Thread: video editing software

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

video editing software

Do any of you guys know of any good video editing software?

I have several hours of home video footage ripped to my PC as WMV files (but I can convert them as needed)

I need to edit the footage down but I can't find any good editor. windows movie maker (which is actually not horrible for free software) does a lot, but doesnt seem to have any splicing options.. you can just stick different clips together, or cut up clips by segments.. I need cutting room editing capabilities though.. doesnt have to be professional.. just needs to get the job done.

Re: video editing software

Pinnacle is not that expensive, but it has some really nasty bugs, that made me throw it away in the end. That was version 8 though. Think version 9 or 10 is out now.

If you know anyone with Adobe Premiere Pro, then thats the way to go. I borrowed a friends of mine computer to make a kick ass video from my summer vecation. It is really good. There is also an express version, but not sure if you can buy it stand alone. If you can, then it is probably one of the better things you can buy as a hobbyist.

- ØØ -

Try Ulead Video Studio 8 - It has lots of good options.

I've used ULEAD and SPEED RAZOR...

Now I've got SONY VEGAS (professional - not home studio). It is truly incredible. Big $$'s though!

You can download a 30 day fully function version (almost fully - cannot burn DBV's with it, translated - make MPEG4 files).

There is also a SONY VEGAS STUDIO version - that's the home use version - not so expensive.

I did a 30 minute compilation video for an anniversary party and I must say that this product is incredible!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

I think Adobe Premiere is probably the best, altho probably the most expensive 2.
    If I helped you out, please consider adding to my reputation!

-- "The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard" --

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

The digital video magazines and other reviews I've read recently do put Vegas and Premiere at the top of the list. I've never used Premiere myself, but when considering whether to drop $800 on Vegas or purchase Premiere - I went with the Sony product. Very nice audio capabilities and fully integrates with Sony DVD Architect - a really nice "final production" tool.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

which vegas? 5 or 6?

I have used 5, but havent had much luck with it. I was wondering if 6 had some good improvements...

Vegas 6 (actually 6.0D now, I think - I'm not at the office).

Download it from Sony - give it a try...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Vegas 6.0c is a 90 day trial. I still have 20 days left on mine (it seems like it goes really slowly).

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

Trust me I do ALOT of video editing. Vegas is easy to use and full of options! Totally worth the money!

Planet Xeoroaniar CC Posts:1,928,453,459,361

If you have the money then Premiere is pretty good
    Life is one big rock tune