Thread: Zcreenshot (translucent selection-box seamless screenshot application)

Lightbulb Zcreenshot (translucent selection-box seamless screenshot application)

Thought I'd share this awesome little open-source app with tons of useful code examples with VBForums. I've won 2 awards for code of the month over at PlanetSourceCode, and this was one of them.

Fully operational screenshot application that is activated with a set of hot-keys of your choice, that when activated changes your mouse cursor to the selection-cross to let you know you can now click and drag a translucent selection box across any part of your desktop, and when the mouse is released, it will be saved to a folder with only the area selected. JPEG compression is available for saving the image, or standard raw bitmap. The appearance of the selection box is fully customizable (as far as translucency, border color, and background color) As well as saving all preferences in an INI file, such as which compression to use, running on start-up, it also features the ability to easily access the application through use of the Windows tray area; you may also access the screenshot folder where the images are saved to from the tray icon for ease of use. As well demonstrating quite a large number of API calls in relation to I/O and GDI+/other graphic operations, this also demonstrates the basics of making an application that runs on start up and is easily available from tray area. Great, fairly simple application to learn a lot of the basics to make headway to becoming an advanced programmer.
    Zcreenshot.zip
    Name:  PIC201382023235054.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  73.4 KB

Frenzied Member

Re: Zcreenshot (translucent selection-box seamless screenshot application)

I try it in XP
    Is ok...
    Needed first to make the ocx, then copy it to vbp folder, then open a new one and put a reference to it, then save it, and then open the vbp file of new one as text file, copy the references to the Zcreenshot.vbp and then I could run it in ide and then I make the exe file..When it runs an icon created in task bar.
    Very Good...
    Also the Lavolpe ocx is good too.

Thank you, georgekar. I'm very glad to have more people attempting to run it on XP. I have found it can be buggy sometimes, especially run on older machines running XP. To work flawlessly as described it needs Admin privileges , and to be on at least Windows Vista onward; however this might actually be due more to the actual hardware and API combinations themselves.

Also yes, the Lavolpe alpha image control is phenomenal, and really open up easy to construct GUI possibilities and otherwise for Visual Basic 6, as I have show a few examples of, such as using the opacity capabilities, and ability to effectively display PNG images design-time, and the About Zcreenshot fading effect, which is in fact 2 PNG images I created in Photoshop and used a timer to create a low memory-consuming fading effect in a easy to understand method.

Frenzied Member

Could it be enhanced to capture the active window(Form) ?