Thread: invalid IP address, DHCP server, Wireless

Hybrid View

Wink invalid IP address, DHCP server, Wireless

Hi there,
    I’ve installed a new wireless router and all functions work properly beside when I configure my encryption under; WPA pre-shared-key: Hex 64 characters. From the security settings of the router it looks fine and I can even locate the network from my XP Pro (SP2). However, I can not access from my XP even after I insert the Hex (Password) for the network. I can see that both of my wireless card and the XP recognize the network but for some reason I can’t get through. In addition, while I’m clicking on the support tab of the wireless network connection icon it says invalid IP address while before I applied the encryption in the router it shown that the IP address was assigned by DHCP server. Please help me with this problem.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Ben

Re: invalid IP address, DHCP server, Wireless

WEP is 64 b HEX, but WPA - Shared is a shared (text) key.
    You didn't say what is which, as far as if both machines are using wireless or not. With SP2, you have to allow access in the Firewall for the wireless card.
    Also, I've found that some laptops (mainly a few IBM's) can't use WPA. I've always set the router back to WEP, and re-did any other WIFI connections, as they all can use WEP.

Hey David,
    Fist of all manny thanks for you help.
    I have canceled the SP2 FW as i'm using zone-alarm and as i mentioned i can connect the router but not after WPA 64Hex (letter and numbers only). Howver, like you said I'm using IBM r40. Do you know if this model supports WPA and if so.. do you have any other idea for me?
    Many thanks again,
    Ben

Nope, but I always try WPA first, as it is a better method. If that fails, I reset to WEP, with the hex key. I did the IBM laptop as the third one that was to be WIFI'd, and it didn't work. I spent 1/2 hour on the Net (via cable) and couldn't find an update, or anything. I gave up, and reset the other two to WEP.

The major problem was that one system didn't have a LAN jack in it. I usually plug in a laptop, open the router, and copy/paste the hex key into the WIFI dialog box.

This time, I had to type it in manually.

I have also turned off encryption to open the router webpage, but this is problematic at times, so I don't do it often.

My router only has these choices
    None
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA
    I always choose the third one (passkey). The fourth is if the W2K server assigns a passkey.

Also, 128b is better than 64b.
    WEP
    Wired Equivalent Protocol (WEP) is a wireless security protocol for Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN). WEP provides security by encrypting the data that is sent over the WLAN. The DI-524 supports 2levels of WEP Encryption: 64Bit encryption, 128Bit encryption. WEP is disabled by default. The WEP setting can be changed to fit an existing wireless network or to customize your wireless network.

Fanatic Member

Why not just use WEP?
    My Projects: [ Instant Messagener Client/Server ] [ VBPictochat ]

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]

Remember if my post was helpful then Rate This Post.

WPA keeps changing the key, based on the passphrase. WEP uses the same string. If someone sniffs long enough, they can figure out the WEP code, whereas it would take them a lot longer to be able to figure out the rolling code of WPA encryption. WPA is the strongest encryption that is available to the public, AFIK.

WEP is a couple of years old. WPA is more recent.

I suggest the strongest encryption, even though, most places I go to install WIFI, (apt buildings and condo's) I can usually find 3 out of 8 available WIFI networks that are unsecured! One client didn't even know that she was connected to her neighbors SSID!

Always choose the strongest encryption possible. Why make it easy to connect to your network. It's kind of like not locking your front door. All it takes is someone coming to your door and twisting the knob.

Fanatic Member

Yeah if they sniff long enough, on a home network thats roughly a year. Probably longer if you don't use it that much.
    Yes, you probably would want to use something better than wep in an apt situtation. But, in rural areas, you good with just WEP. Telling a person who lives in a neighborhood where most people couldn't tell you what WEP is, is like telling someone that they need a firewall but they arn't connected to the internet.
    And btw, they would have to know which door I'm at, and how to turn the knob.

And say if someone in your neighborhood did get intrested into breaking someone's wep, that costs a lot of time and money. First you have to find a card that is compatiable with the current WEP cracking programs (just type in 'crack wep' in google and youll know what I'm talking about.) which aint going to be cheap, itll probably put you in the 100$ range. Then the time itll take (about 6-12 months, I assume that they ).
    How many hackers do you know get in their car, and see how many home networks they can crack. I don't know of any because it would be a waste of time, hackers go for businesses because thats where the secerts are at. If you do know a hacker that goes around hacking home networks, ask yourself 'why?'. If there trying to go after tax forms or social security numbers, they can do that on almost any P2P network. I really doubt hackers are going to hack into some unknown home network just for bragging rights.

Unless the houses are right next to each other, I doubt that WEP is going to be a problem. Why always insist on using the latest? Its like telling a person who is using Windows SP1 that they HAVE to upgrade to SP2 or else they are going to have problems (in fact I have heard of stories where people who upgraded to SP2 have had problems and had to reinstall windows.).

Around me there are 4 at any given time I can pick up with my computer and wireless card + external attenna, 1 is me, 2 are so weak that I can't ever connect (even if they weren't wep protected). Now thats with a 6db gain (not omnidirectional) attenna. There are other networks but only 2 I have been able to connect to (they are open).

Btw, its not easy to connect to a WEP protected wireless network. Easy would be unprotected. WEP could probably be compared to entering your pin into an ATM machine, if they are standing right behind you watching you enter your password, they will know your password. Otherwise they wont.

@offir1
    Try using WEP.

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]

Thanks mate (:

What do you think about WPA(Tkip) 64bit?
    This is the only security i could manage.

Offir

That's OK. WPA is a rolling code based on a passphrase. It keeps changing, which makes it harder to sniff.

Again thank you very much!
    It works great and it even secured now (-:

I found 5 unsecured SSID's today. It's sick! I should have knocked on every door with my laptop.

Sorry mate but you wont find it here (--: either way you more than welcome to knock on my real door here but nothing further !!!

Fanatic Member

@dglienna
    Maybe they are purposley open, for when someone connects to it uploads a virus to their computer xD.

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]