Thread: runtime error 429:ActiveX component can't create object

runtime error 429:ActiveX component can't create object

hi

i've been received the error msg as above when i run a vb application. specifically when i want to print an invoice report (Crystal Report) from that application. i'm using sql server2000 on winserver2003 as the database and winxp on the client.

what is actually the problem here, gurus? is there any wrong configuration?
    what should i do?

thanks..

regards.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: runtime error 429:ActiveX component can't create object

Welcome to the forums.

What is the code you are using from your VB program to call Crystal Reports?

Sounds like a crustal reports DLL or OCX needs to be registered. Possibly reinstalling CR might do the trick.
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

Don't solve problems which don't exist.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

2 idiots don't make a genius.

Dave's mention off 'installing' prompted this question.

Does your application work fine on your development machine, but you have issues running it on client machines?

hack & dave...

i did reinstalling the vb program as the resolution for few times and succesfully print the invoice report. but after some times, it happen again. it is quite strenuous to reinstalling the application everytime right?
    if the issue is because of the unregistered OCX or DLL file, what should i do then, buddy?

also afraid if the issue is regarding the late binding in the vb code, unfortunately code of the application is not with me. i did't get the code when i bought it. they only give me the EXE file. is there any chance to fix it without the code?

pls help me guys..
    thanks

Without source code, you can't make any changes at all to an .Exe file.
    Quote Originally Posted by alinysyahril
    i did reinstalling the vb program as the resolution for few times and succesfully print the invoice report. but after some times, it happen again.
    Are you saying that you got the installation and OCX registration to work successfully, but after a while the component "unregistered" itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Without source code, you can't make any changes at all to an .Exe file.Are you saying that you got the installation and OCX registration to work successfully, but after a while the component "unregistered" itself?
    yes..it seems like that..
    coz everytime i install the application at the client machine (3 machines), it will prompted an error occured while registering the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\Crystl32.ocx

but after the ocx file been copied..everythings went well..
    then now after some time..i got that 429 runtime error..

hope those info make u clear..
    thank u hack..
    happy new year

hello guys..

any problem with the details been given. if u need any further details, please let me know coz i really need to know whether is there any other ways can be done besides reinstalling the application again and again..

thanks

gurus..

i've read this KB http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=184898 saying that as a resolution for this error : Modify the server so that the method returns an object of another class rather than a UDT.

is this can be applied to my matter? and can anybody explain to me how to modify the server coz i really hope that nothing to do with the code of the application..

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alinysyahril
    gurus..
    i've read this KB http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=184898 saying that as a resolution for this error : Modify the server so that the method returns an object of another class rather than a UDT.
    thanks
    Don't do that! Keep with the UDT. We extensively use UDT and arrays of UDT's across a global network, and as far as I've seen it's the most efficient way of doing it.

If it has nothing to do with the code of the application (and you are at least 100% sure of that) then some form of state that is held outside the application has changed.

Find the changed state, and you might find your problem.
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down

then today, after no config can resolve the matter..
    i reinstall Crystal Report 10 but still received the 429 error..

then, i reinstall the CRF application then the invoice report can be printed out.
    unfortunately, the report is empty and got runtime error 80043ac3 file not found..

what is the problem now..and what should i reconfigure.
    i'm pretty sure that nothing to do with the vb code sir...

thanks

Hello Everyone,

I am having the same issue. I have a program which calls a few Crystal reports using a hyperlink and everytime I hit the link it gives the runtime error 429 activex component cant create object.

I have tried so many solutions to this problem, I'm all out of cluess so hopefully someone here can help me out.

This is where the error occurs in my code (however I am not going to change any of the code because it is already set up on my clients machine and it works good):

Set objStatus = CreateObject("Status.clsStatus")

and

Set objPrint = CreateObject("PrintRep.clsPrintRep")

What I am trying to do here is set up a Test Environment mimicing my clients machine for my client to test the program.

This is the last issue I need to figure out before I can hand off the test environment to my client.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Erena V.

Hi I did a check against the versions of each of the dlls on the developers computer and on the test environment computer and came up with the following outcome:

Developers Machine:

scrrun.dll Version 5.6.0.8820
    MSCOMCTL.OCX Version 6.1.97.82
    MSCOMCT2.OCX Version 6.1.97.82

Test Environment Machine:

scrrun.dll Version 5.6.0.8825
    MSCOMCTL.OCX Version 6.1.97.86
    MSCOMCT2.OCX Version 6.0.88.4

If you compare these ocx's and the dll you will see that the versions on the test machine are different then on the developers machine.

My question is does that really matter? and should I just manually copy these dll's from the developers machine onto the test machine and register them??????

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Regards,

Erena V.

Yes, the version matters (usually anyway).. it matters even more if the target machine doesn't have the files at all.

You should not manually copy & register the files, you should create an installation package, as that will install all of the files that you need (not just the ones you have noticed so far), and will install them properly (including dependencies, registration, etc).

For more information on that, see the article Why doesn't my program work on another computer? from our Classic VB FAQs (in the FAQ forum, which is shown near the top of our home page)

Thank you for the reply. I will read the article and hopefully I can install them properly.

Thanks.

Regards,

Erena V.