Thread: Moral question about Abraham and the Hebrews.

Hybrid View

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Moral question about Abraham and the Hebrews.

So in the Old Testament, there is a passage where God kills all the first born of Egypt because the Pharaoh will not release the Hebrew slaves.

Also in that passage, it states that the Pharaoh was actually prepared to release the Hebrews (due to the previous less severe plagues), but God hardens Pharaoh's heart, and makes him refuse just so God can show off his powers.

Is this ethical?

Did God just commit mass murder against Egyptian children to show off his powers?

How do Jews, Christians and Muslims (which I think all believe in most of the Old Testament), rationalize this?
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

Planet Xeoroaniar CC Posts:1,928,453,459,361

Re: Moral question about Abraham and the Hebrews.

Hmmm, never thought about that. A good point but perhaps a bit too sensitive a subject to discuss. The last thing VBF needs is religious histeria
    Life is one big rock tune

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysboy1978
    The last thing VBF needs is religious histeria
    Very true!

Blasphemer!
    A post brought to you by the Grim Reaper Appreciation Society™

"Buy your lifetime subscription now and save on your coffin"

One of the best scenes I have ever seen on Family Guy is where Abraham Lincoln kills Isaac from Love Boat.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Most likely, the plagues never did happen, but may have been a story passed down from from a previous times, woven into the biblican history of the region. The hardening of the Pharaoh's heart is probably a parable to show how unbelievers are evil and even after seeing the signs, do not heed to them.

Of course, we have to go by the assumption that god controls everything and in this case, god controls the Pharaoh as well.

God is a vengeful god, after all.
    Here's to us!
    Who's like us?
    Darned few, and they're all dead!

See I don't understand this. Christians/Jews/ (and maybe) Muslims know this story very well. But it is showing God as a mass murderer.

How can they still consider God as a perfect moral being?

I mean this is just one of the many passages of this nature. Check out www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

In order for them to retain the concept of God as being an all powerful, benevolent being, would they have to reject the religous text on which their faith is based on?

Quote Originally Posted by demotivater
    God is a vengeful god, after all.
    - Me

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak
    Most likely, the plagues never did happen, but may have been a story passed down from from a previous times, woven into the biblican history of the region. The hardening of the Pharaoh's heart is probably a parable to show how unbelievers are evil and even after seeing the signs, do not heed to them.

Of course, we have to go by the assumption that god controls everything and in this case, god controls the Pharaoh as well.
    I will repeat a previous post on this topic.

The story of moses DID happen, just not as described.
    At the time a volcano erupted in the med (scientific evidence shows this) but because of the curvature of the earth people in Egyp couldn't see it. Now, when a volcano erupts from far away it is observable, even today, that animals can detect the eruption and flee the area. It also explains why the sun went dark (pyroclastic clouds), why fire bombs fell from the sky (volcanic bombs). In modern times we would see the coverage live on TV and know it is a volcanic eruption. In ancient times they wouldn't even know what a volcano IS so would attribute it to an act of god.

As for moses himself he took the people across the REED sea, not the red sea as the translation to English was wrong. The reed sea is perhaps nowhere near as deep as the red sea. Now, when a volcanic eruption ocurrs under water the shockwave produces a tsunami. From last year we saw first hand that just before a tusnami hits the water recedes rapidly, then the wave hits. This explains why the isrealites walked across, and the following egyptians were struck by a massive wave.

Not an act of god, simply a natural event that could not be sufficiently explained by the knowledge of the time.

At the time a volcano erupted in the med (scientific evidence shows this) but because of the curvature of the earth people in Egyp couldn't see it. Now, when a volcano erupts from far away it is observable, even today, that animals can detect the eruption and flee the area. It also explains why the sun went dark (pyroclastic clouds), why fire bombs fell from the sky (volcanic bombs). In modern times we would see the coverage live on TV and know it is a volcanic eruption. In ancient times they wouldn't even know what a volcano IS so would attribute it to an act of god.

As for moses himself he took the people across the REED sea, not the red sea as the translation to English was wrong. The reed sea is perhaps nowhere near as deep as the red sea. Now, when a volcanic eruption ocurrs under water the shockwave produces a tsunami. From last year we saw first hand that just before a tusnami hits the water recedes rapidly, then the wave hits. This explains why the isrealites walked across, and the following egyptians were struck by a massive wave.

Not an act of god, simply a natural event that could not be sufficiently explained by the knowledge of the time.

And I will repeat the reply I should have made: You're a loony, but I mean that only in the best of ways.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

A better question to ask (in my opinion) is that according to the bible God was fairly active over the 4000 years or so (can be worked out by the genealogy of the old testament).

Is God still so active? If he is where? If He's not, then why not?
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down

Reed and Red are both English words. You don't make any sense.

Are you saying Hebrew has an equivilent set of two words, one Reed one Red that also have similar spelling?

- Me

Quote Originally Posted by capsulecorpjx
    Reed and Red are both English words. You don't make any sense.

Are you saying Hebrew has an equivilent set of two words, one Reed one Red that also have similar spelling?
    oOOOHHHH - - - - SHUT UP
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down

But all these events did not occur within a short time span, did they? They must've had to occur over a period of say, a week.

Besides, there aren't any recorded Egyptian documentation about the events that are described in the story. It has to be an exaggeration of some sort.

God did not kill the first born sons of Egypt. He simply kidnapped them and had his way with them until he got bored, in typical pedophile fashion.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by capsulecorpjx
    In order for them to retain the concept of God as being an all powerful, benevolent being, would they have to reject the religous text on which their faith is based on?
    Well if God is all-powerful then he can do what he likes and no matter what he does he knows best - right? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysboy1987

Do you have any factual sources to back this up? Not suggesting that it isn't correct, just interested to know more.

The translation from the ORIGINAL language to English (Aramaic I think) was incorrect so where the Aramaic was referring to the Reed sea, the English was translated to mean the Red sea. Quite a difference in water depth considering the reed sea was only about 5 foot deep at the time.

Yes there is evidence. There are volcanic rocks at the underwater volcano that date to roughly the period of the ruling Pharoah mentioned. It's good in a way because it proves that Moses did exist, but the story has simply been exaggerated out of proportion due to a lack of understanding by the people of the time.

Obviously the amount of evidence is limited to rocks and such because only that kind of evidence would have survived so although there is evidence to support the volcanic eruption it is not conclusive.

Using that evidence is like putting 2 and 5 together. There are various other factors involved, like the impeccable timing of it all, the offset of the entire incident from the plagues, and the fact that it is unknown which 'evil pharaoh' this story refers to. Until that's known, there is no fixed date or frame of time for these events, and other theories like the 'really-strong-winds' theory and comet-impact theory can also factor just as well as the volcano.