dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error 75: Path/File access error

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error 75: Path/File access error

Hello,

I have a VB6 program which runs as a service on NT4 (using srvany.exe). The program opens a text file (which is created by another service), reads it and closes it. Everything worked well for months, but a couple of days ago is started giving error 75 "Path/File access error" after the open statement. I tried everything: Turned off the service that writes the file, used the literal file name (instaed of 'App.Path & "\MyFile.txt"'), even turned the server on and off... Nothing works. Any ideas?

TIA

Re: Error 75: Path/File access error

Did the file grow too big? Otherwise, has anything else changed?

Could the file be corrupted, have you run any Windows Updates lately, or run a Virus scan?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Corsair H100i v2 water cooler, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 500 GB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2010, VS 2010

Check the permissions.

The file size is less then 1K. AFAIK nothing was changed, at least not my applications. Can it be a problem with permissions? The service account has Change permissions on the folder.

The file is not corrupt: I deleted and created it again. Also I can view its contents using notepad. I don't know about Windows update, but there is an antivirus installed.

does any other file access it with a lock.

But hif he was able to open it or delete it then it shouldnt have a lock on it from any other program/service.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Corsair H100i v2 water cooler, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 500 GB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2010, VS 2010

There is another service that writes to the file, but when the problems started I stoped it and it didn't change anything.

Not always. It could be using it at the time the service is loaded.

If the other service is stopped it can still remain locked

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Was the AntiVirus updated recently? Look in the Event Viewer to see what shows up.

Here is a new piece of information: After the service unsuccessfully tries to open the file it locks it, and I can't delete or change the file name until the service is stopped.

Stop the service, and back-up and then delete the file. Then re-start the service. That should solve the problem

"Stop the service, and back-up and then delete the file. Then re-start the service"

This is the first thing I tried

I've ran a full virus scan and found lots of Win32/Pinfi.B running around. The antivirus reported all infected files as cured, but my problem still remains.

Well, maybe we can try to pinpoint the problem a bit (or maybe I just can't read)... If I follow you correct...

1) Another program creates a txt file and then closes that file.
    2) Your program, which opens as a service, opens the file, reads the contents then closes the file.

Your problem is occurring when you try to run the OPEN command on the file or when you try to 'read' the file into you app.? Can we put any sort of debugging into the app. to see exactly where it fails? (i.e., can you verify that the file is there and that you have permission on it (via the app) prior to trying your open statement... if all works, can you open the file but not read/copy the data to where ever else you need?

Also, I might recommend creating a whole new folder and a whole new txt document. Give it full permissions to everyone temporarily and see if your program can work with it then. If yes, try manipulating your security on the folder / file until you have it locked to where you would like it to be, incrementing to see where the problem might be. (i.e, don't jump from ALL to NO rights, or from EVERYONE to THISCOMPUTER\USER.)

I'm confident in these forums. I'm sure we can track this down for ya!

-Matthew-

Problem Solved!

It was the virus that did it. After a full scan AND a restart of the server everything retutrned to normal.

Thank You all very much for your help.

Ok Great, Mark your post as resolved.