes into sleep then wakes up straight away. it only does it for me an its gettin realy anoying. does anyone know what it is an how i can stop it?

Re: Sleep trouble

Does your PC have Wake On LAN. If so, go to the BIOS and try disabling it, this might bne what is causing your PC to wake up.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

what do u mean by "i tell my pc"?...

i dont know how it works in a laptop but in a desktop, when u press sleep from the keyboard, it would be in a sleep mode.. when u want to use your pc again, u just press wake button or just move your mouse...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Give it a glass of cold milk before you ask it to sleep.

Do you have a problem with your CPU? Is your BIOS ok?

I seriously doubt it's WOL, most likly your just nocking the mouse slightly. It you look under the hardware properties for you mouse you'll see under the power options there's a check box you can uncheck that'll stop that from happening.
    TPM

Add yourself to the VBForums Frappr Map!!

Mine wakes when my phone rings, oddly.
    Must be the WOLfeature of my Wi-Fi card interfering :/

Not too bad though.

In this sistuation i'm prepared to guess it has the settings in the BIOS wrong, and yes, i think it would be WOL.
    Zeegnahtuer?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone
    Mine wakes when my phone rings, oddly.
    Must be the WOLfeature of my Wi-Fi card interfering :/

Not too bad though.

In this sistuation i'm prepared to guess it has the settings in the BIOS wrong, and yes, i think it would be WOL.
    That could be wake up on ring if you have a dialup connection hooked in, if not then it's most likly the interference is triggering the 'power on' from your mother board probably in your PSU. This also is extreemly unlikly to be WOL, for 2 reasons;
    1) Wi-Fi as a general rule doesn't support WOL.
    2) Even if you had a wirelees router that picked it up WOL is't just a random connection, it uses a 'magic packet' which contains the MAC address of the machine to be woken up. I believe it also has to be broadcast 5 times...
    TPM

Quote Originally Posted by -TPM-
    That could be wake up on ring if you have a dialup connection hooked in, if not then it's most likly the interference is triggering the 'power on' from your mother board probably in your PSU. This also is extreemly unlikly to be WOL, for 2 reasons;
    1) Wi-Fi as a general rule doesn't support WOL.
    2) Even if you had a wirelees router that picked it up WOL is't just a random connection, it uses a 'magic packet' which contains the MAC address of the machine to be woken up. I believe it also has to be broadcast 5 times...
    Ah, never thought about the interference actually directly affecting components.
    I have no dial-up, but i just tried it now, and i can't seem to get my problem reproduced, so, hey. Must have a been a two or three off (happened a few times)
    Zeegnahtuer?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone
    Ah, never thought about the interference actually directly affecting components.
    I have no dial-up, but i just tried it now, and i can't seem to get my problem reproduced, so, hey. Must have a been a two or three off (happened a few times)
    What about just a modem? I could see that picking the interferance up and thinking it's an incomming call (especially since it's the phone causing it). Probably worth investigating a little even if it's not happening now, cos you can bet that as soon as you leave your house the phone'll ring and it'll turn on...
    TPM

Tried it a few times now, seems its decided it doesn't like me, i don't mind my PC switching on, not going to damage anything. Just gets annoying in the middle of the night.
    Zeegnahtuer?

Make sure that the BIOS isn't controlling POWER settings. Turn it off. Windows likes to manage power settings, and when you press SLEEP, the BIOS doesn't know it.

Make sure that the BIOS isn't controlling POWER settings. Turn it off. Windows likes to manage power settings, and when you press SLEEP, the BIOS doesn't know it.
    That was it thanks

I dont know why it wasnt doin it for anyone else though